The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Ice Cold by Morgan Strebler LIMITED EDITION (2 DVD Set) (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
RobertMarsi
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of RobertMarsi
Yes BlackZ. Would love to hear your thoughts about this.
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
I have just finished to watch both the DVD.

First of all they could have done everything on a single DVD instead of two but I think that this is a marketing move to justify this high price that is anyway too high for what it is.

In the first DVD you see some performances, then there is a general introduction of the cold reading and how it works with a general script on Barnum's style (Barnum's statement) and it end with a superficial description about palm reading, I hate when they told you, if you want to know more about that, buy this other product of mine... for what this DVD cost, just go into the details as you have a lot of space to use on both the DVDs.

The second DVD is about Tarot's reading, again a superficial introduction that you can deepen on another product of him, and on how to close the reading.

Do not misunderstand me, the product is not bad at all but of course it is too expensive for what it is and it is just for a person who has never done a cold reading before and, anyway, this person have to study in details on some other source how to do a palm reading or a tarot reading because of here the presentation is very superficial.

If I want to learn readings (palm, tarots, ...) there are a lot of better products which cost much much much less.

At the very end then he tolds that these DVDs could be the right companion for the Ice Cold Reading book... I have thought that this is a subtitute of the book not a companion... anyway that's my mistake.

Hope this could help.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2014, BlackZ wrote:
I have just finished to watch both the DVD.

First of all they could have done everything on a single DVD instead of two but I think that this is a marketing move to justify this high price that is anyway too high for what it is.

In the first DVD you see some performances, then there is a general introduction of the cold reading and how it works with a general script on Barnum's style (Barnum's statement) and it end with a superficial description about palm reading, I hate when they told you, if you want to know more about that, buy this other product of mine... for what this DVD cost, just go into the details as you have a lot of space to use on both the DVDs.

The second DVD is about Tarot's reading, again a superficial introduction that you can deepen on another product of him, and on how to close the reading.

Do not misunderstand me, the product is not bad at all but of course it is too expensive for what it is and it is just for a person who has never done a cold reading before and, anyway, this person have to study in details on some other source how to do a palm reading or a tarot reading because of here the presentation is very superficial.

If I want to learn readings (palm, tarots, ...) there are a lot of better products which cost much much much less.

At the very end then he tolds that these DVDs could be the right companion for the Ice Cold Reading book... I have thought that this is a subtitute of the book not a companion... anyway that's my mistake.

Hope this could help.

Thank you for your review, and for saving me $150.
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of Psy
I watched the DVDs and I can say that you can get 95% of this info from different resources BUT if you want to learn a fast way to do readings in one place, this may be for you. Is it worth $150 maybe not.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Alright guys I really need your help with this. I am a magician that has been practicing for about three and a half years. I love magic and have decided I want to learn mentalism too. I need to know if this is a good starting source for me or if it wont be worth the money without other resources and prior knowledge. If this wont be a good buy for me what should I get. I really appreciate all the help.
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2014, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
Alright guys I really need your help with this. I am a magician that has been practicing for about three and a half years. I love magic and have decided I want to learn mentalism too. I need to know if this is a good starting source for me or if it wont be worth the money without other resources and prior knowledge. If this wont be a good buy for me what should I get. I really appreciate all the help.

This won't be what you're looking for. Look into Richard Osterlinds 6 DVD set on Annemann's Mental Effects. It's a great deal and great for a beginner!
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Thanks a lot. I was stupid and ordered this from penguin magic without doing enough research. I though it would allow me to become an efficient cold reader. I'm just glad they have a return policy and I haven't opened it yet.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Also will this set of DVDs help me learn how to cold read others. If not what are some good resources that will help me with this.
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
I haven't received my set of Ice Cold yet, but this may be a good source for a beginner in doing cold readings... Not sure.
If you want to get started in Mentalism effects, this isn't the set.
The Osterlind set will not teach you how to Cold Read but will teach Mind Reading effects.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Alright do you have any recommendations for cold reading and please let me know what you think of the dvd. Thanks again
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
I'm just getting into readings myself. My girlfriend ordered me this set for Christmas. Looks like it's going to be "ok".... lol
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
I'd suggest getting a good grounding in mentalism before you get into readings. Corinda is the standard book, along with Bob Cassidy's works. Richard Osterland's DVD, as mentioned before are great. If you're interested in readings, learn an oracle, like tarot, palm reading or numerology
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Look into Julian Moores ebooks. Really cheap prices for really great, fast to learn systems. I only have the palm reading one right now but will most likely get the others.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Thanks a lot for all the recommendations guys. I really appreciate it. I'll look into them and give them a try. I already own corinda and that's what got me interested.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Is stunners by larry becker a good place to start also or should I stay away from it.
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
This was one of the worst mentalism products I've ever purchased. Nothing that hasn't appeared in numerous other cold reading publications. The "system" is too basic and not explained well, and jumps all over the place.

Jheff also didn't like it, from his newsletter: "Morgan Strebler's ICE COLD - I have serious issues with this. The marketing is incredibly misleading, it's priced much higher compared to other similar items, the information on the DVD is not organized or presented in a way that delivers on its promise, and, most importantly, I found hardly anything original and/or worthy of the marketing and price that's being asked. Yes, I know Bob Cassidy and Marc Salem both seemed to give high praise to it, but I think the comments may have been taken out of context. Anyway, if you still want it..."

There are much better cold reading products available at much more reasonable prices.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, clairvoyant wrote:
This was one of the worst mentalism products I've ever purchased. Nothing that hasn't appeared in numerous other cold reading publications. The "system" is too basic and not explained well, and jumps all over the place.

Jheff also didn't like it, from his newsletter: "Morgan Strebler's ICE COLD - I have serious issues with this. The marketing is incredibly misleading, it's priced much higher compared to other similar items, the information on the DVD is not organized or presented in a way that delivers on its promise, and, most importantly, I found hardly anything original and/or worthy of the marketing and price that's being asked. Yes, I know Bob Cassidy and Marc Salem both seemed to give high praise to it, but I think the comments may have been taken out of context. Anyway, if you still want it..."

There are much better cold reading products available at much more reasonable prices.

I agree with Jheff's assessment of this product. Nothing new or original here. It is a haphazard "system" that obviously "borrows" from other sources. The routines and performances are uninspiring to say the least. This came off completely as a guy just trying to fake it. A DVD set priced at 150 dollars should be delivering big time. This should have been a 40 dollar set, but even at that price this would have been very disappointing.

I bought this purely on speculation based on some of the endorsements. Big mistake. 1 / 10 for me.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
726 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
While I don't do cold reading besides throwing a random guess out here and there during some mind reading, I found this to be "alright". It was cool to watch it all in action but I agree with a lot of people who say this is unoriginal and overpriced. A $40/$50 price tag would've been more reasonable.

I will be putting this to work and add some more cold reading techniques in the mix...

Now, I got a question.... Is there books out with different techniques on how to handle misses?
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
Quote:
Now, I got a question.... Is there books out with different techniques on how to handle misses?

Yes. The three that I'd recommend for handling misses are Rowland's Full Facts Book of Cold Reading. There are either 11 or 13 misses discussed in the Win-Win Game section, including the one discussed on Ice Cold. The Dance by Brad Henderson covers several others (including the one discussed on Ice Cold). There is some overlap in the two books in the misses discussed, but not a lot. Finally, Mind Reading by Kenton Knepper has some more, too. I'd say between the three books there, you'll probably find nearly 30 different outs that can be used for different types of cold reading statements, and ways to evolve the statement so you never appeared to miss.
Paulpet
View Profile
New user
Granada, SPAIN
2 Posts

Profile of Paulpet
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2015, sbays wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, clairvoyant wrote:

I agree with Jheff's assessment of this product. Nothing new or original here. It is a haphazard "system" that obviously "borrows" from other sources. The routines and performances are uninspiring to say the least. This came off completely as a guy just trying to fake it. A DVD set priced at 150 dollars should be delivering big time. This should have been a 40 dollar set, but even at that price this would have been very disappointing.

I bought this purely on speculation based on some of the endorsements. Big mistake. 1 / 10 for me.

I have to say I'm certainly not thrilled with it either. Too much effort into the DVD production and not enough NEW content, in fact most of the ideas I've been using for years. Certainly does not live up to the pre-launch hype.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Ice Cold by Morgan Strebler LIMITED EDITION (2 DVD Set) (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL