The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Hand painted cockroaches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
I read this effect many years ago in on the world wide web, but I can't find it again. Can someone help me find the web site? I've tried google but I can't find it.

Here's what I remember of the effect.

1. Hand paint some cockroaches using very bright colored acrylic paint. The brighter the better. Ensure the paint is labelled "non-toxic". Only paint the top of the cockroaches.

2. Let the cockroaches go.

3. Mix a little starch powder with water and a few drops of corn syrup. Cockroaches eat it. They love it. Smear a little onto a wall or any other surface. This is the target area. You don't need to smear much...about a square inch. That's a lot of food for them. Add new food every week. The cockroaches will learn that the target area is a permanent food source. Ensure there are no other obvious food sources, ie, keep the kitchen very clean.

The cockroaches will always go to the target area when they're hungry.

Now, Imagine people are visiting you, and they see red, blue, green, yellow, pink, etc cockroaches climb the wall, and stop on the target area (to feed).

I can just picture their reaction.

I'm sure you could turn this into an effect, ie, point to the wall and "summon insects".

Actually, I wouldn't do this, but others might.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
m.s.magic
View Profile
Regular user
England-newcastle-
105 Posts

Profile of m.s.magic
Sorry but I can't really see an effect here, I get what your saying and all but if I saw this at someone's house I would just think they were tramps and didn't clean the house.
best regards tom Smile
What is real and what is an illusion ? it all depends on your perception, reality is only limited by the boundries of the imagination, and imagination can defy the laws of everything - Criss Angel
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Somehow I don't think this was originally published as a magic effect, but more as a way of grossing your guests out.

I understand that crocs are fairly common down there in Australia.

If you got some nice acrylic paints and hand painted the backs of some baby crocs, you could train them to come to a certain place by putting food out.

Then when they got to be 20 or so years old ...

Maybe that's not a good idea after all.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The phrase 'hand painted cockroaches' ... gonna search on ebaY for that one. Wow!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
To put it bluntly, anybody putting cockroaches out in MY home is getting a free trip to the hospital! Smile

There are several reasons, not the least of which is the old addage "as difficult to get rid of as roaches."

Do that to an upscale to rich client and you will NEVER work at a society party in your area, ever, even, ever.

Why don't people think of such things? Smile Smile

Smile

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
330 Posts

Profile of ellisd
You might want to consider checking out the multiplying cockroaches from arlen studios.The creature and winter spirit they put out are pretty cool. Smile
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2553 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Perhaps you could paint a word with the feeding paste and their bodies would spell out the word, or card value and suit?

s

p.s. I am in no way suggesting this is a good idea, just being silly
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
I detect a lack of enthuisasm regarding these multicolored roaches.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
7th, do you understand the sanitary implications of you subject matter? These are NOT nanobots. These are living creatures with their own biological imperatives. The trick where you use ONE stuck to a stamp to make a stamp move on the wall is about as far as a performer can safely take the critters. A whole swarm used to reenact a scene from 'Willard' in Technicolor might be great for a movie, just not so safe or sanitary as a regular performance piece for the working performer.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Hmmm. Like the roaches themselves, this thread just won't die. Smile

I still don't see the effect in this, where's the magic in a swarm of handpainted roaches?
SnakeBabe
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
90 Posts

Profile of SnakeBabe
Quote:
On 2004-02-01 23:28, Lee Darrow wrote:

Do that to an upscale to rich client and you will NEVER work at a society party in your area, ever, even, ever.

Why don't people think of such things? Smile Smile

Smile

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.

I just wanted to join in on this one Lee,
Steve and I do work with roaches (and spiders, scorpions and snakes) and often work society or high-end private parties.

It is as simple as this:
When a client comes to Las Vegas they call an agency for a strolling/close up magician. The agent asks “do you want a magician or a magician that will freak out your guests?”

We don’t get every job but we offer something that is signature to us such as cockroaches and no mater how up scale it is people love to get freaked out. We have worked all ranges of parties from Pam Anderson & Tommy Lee to Black tie bankers and investors. These people in their long gowns & tuxedos more than half the time ask to hold the bugs! Of course we don’t let them but it just goes to show my Steven was right on when he said perception and reality don’t always match.

Just my experience..
Hugs and Hissessss,
Maria
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Maria: two words - Health Inspectors.

Cross them and you won't work. Period.

While Vegas is a bit different about such things, as it is about a lot of things, do an act like that in Chicago and the Health department will close you down, destroy your bugs and hit you with a fine. That's the law.

And, from what I've seen in other cities in my short 32 years of performing, that rule holds true just about everywhere.

Now, if you are working an outdoor gig, where there is no food, you might be able to pull it off, but inside, especially anywhere that they have a food service license, and you will get shut down - hard. With an attached fine for "introducing vermin into a food service area."

That's the way it reads in Chicago, Milwaukee, New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Phoenix, San Francisco, Hollywood, Tuscon, Edmonton, Alberta (Canada), Philadelphia and Peoria, Illinois.

The reason I know this is that I used to do Doc Rothbart's Famous Moth Trick and got used to having to ask about it after having to pay a fine for a violation in Detroit.

All of those cities are places that told me, in no uncertain terms, that such an effect was not allowed. And they gave me a list of critters that were illegal. Roaches were on every list, universally!

I also note that you do not seem to be working in people's homes, but in other venues. I am well aware that the hotels in Vegas have very, very aggressive anti-vermin programs in place. While this is the case in many places, the deliberate introduction of roaches in particular, is often a misdemeanor crime.

I'm also willing to bet that, if you were to check with the Health department there, you would get the same response: "Roaches?! In a dining establishment?! NO WAY!!!" from them.

Sorry to disagree, I'll stand by my initial statement.

Been there, done that, got fined, checked it out. Should have done the checking first! Smile

If you can pull it off, though, more power to you! No offense intended.

And I love your sign off line!

Lee Darrow
"The Man Everybody Sleeps For" (sm)
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Hand painted cockroaches (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL