The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HELP! (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2014, davidmag wrote:
Bob very well written...All magicians should read this. It's sad thing that some of them just don't get it. I guess Dorian is one of them...

Your guess is wrong then... As I said to Bob in another thread, I agree with what he said in this text.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
davidmag
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of davidmag
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2014, doriancaudal wrote:
Quote:
Bob very well written...All magicians should read this. It's sad thing that some of them just don't get it. I guess Dorian is one of them...

Your guess is wrong then... As I said to Bob in another thread, I agree with what he said in this text.

Well mister you said that most people who say "We cannot mix magic and mentalism" don't know what they are talking about, and generally don't have a real audience to perform for!
That means that if one perform Vanishing Bandana and Sneak Thief in one act is O.K. with you? I guess you are totally wrong... Or am I missing something?
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well mister you said that most people who say "We cannot mix magic and mentalism" don't know what they are talking about, and generally don't have a real audience to perform for!
That means that if one perform Vanishing Bandana and Sneak Thief in one act is O.K. with you? I guess you are totally wrong... Or am I missing something?

I NEVER EVER said that it is OK to perform Vanishing Bandana and Sneak Thief in one act, which would be totally silly imho...

Re-read my post, I was talking more generally, in terms of other dimensions, and not being stuck to magic and mentalism only. I think we miss so many opportunities when building a such "strong" barrier between both. Look into books, movies, science, etc. and you will see that it's possible to mix them.

Or stay blind.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:

Bob words are spot on.

In our school of thought, we sacrifice the option of performing several magical feats to keep or credibility factor alive. Less is more.

Hopefully magicians can be , at least open to the notion of Mentalism being not just a "branch of magic", rather a completely different tree, but in a practical manner, this inner discussion that we have has almost no impact in our audiences. A mediocre magician who says that is doing "Mentalism" without understanding the concept with proper perspective, will still create "tricks with mental flavor", and audiences gets that.

They can discern between a clever trickster and someone who really can read minds on stage.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
davidmag
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of davidmag
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I NEVER EVER said that it is OK to perform Vanishing Bandana and Sneak Thief in one act, which would be totally silly imho...

Re-read my post, I was talking more generally, in terms of other dimensions, and not being stuck to magic and mentalism only. I think we miss so many opportunities when building a such "strong" barrier between both. Look into books, movies, science, etc. and you will see that it's possible to mix them.

Or stay blind.

Look man, everybody who is 5 minutes in magic (or mentalism) knows that magic and mentalism are very related or linked together if you will. That is not an issue at all. Also mixing principles,methods,techniques,etc. of those two to achieve amazement isn't an issue. All I'm saying is that vanishing,penetration,transformation and telepathy,precognition,divination,clairvoyance are different worlds. I would never mix them.
Or maybe I'm blind...
Phoenicis
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Phoenicis
Thanks to everyone who responded with their suggestions - all apart from you John C - I found your comments juvenile, especially talking about me in the third person while offering no substantive encouragement or advice. My strong advice to you for 2015 John C is grow up and learn to help those around you.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11998 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2015, Phoenicis wrote:
Thanks to everyone who responded with their suggestions - all apart from you John C - I found your comments juvenile, especially talking about me in the third person while offering no substantive encouragement or advice. My strong advice to you for 2015 John C is grow up and learn to help those around you.

Rats! Foiled again.

Happy New Year!
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Phoenicis
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Phoenicis
Happy New Year John Smile
Phoenicis
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Phoenicis
I thought I'd give you an update. I decided to go ahead with the performance and have to say I'm glad I did. The performance itself went well - lots of audience laughs, good volunteer participation on stage, and more than a few "how on earth did you do that" in the bar afterwards. Not bad, considering it was my first live stage performance. I learned a lot from the experience - getting prop-angles right; connecting with an audience when you can't see them (really! the stage lights reflected back off the 'dry ice' smoke so much that whilst they could see me fine, I could only vaguely make out shapes); and building anticipation during a multi-part routine. The event was filmed for corporate promotion so I'm sure I'll learn more about where I can improve once I watch it back.

A big thank you to everyone in this thread, and for the many private messages of support. Also a huge thanks to David Penn for Mystery Solved - this played a significant part in the routine.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Well done mate, its onwards and upwards from now on.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HELP! (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL