The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » ForeSign by Richard Osterlind (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
643 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Really enjoyed it.
Nice presentation. Good premise.
Can be a little lengthy in time if the spectator chooses a high number as it happened in the actual performance.

Rgds
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4131 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I really like Richard's modifications and improvements which led to his "ForeSign". David's and Eric's comments stimulated me to construct my own envelope (from scratch) just using one of my own envelops, address labels and some material I believe most of us have already in their offices... Smile The result (see below) is a different/individual and really strong and stable envelope. Jan

Click here to view attached image.
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
The only part of Richard's version I don't quite get is the writing of the participant's name. Can anyone outline for me what they feel the benefit of this is?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4131 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Get your point, you have certainly to find a (light hearted) reason for doing so to create a sense making outer reality. The true reason is just a prove... But of course we would never articulate it. I know what to say, it is a light hearted minor verbal joke, plays well, but it wouldn't fit other performers. I believe everyone will find something appropriate. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1178 Posts

Profile of caigy
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
The only part of Richard's version I don't quite get is the writing of the participant's name. Can anyone outline for me what they feel the benefit of this is?


I do not have ForeSign yet but do intend getting it in the new year.

In the right setting, writing the participant's name possibly brings a more personal and emotional feel to the routine? After the reveal and as a unique souvenir, you could encourage them to take a photo of you holding the prediction with their name on it.

Maybe instead of asking the participant their name, with a little bit of p**-s**w work, or by using your favourite information gathering method, why not predict the participant's name, favourite colour, place in the world, phone number etc along with the freely chosen symbol, as a double-whammy outcome?

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
https://virya-uk.com/
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
643 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2014, caigy wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
The only part of Richard's version I don't quite get is the writing of the participant's name. Can anyone outline for me what they feel the benefit of this is?


I do not have ForeSign yet but do intend getting it in the new year.

In the right setting, writing the participant's name possibly brings a more personal and emotional feel to the routine? After the reveal and as a unique souvenir, you could encourage them to take a photo of you holding the prediction with their name on it.

Maybe instead of asking the participant their name, with a little bit of p**-s**w work, or by using your favourite information gathering method, why not predict the participant's name, favourite colour, place in the world, phone number etc along with the freely chosen symbol, as a double-whammy outcome?

Paul Mc.


That an excellent twist.
Pure mentalism!!

Kudos
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4131 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, good thinking! Thanks for sharing. And another thought: this effect may gain, if you repeat it. Another reason to construct own envelops, so you could use a second one for the repetition. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3966 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It doesn't matter what you write. It could be a mock serious Test Subject "1". It could be a nickname you give them. I've even drawn a line under the "hot spot." The key is to show the prediction side blank and mark it somehow so the next time they see it, the prediction is there.

The backgrounder important too. Talk about Ghostbusters...or the history of Zenner symbols...or explain what each symbol might mean...talk about anything that focuses attention on the "test" about to be conducted. If you go too fast, it's a magic trick. Take your time, present it properly...and this is an absolute pee-their-pants stunner. So far I've used it only in parlor style shows while I refine my presentation. But I think this prop is on track for being built into my main show next year.

The beauty of FS is that you can go almost anywhere with it. It's like a utility prop in that respect. The premise is dead simple and will play strongly for all age groups. I don't see why it wouldn't okay as well for large groups as little ones. I'm using it on Christmas Day for free show I'm doing at my father in law's old folks home. Many of these people are really old...and infirm...and not quite all there. But I expect it is going to be one of the highlights of the performance.

I love this thing.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I received Foresign yesterday and really like it and its sheer simplicity.

I have already had opportunity to use and present it twice and it certainly packs a punch.

Highly recommended.

Neil
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2310 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
This one looks really good!
May I ask what it is that may not make it suitable for close up?
Is there a gaff that's clearly visible if spec is too close?
No trying to expose, just curious before hitting the buy button.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I have used it in close up - on a one to one basis - several times, and with a small table separating me and the spectator. It worked perfectly and nothing was detected, but then why should it be ;-)

If anything, the cards are probably a bit bigger than the norm for ususal close up (ie bigger than the standard size ESP cards), but again this was not an issue.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2310 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Neil, thanks for your reply!
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2310 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Received this yesterday , love it, love it...and I see no reason why it cannot be presented reasonably close up.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
748 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Atlas:

I was amused by the LACK of response of the "Three Dog Night" song reference...well, we all get a young crowd every now & again...in which that happens.

Just go on the premise that today's young people know nothing about pop culture & world events --prior to 1990! (ssh, that's not a joke).
B. Edwards
View Profile
New user
Ohio
50 Posts

Profile of B. Edwards
Will have to check this out, thanks. Smile


Brian
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
748 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Beware of any "back-lighting" behind you....because neither the envelope nor the 5 ESP plaques are completely opaque.

If unsure of the lighting around you, just hold the props directly in front of your body during the routine.

This is a great effect.
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
643 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2015, Moxahalla wrote:
Beware of any "back-lighting" behind you....because neither the envelope nor the 5 ESP plaques are completely opaque.

If unsure of the lighting around you, just hold the props directly in front of your body during the routine.

This is a great effect.


This is a very valuable tip but without some kind of helper how you can check it how it will be during the performance??
Bringing them closer to the body would be a solution...
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
3103
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
If you watch how I handled them in the video, up and out of the envelope and then directly in front of it alleviates any problems.

And thanks for the comments about the performance - I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Best,

Atlas
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Earlier in this thread, someone thought this might be unsuitable for close-up - and I see the thought return towards the last few posts.

The day this arrived in my mail (Gee, it seems a long time ago!) I walked over to a Burger King after picking up my mail. While munching and drooling, I started playing around with it - even before I viewed the DVD. (I was familiar with El Numero.) One fellow stopped and asked about it. I went ahead and did the El Numero effect with it (which is a bit different from ForeSign) and the props made it simpler than ever before. Another couple of people stopped. Then another. I performed it only once (all the way through, having been stopped a few times by new arrivals) and had NO difficulty working close up. Even with people on all sides but one, and that one "free" side was a window.

Watch what you're doing, keep an eye on your audience, and treat the props as Bret Maverick would treat a poker hand...you'll have no trouble.

*jeep! and God Bless!
---Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Did this for the first time today.
fantastic prop.
great reaction.
audible gasps
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » ForeSign by Richard Osterlind (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL