We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Christmas Shopping Idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
722 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
This time of the year we starting making lists for ourselves and family as to ideas for gifts. And of course, as magicians, we always put magic tricks and books on that list. This year, go after old magic magazines. Check out old LINKING RINGS and MUMS, MAGIC & GENII'S. I got 20 LINKING RINGS last week and wow, new tricks, history, ideas that sparked new ideas for my show and reviews of tricks, etc. Old magazines are treasure troves.
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays.

Charlie
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
This is a great suggestion, it's incredible what we overlook by skipping the old magazines and even books on our own shelves that we've neglected to look at in a while.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Smile
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1657 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
I have a stack of 100 old MUMs I've been meaning to get to.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
722 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
And by the way, I got mine on Ebay. A great place to pick up old magazines. I am having a ball going through mine, I have my notebook, a pen, and a yellow highlighter.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
In the '40s, the dealers would sell their outdated "counter stock" magazines. I remember buying copies of the SPHINX & GENII for $.25!

As Charles says in his OP..they're full of "good stuff".

I still have some of those early '40's SPHINXES & GENIIS!!!

High lighters help and sticky note markers help, but, indexing and retrieval of information is definiely a challenge. Computers help. However, storage can become even a bigger problem. When copy machines got better, I started copying the pages with particularly interesting material.

I file instruction sheets and magazine page copies according to EFFECT. --not PROP!!! (Check Fitzkee for his list of EFFECTS.)
This has become a file drawer FULL!

For specific props used in my working act, I have a small porta file which contains instructions and notes for those props. (This was a very practical suggestion by Bill Hegbli, who noted that props at estate auctions were often sold without instructions, then the instructions were sold separately! My heirs know that the porta file has material that goes with props in the act case.

Yup! "Thar's gold in them thar magazeens"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
JoshTmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
265 Posts

Profile of JoshTmagic
Yes! When I go back and read a previous magazine I am surprised on how much I still get from it the second and third time I read through it!

-JoshTmagic
:phoenixblue:
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S.

I mentioned my porta file containing instructioisn for props in my working act.

I should clarify that comment.

There are only a few props that aren't generic. A "Demon Wonder Box" (used as a pad for the 20C Silks)a Russ Walsh Vanishing Cane (used only occasionally to pad out my 45 minute school show to 60 minute evening family program) Tip-Cee Bottle (for high schools) and, occasionally the Disecto for high schools, an egg bag, and a Trouble Wit.

Every thing else in the show is "stuff" like golf ball manipulative routine, card shuffles, "Slydini Knots", rope knots, and "PN".

When it comes time to sell my estate, the paraphernalia will have more value if the buyer knows what the stuff is for, or how it is used. (I hope!) These comments are slightly off topic, but, may be helpful to those just starting out.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
722 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
No, thanks Mr.Oslund, these are helpful tips. I have folders & folders of magazine articles pertaining to tricks and history of magic. Back to my original post, the magazines I got, have so much info, I'm a "kid in a candy store".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Christmas Shopping Idea (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL