We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Questions about cups and magic wands. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Those stainless steel cups are hard to damage. Silver cups are another matter.

I had James Riser make a custom made ebony and silver wand to use with the Sherwood cups. It shore is purty. I'll post pictures in a couple of days.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2004-03-08 16:26, Chickens and Beandip wrote:
...or drum sticks.

This is what I use for some shows.

A drummer's practice stick. There are no tips on a practice stick. It's the same at both ends. Rounded. It's lacquered nicely, spins great, cheap, etc.

Go to your local music store and ask for a practice drum stick.

The one I got was purple with a 2" tip that was un-painted.

It was not quite what I was after but I never modified it.

For a comedy bit, one time, I used a wooden kitchen spoon and sawed off the "spoon" part of it and rounded the end a bit.

I was able to show where I got my "first" magic wand from .. to my wife's displeasure.

chuckle, chuckle.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
jaxonlee
View Profile
New user
Butte, MT
71 Posts

Profile of jaxonlee
I've an old Churchwarden pipe in my collection which I take to Ren Faires/SCA events, etc. that I have occasionally used as a makeshift wand. I just have to be more cautious of my audience's ages.
Nik_Mikas
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
159 Posts

Profile of Nik_Mikas
If I remember correctly, Vernon had some of the rarest cups of all time, yet used a solid metal wand. I also use a metal tipped wand on any type of cup without damage. Perhaps it is in the way you are using it on the cup. If you are hitting the top for effect, obviously do not hit very hard. I disslike hitting the top, say for one tap after a flourishy spin. If you are using the wand to tip the cup over, you should rest the wands tip on the indented section to toppel it. This should cause no scratching or denting whatsoever.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Vernon's wand was silver, the same hardness as the cups. So with care, little damage. He never bashed his cups with the wand, but then again, he didn't need to.

Kirk g
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Vernon's cups were totally damaged.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Ron,

Tell me more.

Kirk
cajuninms
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of cajuninms
I just use a knife with my cups and balls and it doesn't do anything for mine
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1116 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Vernon's cups, from what I know, were dented so badly that when Persi Diaconis (I think) asked Vernon if he'd like to trade his used set for an identical set of cups (apparently there were two sets brought over from Iran), Vernon was more than happy to trade. From what I hear, the second set got scuffed up as well.

Of course, the Silver Cups were just two sets that The Professor used. From what I have heard, he used a set of Porper Cups, and other sets as well.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I have read good reviews of hardwood wands made by Dickie Bennett of Austin, TX. However, the link to his site isn't working.

Anyone know if he's still trading & whether he has a new website?

Thanks

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you use Rogers' baseballs, use a toy baseball bat for a wand.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I like the hollow five trick wand that magic inc used to sell. If you use cig buts you can also use it as a blow gun...

Not suggested for use for younger magicians and to be used only for target shooting by certified blow gun magicians and it may have a danger - you could put your eye out with one of these...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-04-13 01:20, MJ Marrs wrote:
Vernon's cups, from what I know, were dented so badly that when Persi Diaconis (I think) asked Vernon if he'd like to trade his used set for an identical set of cups (apparently there were two sets brought over from Iran), Vernon was more than happy to trade. From what I hear, the second set got scuffed up as well.

Of course, the Silver Cups were just two sets that The Professor used. From what I have heard, he used a set of Porper Cups, and other sets as well.

Actually, there wasn't much difference in the two sets. He took very good care of them. I saw the set he used in 1972, and it was in fine shape. He protected them. When Persi Diaconis made the trade, he let the Professor use his set for a while, to see if he liked them. Then he went to pick them up. He took the set that the Professor offered him, and inspected it closely. Finally, he said, "I see you have decided to trade with me."

Vernon said, "How did you know?"

"I marked mine."

So they couldn't have been too badly dinged up.

The "Porper Cups" he used might have been a set of the Unique cups by Harry Stanley, which were Stanley's attempt to make a "three ring" cup. He called them the Vernon cups. According to John Wright, who has a set of these cups, they look almost exactly like the Porper cups, except that they are spun, rather than CNC machined. And they will nest with the Porper cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
As for the wand, I've tried quite a few, but the GoldenRod is the only one that I will even consider now. It's heavy, well balanced, and you aren't going to hurt the thing at all. It's made of brass with the middle covered with black shrink tubing.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Close to fully correct, Bill... Persi told me the cups were in a paper bag and they did the swap at the Castle. The Professor took Persi's to his Apt. and came back with his olde set.

Do you know how Persi got them?

Originally George Karger, a photographer for Life Magazine had them smuggled into the U.S. from Persia by someone he knew with 'diplomatic immunity' -- and Karger got a set for his help.

Karger retired to open an antique shop in NY city... and Persi later found this out. He went by to the shop and the cups were not together, but all three were there.

Persi asked "How much do you want for these metal flower pots?" Karger said, "Not for sale."

He returned and made an offer he "couldn't refuse."

I understand Larry Jennings' widow has the cups now and has turned down $1,500.00 -- can anyone confirm this?

When Gazzo was in Boston (while Persi was teaching at Harvard - he's now at Stanford), Persi was so impressed with Gazzo he invited him into his home for a visit and showed him the Vernon cups.

Stay tooned... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is interesting. Ken Klosterman has a set of engraved cups that look like the Vernon cups.

So does David Ben.

So, there may be an "unauthorized" third set floating around there somewhere.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I love my Cups and my brass tip wand, every dent tells a story. I tap them, whack them and generally abusive with my cups and my wand. I snapped my first wand, that was made from rose wood I think. I avoid the wands that screw in the middle they will just give in the way I treat them.
I use the Garry Animals cups, they take all the punishment I through at them and they look great tarnished and dented.
Tapping and whacking makes a good noise, that gets you more attention.
Mario
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Mario:

You need one of my GoldenRod™ wands.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi Bill
That sounds interesting!
Do you have any more info?
Mario
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
I have a plastic hollow wand that is filled with oil and floating stars and moons. I've had it for years. I don't do well spinning it, but it's an eye catcher to the audience because of the floating stuff inside. I recently purchased the Johnson cups and my wand doesn't seem to put scratches on them. But then I use a light touch to in case.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Questions about cups and magic wands. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL