The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Looking for my 1st set of cups... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NashvilleNewman
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of NashvilleNewman
Any suggestions? Looking to Spend between $200 - $300. Would like a combo set (1 chop / 2 regular) Preferably copper. Seems to be so many choices. Figured this would be the best place to ask. Thanks in advance!
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
$200 for your first set? If I spent $200 on a set of cups and balls I would be scared to take them anywhere. I would get a much cheaper set.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Today, $200-$300 is not all that much for a set of cups, especially a combo set. Here's one I recommend:

http://www.rnt2.com/cups/combo-cup-sets/medium-combo-sets/
NashvilleNewman
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Then what set would you suggest for under $200. That would have been more helpful.

Quote:
On Dec 13, 2014, ZachDavenport wrote:
$200 for your first set? If I spent $200 on a set of cups and balls I would be scared to take them anywhere. I would get a much cheaper set.
NashvilleNewman
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Thanks Ray
I came across the $300 mirror finish set. I want something that will look good with age. Don't care if it loses it's lustre.

Quote:
On Dec 13, 2014, Ray Haining wrote:
Today, $200-$300 is not all that much for a set of cups, especially a combo set. Here's one I recommend:

http://www.rnt2.com/cups/combo-cup-sets/medium-combo-sets/
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2014, NashvilleNewman wrote:
Then what set would you suggest for under $200. That would have been more helpful.

Quote:
On Dec 13, 2014, ZachDavenport wrote:

It is not a chop cup, but I just got a set of stainless steel cups from bobsolarimagic.com/ that was on sale for $16.95. They have not come yet, so I can't personally tell you the quality but I have herd good things about these specific cups.
Reality is a real killjoy.
wsgumby
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of wsgumby
RNT2's Paul Fox mini cups are just fine for close up performances, and they are on the low end of $200-$300.
http://www.rnt2.com/cups/combo-cup-sets/mini-combo-sets/
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I don't have any experience with these cups, but I started with an earlier version that was great for learning and that I still use for practice. I assume these are the improved version.

Penguin Magic makes the PFD Cups for $125. My guess: PFD stand for Paul Fox design. They look like it, anyhow.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S17430

And they sell a matching chop cup for $45.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S17429

That's only $170 for 4 good looking and weighty cups that will age well and give you flexibility in performance. Strikes me as a good first set.
NashvilleNewman
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Thanks Plunk. I just purchased the Penguin ones. I'll let everyone know how they are. I was just going thru books I hadn't opened in years and found various routines (specifically the 2 cup routine in Williamsons Wonders) and thought I really need a set of cups, FINALLY!
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Happy to help. Yes, please review them here after you've had them for a bit. David
NashvilleNewman
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Plunk.
Got the cups in the mail the other day. For $125 I'm quite pleased so far. They are made in China (based on the "leaflet" that came in the box.) so if you're not into buying overseas...
However. The weight of the cups is fantastic. They are VERY solid. They're spun copper and look great. The crocheted balls (4) are very well made. Tight stitching and quality feel. The velvet bag is also well made and stretches a bit which will most likely accommodate a 4th cup (chop cup) which I'm already looking forward to purchasing. The set also came with a set of 4 mini tennis balls which, while cool, have various flaws, mainly with the rubber line that curves around the length of the ball (the line on one of them is much wider) Don't know if the audience would be able to tell the difference but just wanted to point it out. The cups will hold a regulation tennis ball, lemon, lime I even fit a live animal in there! (kidding)
While they are expensive for a first set (yea, I know I wanted to pay $300) I truly feel like these will last YEARS.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Great news! Have fun.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Looking for my 1st set of cups... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL