The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » The Illusionist hit Broadway before USA tour (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The Illusionists 2.0 are currently playing Broadway prior to starting their USA tour. This show (versions of it) has toured Australia, Turkey, Beruit, Abu Dhabi.

I watched many of the rehearsals here in Akron, Ohio, over two weeks. The show was constantly being tweaked and I imagine that it still continues to do so.

Don't be misled by the NY press reviews. I think the press night was a joke. 90% of the acts working today would die under such circumstances. It was only the press, that was present. Talk about a jaded audience and lack of reaction. If you ever did a "phone show" with only 6 people in the audience, you can possibly relate. The one reviewer was more upset that they tore down five theaters to make this hotel and theater than reviewing the show.

I don't buy into the comments that it is the same old thing. Aren't most Broadway shows the same old thing? Often they are 50 year old scripts (of great productions) with simply a new face, star or name inserted t make it fresh. If it is good, it does not have to be new. The magic in this show is very good.

I wholeheartedly agree with polling John Q. Public on what they thought. I know in Akron, they sold out the only two shows they had, with standing ovations at each. This was a real audience not some reviewer who find it easier to chop an act up than to see the real value in it. The theater people here are more than happy to rebook such an attraction in the future.

The shows I saw hit a wide range of demographics. Literaly from age 5 to 85. There were dangerous elements of the show, the warm fuzzy moments, light hearted comedy, escapes, grand illusion, hi tech magic, and the punk rock magic. There was something for everyone truly. The video screen use is what the younger crowd expects. Personally, I don't care for it as much as seeing a live performance. Some of the performers have also expressed a concern that a 3-D medium becomes 2-D with the screen use. But they are not overused. They allow larger venues to be played and still have the audience see the acts. Lighting design is top rated as are the technical aspects of the show. The cues for the show are so enormous that I commend the backstage manager keeping it all together and moving. It is really the work for two guys.

Now onto the magicians, Adam Trent does the initial warmup of the house with a version of the "Instant Magician". He is personable and establishes a rapport with the audience and involves them immediately into the show. His video interaction piece is a great use of technology with magic. And the one night I saw when the video failed, he covered as only a seasoned professional can do.

A rapid fire production number is next that really opens the show from people appearing to costume changes to straight jacket escapes to an appearance of a large train, there is more magic in though the first five minutes than in a most entire shows.

Dan Sperry, billed as the Anti-Conjurer, registers well with the younger crowd because his American Got Talent appearances. His life saver effect plays well as does his other spots with Russian Roulette and his dove act. Opening the second half with the Russian Roulette, is a good fit to bring the crowd back into the show on a personal level though I do wish he would slow his talk down a little. Too many lines are lost to the audience.

Kevin James, as the inventor, does his classic Chaplin Doll with a new twist and the operation routine. His classic floating rose routine, using a younger girl, plays very well and give a good warm fuzzy moment to the show. The operation number has been nicely retooled with a steam punk look but at times it may be a little too busy with all the other production items added in the background. Just a little too much going on to get the full impact of this great illusion. The inventor truly fits Kevin well as everything he does is his own idea or twist.

Aaron Crowe, as the Warrior, is a lesson in non verbal communication. He totally commands the stage with his presence. His combination of martial arts stunts with magic ideas is lesson in showmanship. He handles with audience volunteers with respect and control.

Andrew Basso, the Escapologist, does a very good visible Water Torture Cell. Jeff Hobson does a good job setting the stage for the illusion before an audience member helps to get Andrew locked into the cell. The use of the video screen lets everyone see everything while still being able to see the performance live.

Yu Ho Jin, the Manipulator, does his famous card production act which registers very well with the lay audience. The music, as I understand, was custom written for him by a very, very famous musician in Korea. A very good solid turn.

Jeff Hobson, the Trickster, is the light spot to the show. His classic card in the mouth routine and egg bag still play very well to any group. Ten of thousands of shows have honed this into a finely crafted routine. For me, it was fun to watch his performance like a jazz performer putting in this line or remark depending on the audience he is working for. Harry Blackstone Jr. did a similar thing for me with his committee routine. His "gay" persona is alluded to but not openly stated. It is full of innuendos that make fun of things. The audience has fun with his persona and enjoys the magic.

The next to closing spot is Kevin James with his classic snow routine. As he finishes the snow routine, the entire cast is produced on an elevated platform on stage. At this point in both performances I saw, it prompted a spontaneous standing ovation from the audience.

The closing spot of the show is Yu Ho Jin doing a blank deck to printed deck back to blank that spelling out "The Illusionists" on a table top. This was all done with good closeup camera work. Though it seemed a little anti-climatic to the finish of the show which had already received a standing ovation.

The music is all original with five live performers augmenting the sounds. Prior to the appearance in Akron, Kevin James and Jeff Hobson, made the rounds of the local TV stations to promote the show. Promotion has been all over the internet. Pop up ads are constantly telling people about the show.

Is it a Broadway reviewer show, obviously not in their eyes. But the public and promoter love it. Shows were added to the performances in New York even before the first performance in Akron due to heavy ticket sales. Some days in New York must look like vaudeville, performing three shows a day. Offers have been made to them to operate in a permanent theater in New York.

This show is version 2.0. It has been honed and refined from different versions of the show from performances all over the world. It is slated to tour until the end of June and may then be going into the London Palladium for two months. When you have show with this caliber of technical people, consultants, and performers, that this show has, you are going to have a top flight production. The performers have all been making a living doing magic for many, many years. Two them for over thirty years.

I have seen a lot of magic but this is one of the best total magic shows I have seen in a long time. It is a fresh approach to magic that hopefully will help to reignite the public's interest in magic. I know it did my area.

I urge people to make the investment to see a great magic show that has finally hit the USA. Here is the link to the website with the links to tour information included within..http://www.theillusionistslive.com/.

Richard

PS. It was good to see Mark Kalin and Don Wayne who were both in town working on getting this show up and running. Mark had just flown in from Turkey where he was performing in another version of this show.
Richard Hughes
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » The Illusionist hit Broadway before USA tour (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL