The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Crotchet balls (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Midwestmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bartlett Tn
110 Posts

Profile of Midwestmagic
Dose anyone know where I can find the balls for a my Chop cup and Cups and balls Routine ? I am looking for the loaded balls also for Chop Cup !
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Sure, Dan! You will find everything you need here:

http://www.rnt2.com/

Doug
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
RnT2 is quite popular and I also like Brett Sherwood's products and service.

You can check out his site here: http://www.sherwoodmagic.com/

Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Here is what sold me on Sherwood's:

A vital characteristic that you will instantly notice upon handling these deluxe balls (and something which photographs cannot illustrate) is their perfect weight. Each Deluxe Ball weighs 12 grams and feels great in the hand. More importantly they drop instantly (ideal for wand spins etc.) and do not ‘float’ around in the hand or ricochet unexpectedly like cork or wood core balls. With feel alone, you will always know exactly where they are and exactly how they will react.

All cup and ball moves become much easier to execute, without fumbling. The center core is made from a rubber fabricated specifically for Brett Sherwood Magic Ltd; not too soft like a paddleball and not too hard like a Super Ball®. This rubber core gives the balls their perfect weight, so that they do not float or ricochet in the way that lighter cork or wooden balls often do.

When the ball(s) are dropped or added into a cup, the rubber core is soft enough to dramatically reduce noise from the impact. They are almost silent! They also bounce, so that if any unexpected drop occurs, the ball can quickly be re-caught without any interruption. You will never return to standard cork or wood center balls after you have worked with Brett Sherwood's Deluxe Balls!

Thanks Theodore! I like the Neon Green. I might spring for a set myself! Price is right!

Doug
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Sherwood products are great. The balls are matched to the cup. But if you already have a chop cup, they RNT2 is a better choice since you adjust them yourself.

If you want CC monkey fist balls, try Magicalaurie. They are also adjustable. She is a member of the Café. As well as Donnie (RNT2) and Brett Shrewood.

Hudson
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Hey Doug, Thanks for sharing that ad copy. I've never seen that.
I think Brett's balls are nice (I've owned a few sets), but I can assure you that wood core balls will drop to Earth and accelerate at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared, complying with Newtonian Laws of Universal Gravitation published in 1687 by Sir Isaac Newton - just like cork balls, or rubber balls, or cannon balls will. Smile
What I'm not so sure about is how any palmed ball can float around in the hand, or how a rubber core ball can "bounce" yet not "ricochet", since a ricochet, by its' very definition, IS a bounce. As we all know, when you drop any ball on your shoe, only chaos will determine where it goes, but I like the wood core, because if it hits the floor, it stays - just keep your feet out of the way Smile

And sometimes, cork has its place. This past year, I made the biggest Chopped Balls I've ever made from cork. Because I wanted 1 3/8" diameter balls, and the size of the magnet required to support the weight of a wood ball that large was too impractical, cork made it possible.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
You're welcome Doug! I like the rubber core for silence myself. I got a set before from RnT2 and didn't like how much they talk and decided to give Brett's a try. I just personally like his better. I also REALLY like the weight as mentioned in the ad copy. They are just great and worth the extra money.

55Hudson makes a great point though, if you are buying these for a chop cup you may want to consider the adjustable ones from RnT2. I purchased a straight set from Brett for a one cup routine that I do with my Morrissey chop cup, but I don't require the "chop" aspect for the routine.

Smile
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
The RNT crochet balls don't make any sound that I can discern. I wish Donnie made them in a rich purple color. It goes best with brass and gold colored cups.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Hey Leo,
I've been on a hunt for a regal purple color for a while. Last year I finally found an orange color that I liked a lot.
Too much of the available purple threads are too pastel. It's got to be bright, not too pale, but not too dark- and readily available.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Donnie, the Orange Tangerine color is beautiful! Cherry Bomb is too! Mine are 1 inch dark blue/sparkly. Great with the red closeup pad. I like the white, too.

Doug
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Thanks Donnie! I'm glad you've been on the case. I can't think of whipping out a set of brass cups with nothing but purple crochet balls. If you study the complementary color wheel, you will see that purple and yellow are mates. I also agree that the thread should be a rich dark purple.
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
I've always liked purple for the balls, as a contrast for the lemons. I make mine out of yarn (crocheted, of course) with old sponge balls stuffed inside, so they can squish a tiny bit and are silent. The weight is good for every move I've ever done with them, and they don't bounce or roll away so easily.

I used to sell sets of them, but stopped due to a lack of interest at the time. That and it makes my fingers hurt after a while. I'm not a kid anymore, and my hands can't take what they used to.

Though I'm sure it's ultimately easier just to buy balls online or whatever, if anyone wants a simple rundown on making sponge-core crocheted balls, drop me a PM, and I'll be happy to help with some pointers.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Nice!
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
At the risk of being horrendously off-topic, which I swear I shall keep to a minimum from here on out, honest: Theodore, having read a few of your posts, I have to say that you are one of the friendliest and most positive people I have seen here so far.

Thank you for being you!
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Hi, Donnie -- Add my vote for royal purple balls. David
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks for the kind words Mortimer Smile
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
279 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
I'll add my vote for RNT2 balls.
I ordered a set of 1 inch yellow stinger balls and a matching set of chop cup balls and they arrived today. Which was amazing as it was an international order and I wasn't expecting them for another 2 weeks. These are very nice balls, the colour is brilliant and the crocheting is top notch. The chop cup ball needed no adjusting at all. The only downside is that they talk a bit, but I'll figure out a way to compensate for that.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2014, Donnie Buckley wrote:
Hey Leo,
I've been on a hunt for a regal purple color for a while. Too much of the available purple threads are too pastel. It's got to be bright, not too pale, but not too dark- and readily available.

I'd love a set of deep rich purple, they'd look great with polished brass cups!
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Purple with brass would look great. But what color closeup pad would work with that? Would black be too dark as a background for purple (a purple that isn't too pastel)?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
A red one would work.
Reality is a real killjoy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Crotchet balls (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL