The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What are chicken nuggets really made of? (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I don't get it. What else would it be made of?
It's a chicken nugget.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Exactly - it's chicken - duh!

Yet for some reason ... some people believe that McDonald's has some secret formula that magically turns silly putty into something that resembles chicken. And as crazy as that statement sounds, it is true - they really do believe that.

-JoeJoe
FatherWilliam57
View Profile
New user
Beaver, PA
73 Posts

Profile of FatherWilliam57
There are certainly more important things to worry about. Like the mysterious contents of the filling in Twinkie...
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
"If this be magic, let it be an art..." - Leontes
(Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3)
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2014, JoeJoe wrote:
some people believe that McDonald's has some secret formula that magically turns silly putty into something that resembles chicken.
-JoeJoe

Nah...The secret silly putty formula turns into the boneless ribs. Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Here's the basis for that belief:

Quote:
As of October 9, 2010, dimethylpolysiloxane and Tert-Butylhydroquinone (TBHQ) are listed as ingredients in the McNuggets cooking process.[14] According to Lisa McComb, a media relations representative for McDonald's, dimethylpolysiloxane is used as a matter of safety to keep the frying oil from foaming. The chemical is a form of silicone also used in cosmetics and Silly Putty. A review of animal studies by the World Health Organization found no adverse health effects associated with dimethylpolysiloxane. TBHQ is a common preservative for vegetable oils, cereals, nuts, cookies, chips, and animal fats,[15] found in other foods like Girl Scout Cookies[16] and Quaker Chewy Granola Bars.[17] The U.S. Food and Drug Administration sets an upper limit of 0.02% (0.0002) of the oil or fat content in foods,[18] which like other foods, applies to the oil used in McNuggets. Effective use of TBHQ is 1 gram per 5000 grams of cooking oil (1 gram per 11 pounds of cooking oil).

But don't assume the only ingredient is chicken:

Quote:
The 2004 documentary Super Size Me states that "[o]riginally created from old chickens that can no longer lay eggs, McNuggets are now made from chickens with unusually large breasts. They're stripped from the bone, and ground-up into a sort of 'chicken mash', which is then combined with all sorts of stabilizers and preservatives, pressed into familiar shapes, breaded, deep-fried, freeze-dried, and then shipped to a McDonald's near you." Super Size Me also alleged inclusion of chemicals such as tertiary butylhydroquinone (a phenolic antioxidant used as a chemical preservative), polydimethylsiloxane (an anti-foaming agent), and other ingredients not used by a typical home cook.[12] This was subsequently restated by CNN.[13] Marion Nestle, a New York University professor and author of What to Eat, says the tertiary butylhydroquinone and dimethylpolysiloxane in McNuggets probably pose no health risks. As a general rule, though, she advocates not eating any food with an ingredient that is difficult for one to pronounce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_McNuggets
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

The basis for the belief is stupidity ... period.

Silly Putty is non-toxic and if will not kill or maim you if you eat it. Otherwise they wouldn't let children play with it. But the real reason I use the word "stupidity" is because of their logic:

because TBHQ is in silly putty TBHQ is unsafe to eat ...

... would be equal to saying ...

because water is in silly putty water is unsafe to eat

Obviously their "logic" does not meet the definition of logic as we know it to be. At least ... not for "me", I'm not actually sure about "we". Smile

Quote:
As a general rule, though, she advocates not eating any food with an ingredient that is difficult for one to pronounce.

Does that include Dihydrogen monoxide??

I apply another standard to myself: if I do not know what an ingredient is, I find out what it is. That makes more sense to me than using my vocabulary skills to dictate my diet. The vocabulary standard you cite in the wikipedia encourages and promotes more stupidity.

-JoeJoe
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

She also said it was harmless, JoeJoe. Her line about pronunciation was clearly a joke.

In case you didn't notice, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all- simply offering a reference to where the "silly putty" connection came from.

Everything here isn't an argument, you know. Smile
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
This forum is strange - everyone thinks everyone is arguing when nobody is arguing. I don't see this on any other forum I participate on and it is weird. I wasn't disagreeing with you, nor did I think you were disagreeing with me. I was simply "talking" (technically, chatting ... or even more accurately typing). In fact ... my comments were devoid of "you" and could be applied to whomever would be doing the reading.

I was simply continuing the chain of conversation we are in the process of creating. Also in fact ... I've had this same conversation offline with people, and it was never perceived as an "argument" by any party involved. I've had this conversation with friends and we are still friends afterwards, even if we never came to agreement on this particular issue.

In other words ... we don't have to agree on anything, so I do not know why everyone is this forum is so focused on making everyone agree with them. It is the reason this forum is basically the same 10 people posting back-and-forth until we reach dozens of pages of completely worthless text that nobody will ever actually read anyway.

-JoeJoe
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
The vocabulary standard you cite in the wikipedia encourages and promotes more stupidity.

See, that is why I separated "you" from the "wikipedia citation" ... my comments were not about you, they were about the wikipedia citation ... I had to re-write that sentence from how I first had it because I didn't want you to perceive it as some type of attack on you (sounds like I failed).

I was talking about the wikipedia reference, not "you" as I'm fairly certain you would eat something you do not know how to pronounce. I don't think you're an idiot Bob. Smile

-JoeJoe
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I don't think you're an idiot either, JoeJoe. But you're right, it is all too easy to misinterpret the tone of Internet communications. Like I said, I agreed with your OP. I was just interested in seeing where the silly putty connection came from so I looked it up and shared what I found.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Ahh ... well I don't know what the results of your look up were, but to ensure we are on the same page the silly putty connection comes from the whole 'pink slime' thing ... it is one of the leading anti-slime arguments presented.

Some people claim chicken McNuggets are made chemically using the same stuff used to make silly putty and I've had hippies try to convince me that McNuggets were not actually "food", and were basically "100% chemicals". You could most likely find websites where people are still trying to tell people there is "no chicken in chicken McNuggets".

After the pink slime lawsuits got filed, people didn't want to connect "pink slime" to "hamburger" (don't want to get sued also) so they recaptioned all the pictures to suggest it was the McDonald's mechanically separated chicken, which is ironic because McDonalds does not use mechanically separated chicken in any of their products.

I've got a "santa clause" theory that suggests that by rewarding children for believing in a lie is what encourages this type of stupidity in our culture. It is reinforced once the "truth" is learned, because children continue to believe the lie so they will continue to be rewarded.

-JoeJoe
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I quoted the results of my look-up above. McNuggets and silly putty do indeed have a common ingredient, but I agree it's ridiculous to say that McNuggets are made from silly putty.

Quote:
According to Lisa McComb, a media relations representative for McDonald's, dimethylpolysiloxane is used as a matter of safety to keep the frying oil from foaming. The chemical is a form of silicone also used in cosmetics and Silly Putty.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I don't think my posts makes the "connection" ... their flawed logic goes something like this:

because a chemical used in silly putty is also in McNuggets, and
because people believe that McNuggets are made from 'pink slime', and
because people believe that 'pink slime' is not 'food', they therefore ...

believe that if you add silly putty to pink slime you get chicken McNuggets.

I know - unbelievable stupidity! lol

-JoeJoe
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I'm not joking - I once had a guy try to tell me that the silly putty is what allows the pink slime to hold it's shape.

-JoeJoe
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
There will always be wack jobs.
Mcdonalds serves billions per day. And are held to the most stringent standards.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2014, magicfish wrote:
Mcdonalds serves billions per day. And are held to the most stringent standards.

I still remember when the signs told how many "millions" they had served. I sometimes wonder what number they are up to now. Smile

I believe McDonalds is actually on the very top of the game. They watch market trends and respond faster than any other restaurant - they were one of the very first to stop using 'pink slime' and set the trend for others to follow (I don't actually approve of that - I am a pink slime fan). They just announced they are going to start using less ingredients in their food so people won't have to wonder what everything is.

And their food is actually quiet healthy, that whole Super Size Me thing was just gutter science (and I don't think science is even a word for it). You can get fat and unhealthy by eating too much health food also. When I do eat there, it is usually the tiny McDouble as a 1/4 pound meal is too much food to fit in an average stomach without stretching it out.

What I'd like to see is all the anger directed towards companies like McDonalds to be directed a company that is the real source of the obesity epidemic ... the Coco-Cola Company.

-JoeJoe
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

Quote:
As of October 9, 2010, dimethylpolysiloxane and Tert-Butylhydroquinone (TBHQ) are listed as ingredients in the McNuggets cooking process.[14] According to Lisa McComb, a media relations representative for McDonald's, dimethylpolysiloxane is used as a matter of safety to keep the frying oil from foaming. The chemical is a form of silicone also used in cosmetics and Silly Putty. A review of animal studies by the World Health Organization found no adverse health effects associated with dimethylpolysiloxane. TBHQ is a common preservative for vegetable oils, cereals, nuts, cookies, chips, and animal fats,[15] found in other foods like Girl Scout Cookies[16] and Quaker Chewy Granola Bars.[17] The U.S. Food and Drug Administration sets an upper limit of 0.02% (0.0002) of the oil or fat content in foods,[18] which like other foods, applies to the oil used in McNuggets. Effective use of TBHQ is 1 gram per 5000 grams of cooking oil (1 gram per 11 pounds of cooking oil).

But don't assume the only ingredient is chicken:

Quote:
The 2004 documentary Super Size Me states that "[o]riginally created from old chickens that can no longer lay eggs, McNuggets are now made from chickens with unusually large breasts. They're stripped from the bone, and ground-up into a sort of 'chicken mash', which is then combined with all sorts of stabilizers and preservatives, pressed into familiar shapes, breaded, deep-fried, freeze-dried, and then shipped to a McDonald's near you." Super Size Me also alleged inclusion of chemicals such as tertiary butylhydroquinone (a phenolic antioxidant used as a chemical preservative), polydimethylsiloxane (an anti-foaming agent), and other ingredients not used by a typical home cook.[12] This was subsequently restated by CNN.[13] Marion Nestle, a New York University professor and author of What to Eat, says the tertiary butylhydroquinone and dimethylpolysiloxane in McNuggets probably pose no health risks. As a general rule, though, she advocates not eating any food with an ingredient that is difficult for one to pronounce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_McNuggets

OMG...Give me a healthy hamburger. lol

Next you are going to tell me there is no ham in hamburgers. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2014, magicfish wrote:

I still remember when the signs told how many "millions" they had served. I sometimes wonder what number they are up to now. Smile

I believe McDonalds is actually on the very top of the game. They watch market trends and respond faster than any other restaurant - they were one of the very first to stop using 'pink slime' and set the trend for others to follow (I don't actually approve of that - I am a pink slime fan). They just announced they are going to start using less ingredients in their food so people won't have to wonder what everything is.

And their food is actually quiet healthy, that whole Super Size Me thing was just gutter science (and I don't think science is even a word for it). You can get fat and unhealthy by eating too much health food also. When I do eat there, it is usually the tiny McDouble as a 1/4 pound meal is too much food to fit in an average stomach without stretching it out.

What I'd like to see is all the anger directed towards companies like McDonalds to be directed a company that is the real source of the obesity epidemic ... the Coco-Cola Company.

-JoeJoe

Me too, or better yet bottled water companies that are robbing the people for trillions while destroying the planet.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2014, magicfish wrote:
Me too, or better yet bottled water companies that are robbing the people for trillions while destroying the planet.

Coco-cola is a bottled water company. I only cited them because they are the "biggest" ... so yes, the whole drink industry is a huge problem for society on multiple levels. There is no need what-so-ever to bottle water in California when there are other locations they could get water that are not empty. It is irresponsible, and a friend of mine lost his house in a wildfire and I'm mad about it!

In fact ... I just recently discovered they have poisoned me with "aspartame" that has left me sick for months with multiple doctor and ER visits. I wouldn't even be posting on "not very magical" other than the fact that I've been too sick to do any actual work.

I think there might be some collusion going on ... I find it odd that after all the tests that have been done on me, not one doctor was able to tell me it was from aspartame. I had to figure it out on my own. It took me eight months because I was focused on the ingredients of what I was eating, I hadn't considered that "flavored water" would be poisonous. >: |

Bob your a lawyer ... if you want to sue these ***s on my behalf, just give me a call. And I am not the kind of person to sue someone - but I think it is the best way to get them to stop poisoning people. After medical expenses, I'd donate every last dollar to healing charities. Smile

-JoeJoe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What are chicken nuggets really made of? (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL