The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What is your latest opener for strolling guys? (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
Hi J
Have you tried Fibre Optics instead of PN? It starts off the same but has more audience-shocking visuals. Anyway my opener for a group of adults is another Sander's trick; extreme burn. "Do you want to know how to make money?" They are not going to say "No". Afterwards you can introduce yourself and ask if the want to see something else.
Richard
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
I learned three ropes and a baby many years ago. I updated to fiber optics later. I still tend to do just a straight PN a lot of the time.

I have a friend who uses extreme burn as his opener. I personally prefer Karl Hein's Rainmaker for two reasons. First, you can reset the bills as you put them away. You don't have to repeat the transformation to reset. Second, you don't have to carry around a bunch of large bills. My friend once lost his extreme burn bills. I'd hate to lose more than $500!

Jay
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Hi Jay,
My Extreme Burn changes magazine paper to $10 bills, so not such a big investment. For strolling I then change the money back to paper "for safety" - then it is reset (changing back still gets a good reaction). I have the "Rainmaker" download but haven't set it up yet. Since you recommend it I'll look into it right after Christmas.

Richard
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
Hi Richard,

Have you had any issues with flashing? I have another friend who had made up the Extreme Burn packet they way you have it, with pieces of paper cut out of a magazine. He said he found it difficult to keep from flashing because the edges of the paper did not "match up" with the edges of the bills. So, he switched (no pun intended) to changing $1s to $100s.

When Karl Hein lectured here he said that with his Heiny 500 or Extreme Burn, he thinks switching the bills back, and thereby resetting the trick, is actually really important. He said he thinks the first switch is almost too quick for the audience to grasp. He said he thinks the switch back is what really sells the effect.

If you do make up Rainmaker, you might want to check out the patter/script I use. It is in a post in this thread.

Thanks,
Jay
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I have done Fiber Optics and I really love some of the visuals. I found it to be less interactive, however.

Daryl's Rope Routine is also quite good.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Hi Jay,
I cut the paper from the picture pages of a glossy magazine so many colours are present and the very edge is unremarkable. If you reset after you have shown shown the individual bills it is easy and you can do it right in front of the spectators. If you fold the bills and put them away you have to reset in private.
Thanks for your patter offer.

Richard
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Hi Frank,
I used to love PN but it is now too short a routine for me. Besides the added great visuals, Fibre Optics has an extra interactive part where a spectator holds up their fingers "like magic scissors" and cuts the long rope into two. Both are perfect in that they can be performed under any conditions, including close up and surrounded.
I have Daryl's "Expert Rope Magic" Volume 6 VHS tape. I remember it had some good stuff on it. I should look through it again.
Thanks for the idea.
Richard
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
I performed Daryl's Rope Routine many years ago. I still use the handling for PN from that routine. I think I gravitated toward Richard Sanders' routines because I found it easier to use the routines in strolling situations since you just put the ropes back in your pockets and you are ready to do the routine again.

I also feel motivated now to go back and look through the Daryl videos again. Smile

Jay
A Birthday Magician
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of A Birthday Magician
I open with paper to money, then move into signed card in mouth exchange..or the kissing trick...this sets the bar high and the reactions are awesome
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
I was looking through Eugene Burger's book The Performance of Close-Up Magic, and I was drawn to Richard Kaufman's interview of Eugene about the Haunted Deck. Eugene said "a lot of times I use this [the Haunted Deck] as my opener when I do walkaround." He says he likes it as an opener because it is magical and shows you "mean business" as a magician. I've never used the Haunted Deck as an opener, but I'm wondering if anyone else on here has. Any thoughts?

Jay
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2014, TheMightyRicardo wrote:
Hi Frank,
I used to love PN but it is now too short a routine for me. Besides the added great visuals, Fibre Optics has an extra interactive part where a spectator holds up their fingers "like magic scissors" and cuts the long rope into two. Both are perfect in that they can be performed under any conditions, including close up and surrounded.
I have Daryl's "Expert Rope Magic" Volume 6 VHS tape. I remember it had some good stuff on it. I should look through it again.
Thanks for the idea.
Richard

One thing that I forgot to mention earlier is that the PN can be done quite quickly. However, the "hypnotizing the audience" presentation of James Lewis (at least, I think he came up with it; I learned it from a VHS tape of his) makes the routine play for a decent amount of time -- usually somewhere between 2:00 and 2:30. That is one reason why I fairly often do just a straight PN in strolling situations. Of course, if I have the time for a longer routine, Fiber Optics does have a lot of cool visuals. Smile

I think I remember Richard Sanders said that the reason he put together the original Three Ropes and a Baby routine was because if he was going to devote the pocket space for the PN ropes in strolling situations that he wanted to be able to do a longer routine with them. More bang for the (pocket space) buck, so to speak.

Jay
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

On Dec 28th 2014, Jay wrote: "..........I think I remember Richard Sanders said that the reason he put together the original Three Ropes and a Baby routine was because if he was going to devote the pocket space for the PN ropes in strolling situations that he wanted to be able to do a longer routine with them. More bang for the (pocket space) buck, so to speak."

My most reliable strolling routines are Richard Sander's ones. The comment on pocket space is especially true for me as I work in the Tropics and never wear a Jacket. I have changed from thin white ropes to thick colourful ropes (photo) as they can be seen near or far (I can also bring in a snake animation for parlour shows). They take up a lot of pocket space, but can be tucked into the belt if necessary. Thanks for the spur to look for new routines that use the props I already carry.

Richard

Click here to view attached image.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
321 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
Richard Osterlind's Inside the fold is my new opener!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
A while back when the 1 to 100 was popular, I broke-into small groups using the hosts name as leverage.

"Bob" wanted me to give someone-deserving a dollar.... Have you seen this puzzle with the dollar, where it vanishes "?

/ using the hosts name and flashing cash breaks the ice.
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
I just wanted to ask again if anyone on here has used the Haunted Deck as an opener in strolling situations besides
Eugene Burger. I'm curious to know if anyone has done so, what the response was. I'm also curious about what the rest of you think of the idea.

Jay
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think without Eugenes personality to sell it that it would be a tough opening.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think without Eugenes personality to sell it that it would be a tough opening.

Hi Danny,

That's an interesting point. I'm curious about your reasoning that leads you to that conclusion. (By the way, I'm not being confrontational here. I am genuinely interested in the thinking behind your statement.) Do you think that because it is a card trick? Is it because the "magic" doesn't happen quickly enough? Maybe it's not "flashy"?

You may be quite right, of course. Eugene's personality is . . . unique (and I mean that in a good way!). I am quite sure that a lot of what he does would be difficult for others to sell because they do not have his personality.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question! And, if you would be willing to write a bit more about what led you to your conclusion, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jay
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
There are two parts to magic. Doing the trick and selling the trick. (The premise to the audience that is.)

Mechanically not so tough thing. But to open and such when they have no idea of who you are is tough. Eugene sort of is that even later. So it is great for him to define himself as such. Others perhaps not. I say perhaps I hope you notice.

You have to ask what the goal of the opening is in the first place. Isn't that really what the ultimate question should be? Then find effects that suit that purpose for you.

Card openers do not bother me in the least.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
There are two parts to magic. Doing the trick and selling the trick. (The premise to the audience that is.)

Mechanically not so tough thing. But to open and such when they have no idea of who you are is tough. Eugene sort of is that even later. So it is great for him to define himself as such. Others perhaps not. I say perhaps I hope you notice.

You have to ask what the goal of the opening is in the first place. Isn't that really what the ultimate question should be? Then find effects that suit that purpose for you.

Card openers do not bother me in the least.

Hi Mr. Doyle,

I understand what you are saying about finding effects that suit the purpose for me. The reason why I asked the initial question was because I often like to hear about others' experiences and opinions.

I really wasn't asking about the Haunted Pack as an opener for me. I already have opening effects that I like to do and that seem to work well, at least for me.

I asked the question about the Haunted Pack because I was curious if anyone else had tried using it as an opener and what their experience was. I was also curious about what other people thought about the idea in general.

Peace,
Jay
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Asking others may take you down a road you had not considered. That is great.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What is your latest opener for strolling guys? (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL