The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Orion....NASA is at it again! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm so happy we seem to have a "Goal" again. Just in time for my 5 year old planet loving boy to get excited about interplanetary travel .
http://blogs.nasa.gov/orion/ Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Doesn't NASA's recent activity violate the pact the U.S. made with the beings on the dark side of the moon?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
They are in negotiations ..but honestly ... there is no dark side.... But there is one more gig...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUAZpgUmCSs Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2014, Slim King wrote:
I'm so happy we seem to have a "Goal" again. Just in time for my 5 year old planet loving boy to get excited about interplanetary travel .

Gee, maybe I'll be able to get down there and watch one of THESE take off. I always regretted that I didn't get to see a shuttle launch.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
They are awesome even if you are miles away. You can see these go off from anywhere in Central Florida if the weather is right.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Since my son moved to Florida, I've got a good excuse to travel there for a rocket launch. It would be a blast to take the grandkids there.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:

The problem is that a new president will come into office in a couple of years and change NASA's "goal". Then they throw away billions in research and development and start over on a new goal that will not be completed. What a waste ... politics and space travel don't mix well. Unless the government stops this nonsense SpaceX, a private company that can keep the same goal, will be the first to send people to Mars. Reaching Mars is the goal of SpaceX, and they are doing a decent job. They already resupply the International Space Station and have a contract with NASA to deliver astronauts to the space station in about three years. They are currently developing a Heavy Lift rocket that will be more powerful than anything since the Saturn V. A quote about their Falcon 9 Heavy from the SpaceX website: "Falcon Heavy was designed from the outset to carry humans into space and restores the possibility of flying missions with crew to the Moon or Mars." Their 5th resupply mission to the ISS launches on December 16th. Unless politicians start leaving NASA alone and letting them do their jobs, then companies like SpaceX will be the future of space travel. They may be anyway.

SpaceX is also developing technology that will allow them to return rockets and capsules to earth and vertically soft land them under power so they can be reused. I believe the launch on December 16th will include an attempt to return and land the first stage of the rocket onto a platform in the ocean. Check out this video of a test launch of a rocket 10 stories tall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZDkItO-0a4

On two previous launches to the ISS they have controlled the first stage rocket, brought it back to earth, hovered it over the ocean before letting it fall into the ocean. Pretty cool stuff, and more advanced than what NASA is doing.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
They are in negotiations ..but honestly ... there is no dark side.... But there is one more gig...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUAZpgUmCSs Smile

True, there is no dark side. Just a side we cannot see from Earth. Every part of the moon has day and night just like Earth.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Since my son moved to Florida, I've got a good excuse to travel there for a rocket launch. It would be a blast to take the grandkids there.

Come any time except summer. Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
In the 70s and 80s, the wife and I use to go to Florida in June and July to go to Disneyworld.
Never bothered me that much. In 95, we took my daughter to WDW for her birthday... in August!
Big difference. Everyone was cranky. Not just the family, total strangers in the Magic Kingdom were sniping at their children.
We ended up leaving just before a big hurricane (Katrina, I think) came through. I remember the south bound highway being deserted except for wave after wave of utilities trucks heading south.

Anyway, I'd also been considering upping stakes and moving down the Florida, they have Wal*Marts, I could get a transfer. That week cured me of that thought. I came to the conclusion that I didn't really want to live in Florida anyway, I wanted to live in Disneyworld! As that wasn't going to be very practical, we gave up the idea.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
My son lives about a block and a half from the beach in New Smyrna. They love it. His oldest son has become quite the surfer 'dude'! Even got a sponsor. I don't think they mind the heat.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
In the 70s and 80s, the wife and I use to go to Florida in June and July to go to Disneyworld.
Never bothered me that much. In 95, we took my daughter to WDW for her birthday... in August!
Big difference. Everyone was cranky. Not just the family, total strangers in the Magic Kingdom were sniping at their children.
We ended up leaving just before a big hurricane (Katrina, I think) came through. I remember the south bound highway being deserted except for wave after wave of utilities trucks heading south.

Anyway, I'd also been considering upping stakes and moving down the Florida, they have Wal*Marts, I could get a transfer. That week cured me of that thought. I came to the conclusion that I didn't really want to live in Florida anyway, I wanted to live in Disneyworld! As that wasn't going to be very practical, we gave up the idea.

You can get a pass and go to Disney World every day of the year for less than $2 a day. that's close to living there Smile
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
The timeline I saw was that a manned mission to Mars could take place in about 20 years. Does that jibe with what you guys heard?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:

You can get a pass and go to Disney World every day of the year for less than $2 a day. that's close to living there Smile

Not really. You'd have to leave at the end of the day and go back home. Home wouldn't be IN Disneyworld.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Think 'Camo-Tarp'!
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Well Ed ... Yes ..You'd have to leave... and at times they have dogs that make sure you don't hang around ...BUT ....The Animal Kingdom opens at 8 or 9 and often times the Magic Kingdom doesn't close until 2 AM ... Usually something is open to 9 or later under any conditions (With an hour or so to clear the park) .. So you could easily spend 12 to 17 hours a day in the parks..So a quick nap in the car and you are good to go the next day Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Orion....NASA is at it again! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL