The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Questions about cups and magic wands. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Hey, at the finish the Parakeet appears on the perch. I love it.

--------------------------------------------
Oh, I found an antique Opium Pipe that when held inverted the end, silver engraved, looks like a wild beast with a beak.

I say, "If you don't like the trick we can light up."

Also found some Juju sticks in an antique shop featuring African items.

Just don't, PLEASE, use a black stick with white ends. That's like wearing a cheap tuxedo on stage. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Darck Ninja
View Profile
New user
SLC-UTAH
76 Posts

Profile of Darck Ninja
Maybe I'm just too old fashioned, but I use a standard Brass-Tipped wand, the heavier the better. You can get the "Magicians Wand" at PenguinMagic.com I highly recommend this wand.
Carl Andrews uses a Sharpie, which makes sense when table-hopping.
For me, I go brass-tipped. To me, the spin is more important that the tapping motion. I tap the cup very lightly. You don't have to whack the ***** thing like your trying to punch a hole in it, you just need the small sound of contact.
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He who does not know it and can no longer wonder, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed." Einstein
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Hey Pete,
I use a black wand with "white" tips. The black is solid polished ebony, while the white is solid polished sterling silver.
It may look like cheap tuxedo, it is definitely not. Smile

Oh and Jon, as always your motivation of why to tap or not to tap, goes a little deeper than most of us. Smile
That was an interesting point of view...I might reconsider stop tapping my cups!?

I use van Dokkums stainless steel cups these days so I better put my delicate precious wand in it's leather sheath! Hahaha!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Darck Ninja
View Profile
New user
SLC-UTAH
76 Posts

Profile of Darck Ninja
HA! I use a set of soft copper cups until I can afford some JP brass cups. I have worked with them, but I don't own a set.
Anyhow, I again say that tapping isn't necessarily bad, if you know where to tap. You can even use the hardwood part of a brass-tipped wand if you are really that nervous about it. I still say that you should just tap it lightly, however.
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He who does not know it and can no longer wonder, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed." Einstein
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Don't forget you can weight the ends of the wand to improve spinning and still have a wooden wand. Shamrock Magic makes them this way and so do I (only for myself).

Kirk
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Quote:
On 2004-01-31 09:47, ullig wrote:
Have a look at
http://www.roykueppers.com/Legendary/prod05.htm
He also makes custom wands.

Ulli

Roy has made some extremely nice custom items for me, just to my spectators, the things other guys dream and drool over. No reason not to check out his wands.

I have a set of Phoenix cups and the Iron wood wand has had foil gold hand rubbed into the grooves (by me)...very nice, and now very nice to look at.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
I also bought one of the wands they sell at Penguin, however, I didn't buy it there I got mine for $16 (from Magic Warehouse) when Penguin was asking $80!?!

Anyway, I also made a few wands from oak dowels. The dowels work very nicely in most respects and you can make the "to order" They are very nice to use except for spinning moves. For that, my heavier "Penguin" wand is superior.

Also, chopsticks are very good strolling wands. I have a set made from coconut wood I picked up in Maui, nicely carved and with a beautiful grain.
Learn something new everyday.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of my favorite wands is one that was made by Pressley Guitar many years ago. It is stainless steel with hard rubber tips. There are brass bands between the tips and the body of the wand.

It is safe to use on cups, but looks very good. It also unscrews in the middle.

Some of the copper cups I have seen are made of very soft material, and I would be very careful about using them with brass or steel tipped wands. Even light taps can produce nicks and dents.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Hi, Bill! Sounds like a nearly perfect wand. Is it made by anyone else now?

Just won a Shamrock all-wood wand on eBay. The shaft is Bocote and the tips are Cocobolo. I don't know if it unscrews at the middle (I hope it does), but I picked it up for next to nothing. No one else even bid on it!

I've always wanted a wand made from lignum vitae for the romanticism of it. I wonder, though, if a wood that hard would be as likely to dent or ding a cup as a metal-tipped wand. Any experience?

:nose:
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Does the ball appear inside the cup faster if you hit the cup harder?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
Quote:
On 2004-02-29 13:43, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

Yes, but you must be very very careful. If you hit the cup to hard the ball will keep going and bore its way right thru the table! Smile !!!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-02-29 11:30, John Clarkson wrote:
Hi, Bill! Sounds like a nearly perfect wand. Is it made by anyone else now?

Just won a Shamrock all-wood wand on eBay. The shaft is Bocote and the tips are Cocobolo. I don't know if it unscrews at the middle (I hope it does), but I picked it up for next to nothing. No one else even bid on it!

I've always wanted a wand made from lignum vitae for the romanticism of it. I wonder, though, if a wood that hard would be as likely to dent or ding a cup as a metal-tipped wand. Any experience?

:nose:

I don't think anyone has reissued this.

I haven't worked with a lignum vitae wand. But from experience, I can tall you that it is a slippery wood, greasy in feeling, and it has a tendency to warp.

Posted: Feb 29, 2004 2:43pm
--------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2004-02-29 13:43, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

Only if you hit it in the right spot! Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
On the other side of the issue, just saw Paul Gertner do his cups routine at NEMCON…very impressive thing that uses ball bearings.

The nice wand that assembles and has the rubber-taped tips is very useful and has a great feel. Anyone using cork tips?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Cork would be interesting. I think it would have a tendency to break, though. However, it would break the magician from pounding on his cups.

By the way, part of the "I never hit my cups hard enough to damage them" argument reminds me of another one that I have heard from people who play the doumbek -- a middle eastern drum that is used to accompany belly dancers. These drums are played with the bare hands. The first rule a doumbek player is taught is never to play the drum while wearing finger rings. Finger rings cause nicks in the head. You can always spot someone who has learned this the hard way by looking at the edge of his drum. Drum shops are very adamant about making people take their rings off before they try out a doumbek.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

snedglow
View Profile
New user
Pine Grove, PA
94 Posts

Profile of snedglow
Has anyone seen the video performance of the Penguin Cups at Penguin Magic?

The little twirl thing the guy does with the wand by twirling and bringing it past his hand when he does the vanish is excellent.

Does anyone else use that? How do you suggest I practice it? I practice my magic in the basement, normally, but realized right away that won't fly with that twirling gig. My wand hits the hard basement floor too often.

I'd be happy to hear anyone's advice with the vanish and twirl in that video.

Thanks much!
-Randy
[email]rsnedden@closeupmagic.org[/email]
Smile
~~~~~
“Chance is but the pseudonym of God for those particular cases which He does not choose to subscribe to openly with His own signature ... ”
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
It´s a version of the Mora/Vernon Wand Spin. You will find it on Michael Ammar´s DVD "Complete Cups & Balls", Vol 2. I understand it´s also in the book version. If you do C & Bs, this material is almost essential. It´s just great.

You need some weight on the wand to do the spin well. I use Ammar´s Mercury Wand which appears on the DVD. It takes some practice (and lots of dropping on the floor, ball and wand) to get it right. Once it works...it´s an INCREDIBLE vanish. You will love it.

Good luck.

Snedglow,

One more thing regarding this wand spin.

Practice in front of a mirror with something soft underneath, like carpeting, to cushion the fall each time you drop the wand. You will deafen the noise and damage your wand less. Once you get the spin right, you will stop dropping the thing and will even fool yourself! It´s that good.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
froxen
View Profile
New user
Singapore
38 Posts

Profile of froxen
Just like to share with you guys that shamrock has some wands on sale on eBay now. That have some very nice looking ones there now made of exotic wood...
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the Mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and science." - Albert Einstein
Chickens and Beandip
View Profile
New user
Canada
83 Posts

Profile of Chickens and Beandip
IF you are really cheap use chopsticks from last nights dinner.
If you knit use knitting needles.
if you are a musician use a conducters baton or drum sticks.
If you are an artist use a pencil.
if you are a house wife use a broom!

To my knowlege the wand is just used as a misdirection/concealment tool, much as it is in coin magic.

late.
B)
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:

To my knowlege the wand is just used as a misdirection/concealment tool, much as it is in coin magic.

Here we go again! I think the argument of the wand in some corners of magic, is like the question of the chicken and the egg.

Both sides are correct, depending on the argument. I just happen to agree with the wand's use being more important for what it hides.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Thanks to Bill Palmer and his guidance, I now have a set of carved stainless steel cups that I am in love with.

I can not imagine hurting them with my wooden wand, but to get a better tooth (grip) from the tip for turning over the cups, you may want to do what I did for my old Phoenix cups.

I got some Rubber Coating Dip from the hardware store. It comes in several collors and you just dip a ½ inch or so of the wand tip into the container. It looks very “clean” and really grabs at the top (bottom) of the cups.

I now use a wood wand that I got from stevens with three screwed on sections. It is called a 2 in one wand and is working out well. I will be coating it to use less pressure on the screw sections when I tilt cups over.

The product is called Plasti Dip, I think they have a website.

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Questions about cups and magic wands. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL