The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Monte Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ike_hill
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of ike_hill
I've done Skinner's Monte for years and going for something new and have basically narrowed it down to Stand Up Monte by Garrett Thomas (http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2547) or 3 by Steve Valentine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXHz0iDVnpA).

I've read both topics on the Café and people seem to love both. If price wasn't an issue, which would you prefer? Does anybody own both and have an opinion? Just looking for some feedback on which you think would be the better choice? Thanks.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Ike, I own both and will try to elucidate the differences. First of all, they are both excellent and you can't go wrong with either one. Both of them are very well thought out routines that will mystify and delight your spectators. Both are very difficult to backtrack because they are routined so well. Now, onto the differences:

Benefits of Stand Up Monte:

• For strolling environments where you're going to be performing over and over, the reset is a little easier and requires a little less thought (which can be important) but NEITHER reset is particularly difficult
  • Multiple phases occur in the spectator's hands
  • It is structured to build in impossibility and the last phase, rightfully, is the strongest; with '3' there is one phase, due to the nature of the routine, that feels weaker than its predecessors. Not a huge deal but is something worth mentioning
  • The cards can be handled a bit more freely due to the gimmick involved
  • Handling is quite a bit simpler and there is only one main 'move' in the routine

Benefits of '3':

• More visual and impossible looking transpositions all the way through
  • Each phase feels very different from its predecessors which keeps things varied in a nice way (but of course, that involves more moves and a larger learning curve)
  • The ending is completely unexpected (Stand Up Monte's ending is excellent but everyone knows what's going to happen) and is a wonderful climax to an already strong routine
  • Devious routine construction allows you to hand out the cards for examination at the end of the routine--nothing to find, nothing to see

These are currently two of my favorite packet effects to perform and I use them both at different times. My VERY slight preference is for '3' due to the visual nature of the changes and now that I've already learned the routine the learning curve is a non-issue, but lately I've been performing Stand-Up Monte and loving the flow of the routine. You really can't go wrong with either one and in fact, I'm going to have to go ahead and recommend both.

Good luck!
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Neither.

Bob Farmers Bammo Monte Monster.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I have all three of the above. 3 by Steve Valentine is also my favorite. Beautiful, magical changes. Stend-up Monte is also great but I have not been able to perform it as smoothly as I'd like. (A lot of different moves, none that difficult, but threading them together without any jerkiness or hesitation has been a problem for me. My problem, not the routine's!)

I haven't gotten through Bammo yet, though I have had that one the longest. Seven phases and I haven't found it easy to follow so far, so I put it aside in favor of others. I see where Bob Farmer released a good video of it last year and that may help me with it.

All in all, Steve Valentine's is my favorite.

Jim
ike_hill
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of ike_hill
I want to say thank you to everyone that responded. After Steven's breakdown of both I just decided to order both effects. They both sound great. Thanks everyone so much for their feedback.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Monte Help (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL