The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What is the history of the teleporting ash trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danatmosci
View Profile
New user
Ogden, UT
18 Posts

Profile of Danatmosci
I am trying to find out who the original creator was for the teleporting ash trick. This is a classic effect where you approach someone who is smoking, have them close their hands, then you take their cigarette and tap some ash in your hand, you instruct them to watch as you rub it away. You tell them it didn't disappear but in fact it teleported, they open their hand and find some ash.

I love performing this one and do it frequently, I came up with a gimmick that allows me to perform this trick anywhere at any time. This is my first invention so I'm not sure where to look to find out if I simply rediscovered something or if it really is original, in which case I want to share it with the magic community. I want to learn everything I can about the history of this trick, but I haven't been able to find anything.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Thanks
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
You'll have a hard time finding an originator as the trick is just a simplified version of an almost ancient East Indian effect called "The Potsherd Trick." Henry Hay refers to it in "The Amateur Magicians Handbook."

The modern version is nowhere near as mystifying as the original and has basically become just another bar trick, well known to many non-magicians.

Not really mentalism, though.
Danatmosci
View Profile
New user
Ogden, UT
18 Posts

Profile of Danatmosci
Thank you for the reference, I use this trick a lot when I'm busking. When I do it the "normal" way, every now and then they call me out on it, it is a well known trick, but when I use my gimmick, it seems impossible for me to accomplish the illusion and nobody has caught on to how I have done it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What is the history of the teleporting ash trick? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL