The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Seeking Clarity (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9058 Posts

Profile of funsway
You are at a family holiday gathering.

You feel called to perform something …

a) someone asked you,
b) your ego needs bolstering,
c) you lost a bet,
d) you want to impress your cousin’s new girl friend
whatever …

you spy a bowl of assorted nuts on the table – five varieties in shells.

With open hand gestures to draw victims in you ask your brother Freddie
to name his favorite type of nut in the bowl.

He says, “filbert” because he has never tried one or something.

You open your left hand to reveal a Filbert alone on your palm.

Now, without concern over method …

have you just demonstrated:

1) you can read his mind?
2) you are a Mentalist?
3) you can do magic tricks?
4) you guess good?
5) you are an idiot?

assuming you get some encouraging applause you continue.

You say to sister Lenora, “I will secretly take one of those nuts into my fist. You try and read my mind and tell me which kind of nut I chose.”

She says, “almond.” You open your hand and prove that she is correct. Same questions.

Now you repeat the experiment four more times and she is always correct no matter what nut she names. Same questions.

…………………….

regardless of what answers you tell yourself, what story will the observers tell of the demonstration? What they say to your face is not important. What is the story?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Ignoring the fact that performing for family (I'm talking mentalism here) can be a tricky thing to pull off anyway.....

With regard to Lenora, you asked her to read you mind and tell you what kind of nut you are holding.
She did so, so the only inference you can expect an audience to take from that is that she read your mind.
Assuming they would believe what you say.

With part one it could be 1,3 or 4 in my opinion. (and/or 5 depending on presentation)

What story people give to the event cannot rely only on the effect itself.
They will always colour it with experiences from their lives.
To some people everything is a trick.

Family have prior knowledge of your background which may colour their "story" .

Steve
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17671 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I think most will NOT believe Lenora has any Psychic ability but several WILL believe that YOU do. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I choose idiot.... but to be kind I ad savant at the end.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Plot twist participant number one is fatally allergic to nuts....
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
For ME, the answer is that I'm a mentalist who uses tricks... I do routines for my family because they enjoy them and I want their feedback. But I don't expect them to believe what I'm doing is real, whereas with a real audience, that is the goal (at least for the duration of the performance).
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
796 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
It's family so 'a' (someone asked me), 2-3-4 at first (I am a mentalism, I can do magic tricks and I am good at guessing but I am no mind reader) but if I can repeat it over and over, I might be psychic... but I doubt I will ever graduate to 1 in their mind...
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
..luck and potentially, fun...

"what story will the observers tell of the demonstration?" - we can't say what the observers will tell of the demo, this is an imaginary tale isn't it...so they will say whatever reinforces our preconceptions of them, ourselves and how we feel the world works...what we choose to believe they will say will only ever be a reflection of what we want to hear (or maybe project)...
I've asked to be banned
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
5)
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
My reaction would be, "Either eat the nuts or don't, but stop playing with them!"
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
I think people are overlooking (or deliberately ignoring) the rhetorical, philosophical nature of the questions here. This is actually a good, provocative post in light of a couple of the threads that have been emerging in Penny over the last 2 weeks.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2014, C.J. wrote:
I think people are overlooking (or deliberately ignoring) the rhetorical, philosophical nature of the questions here. This is actually a good, provocative post in light of a couple of the threads that have been emerging in Penny over the last 2 weeks.

Maybe - but without context I feel the no provocation Smile

I mean, "family" - are these regular family members who always watch a person working on effect presentations i.e. alpha and beta tests?
Is the family in on the secrets already because the kids walk into the sanctum sanctorum and read Tarbell, 13 steps, etc. and like playing with with clear forcing bags
Is this an extended family gathering? Are you the expected "uncle" who always does walk around and entertain people?
Is this the first time demonstrating this effect? Have you done card tricks in the past or you always have portrayed being a mentalist?
Is the effect mind projection, prediction, or prophecy, or reality reengineering... or maybe its all a dream....

I guess I am need clarity on what the secret philosophical question is - is it "are you a mentalist when you decide to do an impromptu effect for your family involving anticipating their guesses?" I am not sure
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
If it were me doing it, I'd choose the hidden option 6: it takes one to know one. XD

It runs in my family; I come from a long line of nuts.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9058 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2014, Dr Spektor wrote:

I guess I am need clarity on what the secret philosophical question is

the secret is that there is no "secret philosophical question."

I am honestly interested in how performing Mentalist consider "know you audience" and how they feel about "how a spectator views an effect?"

Certainly there are psychological components to one's self appraisal. Actually, I would never perform such an effect for my family at all.

my "hidden agenda" is to see if responses to a fictional scenario are more helpful than those received when posting an idea or opinion.

I does appear that asking a question rarely gets the help desired -- so maybe allowing people to pose their own questions will be more helpful.

Helpful to whom? I am not sure. I believe that the number of those reading a post compared with those responding indicates an audience of "answer seekers" afraid to ask questions.

Perhaps in our entertaining dialogue about a "pretended situation" about "pretending to do magic" they can find a "nut" to savor, or the kernel of a creative idea.

Thus, the questions you have posted are more valuable than any advice I can offer.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
JayFredericks
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, WA
131 Posts

Profile of JayFredericks
Can't help you here. The problem is.. I'd never let family play with my nuts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Seeking Clarity (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL