The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Name change » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2014, Salguod Nairb wrote:
You mean like taking a cheap shot at a guy who can't defend himself on this board??

I responded to the original issue of this thread, as to what name I would choose if I could. It was Ed who decided to sling the mud. All I did was sling some back; you know, those in glass houses...

Feel free to sling mud at me, you certainly seem to be standing in enough of it.

Any "cheap shots" taken at Mark are based on my personal experience dealing with him and with his background not only on alt.magic but here before he was banned.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
Because we love turtles.

I would still choose Mark Lewis.

I would still ask why?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
Because we love turtles.

I would still ask why?

It was a freaking joke. The name was even censored for a while here. It's like Harry Potter and "He who must not be named."
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Tommy since I forgot to use a capitol t. I was in a rush and I only joined to ask one quick question.

Then Pop sent me off looking for Ricky Jay’s Big Book of Magic and I have been trying to get even with him ever since.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2014, tommy wrote:
Tommy since I forgot to use a capitol t. I was in a rush and I only joined to ask one quick question.

Then Pop sent me off looking for Ricky Jay’s Big Book of Magic and I have been trying to get even with him ever since.

:D
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2014, Destiny wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2014, Destiny wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
while lauding his one book.

In fairness, as Mr Lewis cannot respond to anything said here, he has published more than one book.

www.amazon.com/Mark-Lewis/e/B001KI2K4A/r......-7966129

Oh good for him. It still doesn't give him the right to diss others who have written books, edited magazines or made videos.

Quite correct - in modern western democracies no one need pass any qualification to hold and offer an opinion - no set amount of books to publish, or land to possess, or rank in the aristocracy to flaunt - like everyone else Mark is entitled to an opinion, and the number of books he has published is irrelevant.

He's certainly entitled to his opinion, and when I think his opinion is wrong, I am entitled to say so. And when his opinion is so off the wall ("I'm a better performer than Derek Dingle, I could do whatever Jim Sisti does if I felt like it.") Then I'm going to call him out on it. When he downright lies; ("I have friends who live in your area, they've seen your show and they think you suck!" ME-"When did they see my last show?" MW-"Oh, some time last year." ME-"I haven't done a show in over five years." MW-"Oh well, I like to lie some times to muck things up.") I have no patience left for him.

You've made that abundantly clear for years now. I'm sure everyone here knows you don't like Mark Lewis and he made you feel silly decades ago and you've never let it go, but does every mention of his name really need to be accompanied with a rehash of this? A light hearted joke becomes a huge argument because you'd trample old ladies underfoot if necessary to warn people Mark Lewis is Satan.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:Why? Has he in the past?

How best to respond to this... (actually pausing to think while posting this)

In my opinion, I believe I am the most disciplined user on the Magic Café. I will pause for you to catch your breath, but before you berate me in your response allow me to explain. Please indulge me for a just a moment. You can still always lambaste me in the end.

I have been a member here for 4 years give or take, and I lurked for a year or two prior. In those 4 years my post count has more or less stayed the same; namely 50 post. Though I enjoy when someone wonders why my post count does not go up, eventually some member explains the math of it. In simple terms my post count does not go up because I no longer post in areas where post count matters. Now think about that for a moment.

That means I don't go into the kid show area and tell experienced professionals that they are wrong, or regurgitate bits of stolen wisdom and passing it along as mine. I don't tell the busker's that are out making money everyday for a living that I do it better; when in reality I have never busked. I don't try to tell Bob how to do Mentalism, or argue with our Lawyer members over the law. I do see a lot of other members for whatever reason doing just that. What I do try to do is learn and stay in my lane.

So I stay mostly here in the NVMS section, and even here I cherry pick what threads in which to respond. I do occasionally get caught up in threads on issues that I feel strong about even though I know I was being baited. I try not to though. Seriously, go check out the numerous threads that I am not a part of... go ahead I'll wait.

It is so easy to join a forum in anonymity and spew forth a fraudulent string of false claims. Especially here on the big green. This area is mostly current events and fluff, but that is ok I like fluff. It is a great leveling agent where everybody can provide real input regardless of skill level or disposable income. I do cross the line sometimes and have been banned, and will most likely be banned again. It is the nature of the green beast.

You may now berate me to your hearts content.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
Quote:
You mean like taking a cheap shot at a guy who can't defend himself on this board??

I responded to the original issue of this thread, as to what name I would choose if I could. It was Ed who decided to sling the mud. All I did was sling some back; you know, those in glass houses...

Feel free to sling mud at me, you certainly seem to be standing in enough of it.

Any "cheap shots" taken at Mark are based on my personal experience dealing with him and with his background not only on alt.magic but here before he was banned.

But can you not see that you started it? I made my real response and you decided to take a cheap shot. Mark Lewis is a friend of mine.

If you really knew me you would know that I have a fondness for stories, or analogies if you will.

Are you familiar with Hercules and Cerberus? If not here is a short summary: (summarized)
Heracles went to Eleusis to be initiated in the Eleusinian Mysteries so he could learn how to enter and exit the underworld alive. Heracles found Hades and asked permission to bring Cerberus to the surface, to which Hades agreed if Heracles could overpower the beast without using weapons. Heracles was able to overpower Cerberus and proceeded to sling the beast over his back, dragging it out of the underworld through a cavern entrance in the Peloponnese and bringing it to Eurystheus.

This is sort of how I see the inner magic community. In order to learn the nuances of performing you have to prove your worthiness by showing determination and preparation for the long journey. Unfortunately these days, all you have to do is watch youtube, go to an answer/ask website, or just spend some money on a DVD. Now we have a lot of Monkey see Monkey do magicians, who repeat the act exactly as the seen it. But I shall stop before I go off on a tangent.

Now for my version fo the Hercules story in today's world:
Hercules goes to the underworld and see's a mean three headed dog; snarling and spitting venom at all who approach. Hercules then bravely reports Cerberus as an online bully and has him banned, and strolls into the underworld and becomes a legend in his own mind. (fade to black).

Take your own interpretation of the story as you like, but I see Cerberus and the guardian who dissuades the curious and undetermined away.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
Quote:
Because we love turtles.

I would still ask why?

Now that is the question you should have asked in the first place. I like Mark and have learned a great deal from him (and others). Let me see if I can find an animated gif to explain it.
Ah, found a video (it's short)
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Salguod Nairb, I for one appreciated your thoughtful response to ed Rhodes and I am glad you did it. Let me tell you about my feelings. Mark Lewis, while very successful and a major contributor in magic, could be and was very offensive and obnoxious in his posts to a lot of people. This no doubt caused people to push back and eventually the threads developed into an unpleasant cycle of postings. I have no idea about ed's past relationship with Mark, but I could understand his comment. Most people knew what he was implying and I don't even think Mark would have been offended but just consider another reason to enter into a tirade. I don't think he needs defending in his absence because his skills weren't questioned.

My real concern with you is that you and others have demeaned a hard working individual through his occupation, and a person that has demonstrated an interest and respect for magic and sharing it with others. If it wasn't for the hobbyist and part time magicians, there would be a lot less people exposed to magic and a declining market for those interested in learning and buying products. The "pros" may consider that class of magicians less than capable but they are the folks that generate the interest of others in magic from childhood on up, long before they encounter or have an interest in seeing a "pro".

Although some can consider ed's "attack" personal, I don't think it was as vicious as the uncalled for comments he received.

I personally believe everyone owes him an apology that insulted him, whereas Mark thrives on that kind of dialogue.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When you attack all bets are off.

While I did not attack his profession Ed sort of got what he deserved. Attacking a person out of the blue for no reason he knows full well can not defend himself is despicable and cowardly.

If people then poke fun at his profession it may not be nice but it never would have happened but for him not being able to keep his mouth shut. Had he not been nursing a decade old grudge nobody would have said a thing.

I personally am tired of this idiotic trend where people poke the bear and complain that they get mauled.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Slowkneenuh... We will have to agree to disagree. If this was a "I hate Mark Lewis" thread I would have handled it differently. But this was a fluff piece that turned into a vendetta thread, but I think I addressed that in my above post.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I wish him the best where ever he is but when you have been banned over and over again,
I would think that you don’t have any rights left to defend. The Café gave Mark way more than
his three strikes and you out. He deserves nothing, he asked for it, he likes it that way, and he got it.

Ed on the other hand is a good guy that plays by the rules. He deserves respect.

Tom
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Then go create a thread in one of the sections where post count counts and rattle your sabers to your heart content. I'm not saying you can't have an opinion on Mark, but this is more of a context issue. As to the rest, others may disagree.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No amount of bans entitle anyone to attack Mark for no reason. Sorry Tom that is just ridiculous.

I checked the rules here and could not find that. Please quote for me the rule that allows it.

The rules specifically prohibit attacking others. So by definition Ed does not "play by the rules". Isn't there even a passage about not nursing old grudges?

Sorry Tom but in no way is it ever right to attack another. Mark has indeed been banned and deservedly so. Nobody argues this point. But being cowardly and attacking a man not here to respond is against the rules.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
[quote]On Dec 19, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
You want people to hate/deride/laugh at you?

I have seen folks being "polite" that would be considered more of an "attack" than this comment. This isn't an attack but a truthful comment on how many people reacted to postings by Mark and not on his skills or contributions.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree that no one should ever be attacked. But sometimes the truth does slip out.

It's clear that Ed wasn’t the first one to mention Mark’s name.

Just his name is a no-no here and only a trouble maker would try to defend him.

Tom
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
And don't worry, Mark will be on his private sites boasting gleefully about the havoc his name has created. While the chivalrous defense of him in his absence will amuse Mr. Lewis, he will not reciprocate the courtesy of not attacking someone behind their back. Make no mistake about that.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is not about like or dislike. It is about cowardly attacks.

As for him not returning the courtesy the argument obviously becomes to complain about Mark Lewis you will act just like him. Great plan.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
If it helps, my second option for a name change was 'magicsanta', but since he was banned I can't choose that either according to the pack rules...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Name change » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL