The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Draven Reviews: MindSight by Andreu (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
William Draven
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
465 Posts

Profile of William Draven
Title: Mind Sight
Author: Andreu
Publicist: Andreu Fajardo Bermudez
Retail Price: $75.00 USD
Reading Difficulty: Easy
Length of Book: 74 Pages
Notes: All TV performance rights for all material inside the book is reserved by and for the author.

Features:
• Paper Back
• Gimmick Cards

Mindsight is a book by mentalist Andreu Bermudez and teaches some powerful mind reading style mentalism routines that can be done on stage and play to a big audience using only minimal of props. The effects in this short book appear to the spectator to be probably one of the closest things to real mind reading they’ll ever experience.

The first routine in the book that is explored is a game of 20 questions similar to what Derren Brown performs. In fact Brown, along with Devin Knight, and Leo Boudreau are credited as being an inspiration for this particular routine being created. This routine Andreu calls “Direct Mindreading Masterpiece” starts with a spectator mentally choosing one of forty different objects to hold in their hand. After a short amount of time the mentalist knows the position of the object, and what it is.

The method used for Andreu’s DMM is a cleaver combination of methods and the principle will repeat itself throughout the book. I can tell you this: You won’t need a stooge, and there is no duel reality. Nothing is written down or spoken by the participant. Andreu gives you not only the method but also the script to follow as well. The bonus gimmick cards that come with the book look nice, and also help in the routine.

Without giving away the workings of this routine, and others like it explained in the book, I can say that Andreu provides you with multiple options for handlings. Some of the handlings are a lot harder and less guaranteed with the results, while others guarantee 100% accuracy but sacrifice a little in how you handle things. With all the options presented, one of the options will work for you.

Real ESP. With this routine, still using the same principles as you learn in DMM you present to the audience five ESP symbols. The spectator mentally chooses one of them, and without saying anything you’re able to divine which one they are thinking of. There is no force and it’s not a progressive anagram.

Senti Mental: With the Senti Mental routine the mind reader mentions several emotions, and explains how we’re able to connect to some of them more powerfully than others. The participant thinks of an emotion he actually felt within a couple days or so, and the performer is able to correctly identify what the participant is thinking.

Secreto Arcano: Without having to verbally answer any questions the performer is able to correctly divine a spectators thought of Zodiac sign with impossible accuracy.

All of the routines in the book, using the same principles, provide for some powerful mind reading experiences. This entire book is a good exercise in performing stage quality mentalism with minimal props. There is a lot of scripting involved, and a strong emphasis placed on skill as a performer to deliver this material in a way that is fun and entertaining without being dry and boring, but if done right this should be some really powerful bits of mind reading you may ever do.

There’s a lot to be learned from Andreu’s system. It can be applied to many different types of presentations, and if you study, practice, and rehearse all the material in this book then you’ve got a solid thirty minute mentalism act without having to really do anything else. The drawback comes at the price tag. You’re paying $75 bucks for a paperback book that has a couple mentalism routines in it all using the same principle. If you end up not liking the principle outlined in the book, you’re out a fair amount of change. If you’re into mentalism, this very well maybe something you’re going to want to read up on. If you’re just looking for the next quick thing to learn to do for friends, then you may want to pass on this.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Readability and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 5
The price is steep for a book this size and with only a couple routines in it. Granted it’s a virtual study in its own right on the principles being used, but at $75 dollars this is only going to appeal to serious performers of mentalism.

Teaching Quality: 6
There are lots of charts and tables that make learning the system easier. There are also multiple handlings so you can find what works for you with relative ease.

Readability: 7
I found the book to be a pretty quick read.

Over All Quality: 6
I wouldn’t recommend this to the person with a passing interest, just because the price is too steep, but if you are a student of mentalism, or a performer of such things then this maybe something you’ll want to pick up. It’s a good study in the use of the principles in play while performing these routines.
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Thanks for your review William.

As you mention, all the MindSight routines use binary principle - as advertised.

I encourage readers to not let this fact scare them from getting the book, as the handlings are truly endless and only limited to your imagination.

Also, please remember price is $57 in several of the websites, this is cheap if you consider the cost of professional printed cards included and the 4 routines - one of them being D.M.M. which is one of my top quality effects. You can easily perform it for 1 to 10,000 spectators with the same entertainment value. Smile

Anyway, I hope you've gotten something useful out of the book!

Best regards,


Andreu.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1118 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I thought the review was accurate, I've been purchasing a lot of books lately and I didn't feel I got value for this one. There are some interesting principles but I find it too much work for an object divination - multiple lines of script, remembering what answers mean, determining the correct answers etc - I'd rather do mental yarn billetlessly and get to the point quicker.
The binary system is good for some things but for this it feels drawn out. I do appreciate the work Into selecting the objects and designing the cards.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
A creator can set whatever price they want to but it's the marketplace that ultimately decides whether it's cheap or expensive not the creator.
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2014, Sean Giles wrote:
A creator can set whatever price they want to but it's the marketplace that ultimately decides whether it's cheap or expensive not the creator.


Sean,

I agree with this 100%. Smile

DMM took me approx. 10 months / 1 year to create, YES it's a complex system, but with very, very innocent 4 questions (or sometimes less) you figure out from objects, to zodiac signs, feelings and a lot more.

B****ry methods have been (in my concept) very underrated, even though some might not find them useful, it's something very, very important and it's one of the purest methods in mindreading.

For me, method IS important: you don't really want people thinking you're just doing a play of words or something basic to figure out.

But that's just my point of view and I Respect others as well.

Kind regards,


Andreu.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10498 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2014, Sean Giles wrote:
A creator can set whatever price they want to but it's the marketplace that ultimately decides whether it's cheap or expensive not the creator.


Thanks for the very very thorough review Mr Draven!

Very well done.

With all respect the pricing seems to once again reflect the authors slightly exaggerated view of himself considering his newness to the market. You need to walk before you run and under promise /over deliver. Andreau may be the next whatever and quite talented but a book like this should be $35 not much more IMO.

Lessons to be learned. Best to be humble to start and you'll sell more books that way too.

For me I will probably pass.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11634 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2014, Sean Giles wrote:
A creator can set whatever price they want to but it's the marketplace that ultimately decides whether it's cheap or expensive not the creator.


Thanks for the very very thorough review Mr Draven!

Very well done.

With all respect the pricing seems to once again reflect the authors slightly exaggerated view of himself considering his newness to the market. You need to walk before you run and under promise /over deliver. Andreau may be the next whatever and quite talented but a book like this should be $35 not much more IMO.

Lessons to be learned. Best to be humble to start and you'll sell more books that way too.

For me I will probably pass.


I agree. He'll learn. I trust.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
I think William has given a fairly thorough review of the book, but I disagree with some of his conclusions.

The book, while well made, is objectively expensive. But if you are a working pro who gets 10 - 30 minutes of working material out of this book, then maybe it really isn't. As has been noted
this is not some read it/perform it 10 minutes later. It is a system that does require memorization and some period of dedicated study. So don't be surprised when you have
to do that. If you are looking for quick and easy this is not the book for you. But if you are looking for something effective, that can't be backtracked and once learned, will give you
many opportunities to amaze your audience, well then that's a horse of a different color. The bottom line is that this effect requires dedication to craft. And as with all art forms, that effort
will pay off with a superior result.

I have never met Andreu and only came to hear of him when learning about this book, but I can tell you that his customer service is outstanding. What does that mean in relation to this book. Well, my 20 questions card got ruined (don't ask). I contacted Andreu and asked if he could provide another and told him I would be happy to pay for it. He said he would see what he could do. Long story short, he sent me another card (which he had to get made specially) and charged me nothing. And mind you I never once complained about the cost of the book. He just sent it. And he as been completely accessible
to talk about any of his effects. And yes, he is into the binary thing. So caveat emptor.

I also have to mention that I have been able to build on his methodology and blend it with other "tools" to create some effects with whichI am quite happy.

I won't go into a rehash of the specific effects, as William has done an excellent job of that, but let me focus on the evaluations/conclusions he has come to.

To conjoin product quality with price is a mistake. If the quality of something is crap, it doesn't matter what the cost is, its still crap. However, the actual quality of this effect is excellent, an 8.5 at least. The book and props are very well made. Perhaps William was more accurately referring to Value, but even in that case this product, IMHO of course, is still much higher than a six, depending on the buyer.

The Teaching Quality is excellent, as is Readability. 8.5's again. Everything is made crystal clear. The fact that it does require work on your part should in no way contribute to a negative values in these metrics.

And lastly - Overall Quality - I'm gonna go with 8.5 yet again. This is a solid piece of work and getting four or five routines based on this system seems quite fair to me.

Just remember, all of these judgements are subjective, as are everyone's.

Do I recommend Mindsight? Yes, I do, as long as the buyer understands the caveats that have been pointed out.

Preston
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10498 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2014, jaizon wrote:
I think William has given a fairly thorough review of the book, but I disagree with some of his conclusions.

The book, while well made, is objectively expensive. But if you are a working pro who gets 10 - 30 minutes of working material out of this book, then maybe it really isn't. As has been noted
this is not some read it/perform it 10 minutes later. It is a system that does require memorization and some period of dedicated study. So don't be surprised when you have
to do that. If you are looking for quick and easy this is not the book for you. But if you are looking for something effective, that can't be backtracked and once learned, will give you
many opportunities to amaze your audience, well then that's a horse of a different color. The bottom line is that this effect requires dedication to craft. And as with all art forms, that effort
will pay off with a superior result.

I have never met Andreu and only came to hear of him when learning about this book, but I can tell you that his customer service is outstanding. What does that mean in relation to this book. Well, my 20 questions card got ruined (don't ask). I contacted Andreu and asked if he could provide another and told him I would be happy to pay for it. He said he would see what he could do. Long story short, he sent me another card (which he had to get made specially) and charged me nothing. And mind you I never once complained about the cost of the book. He just sent it. And he as been completely accessible
to talk about any of his effects. And yes, he is into the binary thing. So caveat emptor.

I also have to mention that I have been able to build on his methodology and blend it with other "tools" to create some effects with whichI am quite happy.

I won't go into a rehash of the specific effects, as William has done an excellent job of that, but let me focus on the evaluations/conclusions he has come to.

To conjoin product quality with price is a mistake. If the quality of something is crap, it doesn't matter what the cost is, its still crap. However, the actual quality of this effect is excellent, an 8.5 at least. The book and props are very well made. Perhaps William was more accurately referring to Value, but even in that case this product, IMHO of course, is still much higher than a six, depending on the buyer.

The Teaching Quality is excellent, as is Readability. 8.5's again. Everything is made crystal clear. The fact that it does require work on your part should in no way contribute to a negative values in these metrics.

And lastly - Overall Quality - I'm gonna go with 8.5 yet again. This is a solid piece of work and getting four or five routines based on this system seems quite fair to me.

Just remember, all of these judgements are subjective, as are everyone's.

Do I recommend Mindsight? Yes, I do, as long as the buyer understands the caveats that have been pointed out.

Preston


What I'm conjoining more is that Andreau for me is not a Bruce Bernstein or Bob Cassidy or Michael Murray or Peter Turner... not yet. I am unfamiliar with his products and intrigued without a doubt. But I am unlikely to take a leap at the current price point. Let me taste the appetizer first at a fair price - then in the future raise the prices (the walk before you run example I made). Sell me the razor at a reasonable price and I will happily buy the blades later for more if the quality is great.

As it stands less consumers will likely buy the book - meaning less whill probably buy the next one.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Saysold,

I'd be glad to send you a review copy - at no cost of course - of one of my best effects: Legion (my name divination).

Hopefully you will be able to take a look at my work and value its quality. Smile

I don't have any MindSight copies available for review at this point though, so it would be more to get you acquainted with the sort of material I write, call it an appetizer if you will.

And yes, I'm not like any of the authors you mention, my approach to mentalism is different, which I think is fine.

Let me know if this offer appeals to you, I think it's pretty fair.

Best regards,

Andreu.
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2014, jaizon wrote:
I think William has given a fairly thorough review of the book, but I disagree with some of his conclusions.

The book, while well made, is objectively expensive. But if you are a working pro who gets 10 - 30 minutes of working material out of this book, then maybe it really isn't. As has been noted
this is not some read it/perform it 10 minutes later. It is a system that does require memorization and some period of dedicated study. So don't be surprised when you have
to do that. If you are looking for quick and easy this is not the book for you. But if you are looking for something effective, that can't be backtracked and once learned, will give you
many opportunities to amaze your audience, well then that's a horse of a different color. The bottom line is that this effect requires dedication to craft. And as with all art forms, that effort
will pay off with a superior result.

I have never met Andreu and only came to hear of him when learning about this book, but I can tell you that his customer service is outstanding. What does that mean in relation to this book. Well, my 20 questions card got ruined (don't ask). I contacted Andreu and asked if he could provide another and told him I would be happy to pay for it. He said he would see what he could do. Long story short, he sent me another card (which he had to get made specially) and charged me nothing. And mind you I never once complained about the cost of the book. He just sent it. And he as been completely accessible
to talk about any of his effects. And yes, he is into the binary thing. So caveat emptor.

I also have to mention that I have been able to build on his methodology and blend it with other "tools" to create some effects with whichI am quite happy.

I won't go into a rehash of the specific effects, as William has done an excellent job of that, but let me focus on the evaluations/conclusions he has come to.

To conjoin product quality with price is a mistake. If the quality of something is crap, it doesn't matter what the cost is, its still crap. However, the actual quality of this effect is excellent, an 8.5 at least. The book and props are very well made. Perhaps William was more accurately referring to Value, but even in that case this product, IMHO of course, is still much higher than a six, depending on the buyer.

The Teaching Quality is excellent, as is Readability. 8.5's again. Everything is made crystal clear. The fact that it does require work on your part should in no way contribute to a negative values in these metrics.

And lastly - Overall Quality - I'm gonna go with 8.5 yet again. This is a solid piece of work and getting four or five routines based on this system seems quite fair to me.

Just remember, all of these judgements are subjective, as are everyone's.

Do I recommend Mindsight? Yes, I do, as long as the buyer understands the caveats that have been pointed out.

Preston


Preston,

Thanks a lot for your review!

It's a pleasure to know you're enjoying MindSight. Smile

As the author, all I have to say for buyers is: please experiment with the ideas more, don't think this is only limited to 4 or 5 effects - if you're thinking of this, then you're missing the bigger picture. Try to come up with more stuff by using the provided systems and you will get far. Need help? Ask. I'll be glad to help. Otherwise, if you're not willing to think of more applications, you won't see the potential.

I'm already using an amazing variation of this system in an amazing routine for my upcoming book: it's simply KILLER and there's nothing to memorize. But this hasn't been possible without working, trying, thinking and discussing further development of these ideas.

A video performance of that routine might come soon, it's an amazing approach to "think of a card".

But let's keep discussing MindSight, shall we?

Cheers!


Andreu.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Didn't you say your book contains your best work to date? Yet you've come up with a new variation since and already writing it up for release?
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2014, Sean Giles wrote:
Didn't you say your book contains your best work to date? Yet you've come up with a new variation since and already writing it up for release?


Yes, MindSight has some of the best material I wrote until 2014 (have you even read it?!?), but there is always room for improvement if you study the principles and my new release would be about IMPROMPTU material, there is a big difference between the two of them and thus the methodology, routines & approaches will also be very different. Smile

Anyhow, starting to feel attacked for no good reason at this thread.

Please folks, if you have read MindSight this thread is the place to review it.

So let's keep it that way, I won't mention the new developments anymore. If you havent read MindSight, and have any other subject or question to talk about, feel free to pm me.

Best,

Andreu.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
No I haven't read it. I have my own binary effects so I was interested initially until I saw the price and comments here. I wouldn't spend that amount of money on something with the type of reviews you are getting.

I'm not attacking you but I am weary of people self publishing every idea they have. And I'm not trying to say you do that either, just that it seemed that way on the face of it. But as you say, that's not what this thread is about and how you do things is not my business. Good luck with your upcoming book.
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
598 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2014, Sean Giles wrote:
No I haven't read it. I have my own binary effects so I was interested initially until I saw the price and comments here. I wouldn't spend that amount of money on something with the type of reviews you are getting.

I'm not attacking you but I am weary of people self publishing every idea they have. And I'm not trying to say you do that either, just that it seemed that way on the face of it. But as you say, that's not what this thread is about and how you do things is not my business. Good luck with your upcoming book.


Sean: It's not exactly "self" publishing.

Murphy's have given me their support for a reason, they saw good material in the book and they covered printing costs for me.

If you don't want to invest that's perfectly fine and I respect it.

As a result of their suportiveness, MindSight is currently available in around 10 countries, a big honor for me.

Thank you for wishing me luck with my future releases,


Andreu.
BParry
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of BParry
I have read the book and its got some very great ideas inside.

I have read most of Andreu's books and have even worked with him on a few projects.
he is a very creative guy and always finds great ways to use various methods in new ways or better ways.

The book has enough info to preform the routine it comes with as well for those of us that prefer our own shows it offers the ability to
use this method to do many variations of your own concept.

As to price I think its justified. you have people comparing this to Derren, Peter and the likes work which are fantastic yet complaining that the price it too much to preform what the big guys do. Almost sounds like those complaining are just looking for a simple out of the box trick and not a performance. If that is your case than this is not for you. It is not too hard but more for people interested in a real routine that is scripted.

Overall I think it has value and enjoyed it.

Thanks Andreu, look forward to see where you take things next.

Ben
BParry
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of BParry
Sorry for the double post but it wont let me change my previous. From a rating perspective of the overall routine and concept for those that like more in-depth and though out routines Id say its a 9/10. I use these principles already with other routines using another system but with Andreu routines it gives me a lot more ideas that what I previously had making it a great addition.

* just for clarity I use this with electronic systems which allow me to do even more impossibilities. For those that Know about these systems think about that Smile

Cheers,

Ben
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
William, thank you for a very thorough review.

Tony
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1118 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I absolutely think the system has value and great thought has went into the design, particularly the selection of objects for DMM.

I just need to come up with a better system for calculating the responses, one that fits me a little more. Implying that people don't want to do work is a silly tactic and has very little to do with the price of a routine. We are all entitled to our opinions but when reviewing a product, the focus should stay on the product - not the customers buying it.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1118 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I should also point out I've bought more than 1 of Andreus products so that is the biggest co-sign I can give someone - being a repeat customer. However I do like ideas to be fleshed out (in general, not talking specifically about this) so threads like this help people make informed choices.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Draven Reviews: MindSight by Andreu (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL