The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 2 Small But Exciting Things:-). (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
I wanted to share 2 quick things that happened to me yesterday because they were so exciting.

Thing one: I was learning one of the "Fundamental" coin routines (listed by CoinVanish.com), the Bobo Switch. This one being so simple, the 2 pictures in Bobo, along with his explanation, seemed to explain it clearly. So I tried it a few times with no patter or context - just as a building-block move. After trying it for about 15 minutes, I asked my wife if she would mind observing to see if the effect worked. She watched and when I opened my hand the 3rd time with the dark coin, her face genuinely registered astonishment! What a feeling!

I'm just a new noob at all of this, and these little things feel like big steps forward for me. So I find them awesome. I am aware, however (mainly through reading Tarbell and Giobbi) that true magic is not the trick itself, but the art, the presentation, the understanding of each effect and why it works. And VERY often, it's in the details - the steps in between that are NOT the specific effect. Hugely important things that may seem trivial; such as pointing at where you want the spectator to look, not saying things like "see, my hand is empty," but simply showing them; holding the hand WITH the coin in a natural way; practicing ACTUALLY tossing or placing a coin to see what it really looks like before attempting the illusion. There are so many other things too. I think I'll put up a separate post in this forum about all these seemingly ancillary things that actually are the most important for other noobs like me. But what all that did for me yesterday was...

Thing 2: I wanted to see if there was a good video of The Bobo switch on YouTube. Mainly I was trying to confirm I was doing it right. But I was also looking for an example of context and potential patter for this move. I found a video of someone (who introduced himself as "Magician somebody") who would demonstrate the Bobo Switch. He did the first toss just as I pictured it should be. Then he did the second. So far so good. Then he did the 3rd one and it was SO DIFFERENT from the first 2 tosses! He clearly placed his right hand onto his left that 3rd time. But my understanding of what made the effect work was that all three tosses need to be as identical as possible. That is what I had done, and my wife (who, by the way, is literally the smartest person I know on this planet), was completely gobsmacked when I opened my left hand to reveal a different coin.

Also I should mention that when I demo'd the effect for my wife, I said no words at all. That seemed to enhance the effect, actually; one of the elements of a "trick" that aren't really part of the trick at all, but that can make the difference between success or failure of the effect. Roberto Giobbi constantly emphasizes this. I particularly love his quote (from "Introduction To Card Magic"): "If you are just doing a trick to get to a surprising result that fools the audience, you are simply showing off how clever you are and that you know (a little) more than your audience. But that’s not magic. Nobody is interested to be made look foolish... However, if you manage to stage a trick with a presentation that appeals to the audience’s mind and heart, if what you do is “beautiful” in an artistic sense, then you will elevate what you are doing to a performance piece that has an artistic value."

My point about "thing two" above isn't: "hey, I'm better than that guy at this trick." It was powerful and visceral evidence that the advice I was given on this forum on day 1 (which would be November 9th, 2014, but who's counting?) was spot on!. Start out with the right teachers. Learn the fundamentals (even if they seem trivial or ancillary). Don't just learn a couple of tricks and think you're a magician. But rather, understand the effects and why they work. Practice a routine until you really have it down (patter included) before performing it. And so much more.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me get a great start! I'm only 33 days old as a student of magic and I'm loving every minute.

Cheers!

Ken
GreenKnight33
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of GreenKnight33
Great job Ken! I like that Giobbi Intro. It has a great deal of solid information. I was surprised when I read it. If you're interested in some free magic theory reading you can also check out "Magic in Mind". Its on Vanishing Inc's website and its free.

Take care,
GreenKnight
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks GreenKnight!

Ken
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
It's so nice to see somebody this new to magic who actually gets it. You're doing it right.

Don't ever lose sight of that!
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
SmaltrabTheAverage
View Profile
New user
Waiting for a positive comment from Pegasus for
60 Posts

Profile of SmaltrabTheAverage
It's something that's sometimes forgotten by a lot of performers. Understand the magic, making it believable is not the same as making it impossible.

I think Dai Vernon said something about making the magic plausible, not impossible.

Glad you're loving the magic so far Ken!
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks! Will keep on keepin' on.

Ken
Otto D
View Profile
New user
London, UK
24 Posts

Profile of Otto D
Thanks GreenKnight for suggesting magic in mind. I downloaded it yesterday and some of the ideas that are brought up in the essays are really interesting and worth thinking about. If you haven't already downloaded it you should.
Otto
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Otto!
Did you write that letter to Father Christmas yet? (Snail mail to the North Pole is a bit erratic! hee hee

O
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
KenRyan great work mate, it takes some people years to come to the same realizations that you have come to, and to think I was starting to lose faith with today's newcomers. You just renewed my faith mate, keep it up. If you need any help with anything I'm only a PM away.

Magically

Aus
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks Aus! It's encouragement like that that just adds fuel to the fire:).

Cheers!

Ken
Otto D
View Profile
New user
London, UK
24 Posts

Profile of Otto D
Yeah I did Dick, Thanks!
Otto
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Ken,

It's great to read about your joy in learning and sharing.

Your sharing with your wife reminded me of our early days.

She swore she was going to write on my tombstone...Did I flash. (she was joking of course)

Enjoy the process, play and presentation.

Harris
still to old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 2 Small But Exciting Things:-). (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL