The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dynamo LIVE: Sunday Jan 11th (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
Just watched it. I thought it was pretty fascinating discovering how he went about making his name, getting his breaks (which were hard earned) and generally what he thinks of magic and what he aspired / aspires to be.

But then I loved the Derren Brown lecture...so what do I know?
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I watched this interview barely knowing who Dynamo was(I live in a cave in NY LOL). I expected to see someone with little skill and stooges everything. What I saw was someone who thinks very deeply about his magic with some very serious skill with a pack of cards. He was a very likable young man with a passion for the art that was contagious. I certainly got a lot more from this interview than I expected. He didn't teach any effects until the end where he taught a 4 ace effect. So, if you're looking for effects only this would be a waste of time. If you're looking for general ideas, philosophies and theories of magic I thought this was very good.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
922 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, Ray Haining wrote:
People are referring to this as a "lecture," but it is actually being billed by Penguin as "an extended interview."

In the original ad it was billed as a 'lecture". But it was changed to recitify the error. As it is an extended interview.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
This is going to upset some mentalists, but every layman I've ever known who saw a mentalist perform successfully (and there aren't that many, maybe three or four) has told me that they had to be using "plants" (they don't say "stooges"). In their minds, there is no other explanation.

Just something to think about.
drorwis
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
103 Posts

Profile of drorwis
As a newbie to the "penguin live" concept (my firsts are Derren and Dynamo), and an occasional mentalist, I wanted to share
my take on both lectures.
First off,I kinda like Derren's work (earlier stuff rather than "apocalypse" stuff) and don't care much for Dynamo's work.
Still they both came across as very intelligent, intresting and likable guys and I have the utmost respect for what they achieved.
But, as far as content goes, or what I assumed (maybe wrongly) that I would get out of those "lectures", I didn't get much.
If I would give an example from a world that is closer to me (i'm a professional guitarist), these lectures would be the equivalent of
getting a lecture from Eric Clapton: it's something you probably wouldn't pass on. I would have expected that Mr. Clapton (aka "god" ;-))
would give me some advise like "this is a phrae I use" or "this is the way I implement the minor pentathonic scale when I play the blues",
rather than "get a good manager" or "practice every day"...
I feel that both Derren and Dynamo (from all sorts of reasons that might be justified) were leaning towards the second kind of advise
i mentioned (this is when they were not just giving a straight forward interview).
To sum up, for 10$ each, I didn't feel "cheated" in any way, inspite the fact that I didn't get any practical advise as a mentalist
(or magician for that matter) that has no plans of developing into a full time working pro.
On the other hand if my next two (or three) lectures will keep that line, I will probably feel a bit dissapointed, and wouldn't
carry on with the "all access pass".
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, drorwis wrote:
As a newbie to the "penguin live" concept (my firsts are Derren and Dynamo), and an occasional mentalist, I wanted to share
my take on both lectures.
First off,I kinda like Derren's work (earlier stuff rather than "apocalypse" stuff) and don't care much for Dynamo's work.
Still they both came across as very intelligent, intresting and likable guys and I have the utmost respect for what they achieved.
But, as far as content goes, or what I assumed (maybe wrongly) that I would get out of those "lectures", I didn't get much.
If I would give an example from a world that is closer to me (i'm a professional guitarist), these lectures would be the equivalent of
getting a lecture from Eric Clapton: it's something you probably wouldn't pass on. I would have expected that Mr. Clapton (aka "god" ;-))
would give me some advise like "this is a phrae I use" or "this is the way I implement the minor pentathonic scale when I play the blues",
rather than "get a good manager" or "practice every day"...
I feel that both Derren and Dynamo (from all sorts of reasons that might be justified) were leaning towards the second kind of advise
i mentioned (this is when they were not just giving a straight forward interview).
To sum up, for 10$ each, I didn't feel "cheated" in any way, inspite the fact that I didn't get any practical advise as a mentalist
(or magician for that matter) that has no plans of developing into a full time working pro.
On the other hand if my next two (or three) lectures will keep that line, I will probably feel a bit dissapointed, and wouldn't
carry on with the "all access pass".

Bit unfair to compare these two with a genuine legend , I know exactly where you are coming from but these 2 shouldn't even be sweeping the stage after Clapton . I love magic more than music but chalk and cheese would be an understatement . Now Tommy Wonder would be a different kettle of fish IMHO 😃
frankie5aces
View Profile
New user
Nowhere
77 Posts

Profile of frankie5aces
I just heard Brittany Spears is doing a lecture on singing and songwriting next month. Who else is in?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2015, frankie5aces wrote:
I just heard Brittany Spears is doing a lecture on singing and songwriting next month. Who else is in?

Exactly frankie well said 😄
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dynamo LIVE: Sunday Jan 11th (37 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL