The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stopping time - any ideas (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

maggus
View Profile
New user
Barcelona
59 Posts

Profile of maggus
Dear all, as a part of a Mentalism act I'm preparing, I'm playing around with the idea of stopping time,
A part of the pk ring - stop watch effect and the recently released sands of time, could you please give me some suggestion about effects (based on a specific gimmick or not) that deal with this concept?
Thanks a lot in advance...
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
You might be interested in my effect "Time Stop," which originally appeared in my eBook "Test Conditions Mentalism," available at lybrary.com

Here's an excerpt describing the effect:

Quote:
"May I borrow your watch please?"

I go into the audience to get the watch, bring it back to the front of the room, and hold it in front of my eyes, gazing at the face as I say,

"Here's how you do it. You hold the watch close to your eyes and focus all of your attention on the second hand. Here, try it."

I hold the watch directly in front of a spectator's eyes and ask her to hold onto it while focusing all of her attention on the second hand.

As I walk away from her I ask her if she is completely focused on the second hand.

"Good. Now tell us all when it appears to slow down or stop."

After a few seconds she will either exclaim that the second hand stopped or that something strange seemed to happen.

I respond, "Good. Now close your eyes. Imagine the face of the watch. Imagine that you see the second hand moving again. Now imagine that you are looking at the hour and minute hands. It is about seven or eight minutes after eight o'clock. Imagine that the clock is suddenly speeding up. And now imagine that it has stopped once again.

"Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between illusion and reality. And somtimes illusion can actually become reality. Open your eyes, look at the watch, and tell us what time it is now."

She'll be obviously amazed when she states that the hands are now showing ten minutes to nine!
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Best one is to break the watch .Bob taught me that a while back, thanks Bob.
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
789 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
Hum, effect about going back in time are rather common (rather...) but stopping time... Smile

I suppose some levitations could be recycled, especialy water not falling from a glass (Ted Lesley has something in "Paramiracles") or a bottle (the Café send advertising for such an effect a month ago).

I also recall an effect of Punx (from his "Fourth Dimentional Mysteries") about going back in time that used an object that would shatter and turn into sand when taken out of the "time buble"... This could also be used Smile

There is finaly an anecdote about such an effect in "The Mind And Magic Of David Berglas" by David Britland.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
There's a very ballsy idea in 3510 by Luke Jermay, that I don't believe I will ever try myself, but that's not to say it wouldn't work.

There's also a brilliant idea in 'The Incredible Burt Wonderstone' that could be adapted to a time manipulation premise. Suffice to say, I won't be trying that one any time soon either!
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.

A concept that could be tailored to a "stop time" theme:

Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2847 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
No need to tailor or adapt. It's been done brilliantly by Alain Nu, covered in extensive detail in his book ***********.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Mark Elsdon has one in Conversation as Mentalism 2 that may fit your premise.
Art Vanderlay
View Profile
Special user
All I Read Was Corinda And Now I Have
642 Posts

Profile of Art Vanderlay
The first effect in my book Planes Mistaken For Stars teaches you how to stop and reverse time. You even witness a river start to flow backwards as time reverses.

Shameless plug over

Kind regards
Art
THE MAN WHO CONTROLS THE ELEMENTS!
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
523 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Hi,

In 3510 by Luke Jermay are effects with a watch, but not actually effects were you are stopping time. But in Building Blocks by the same author js one, when I'm not disremembering rith now. There are no props used, works with every watch with a second hand.
-

Prometheus
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Art is that book still available sounds great .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stopping time - any ideas (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL