The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » At what age did you get into "magic"? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Newsround
View Profile
New user
UK
82 Posts

Profile of Newsround
I'm quite late into it myself, but my 6 year old Son is showing a massive interest and a good knack for certain things, ie. he was playing around with some plastic cups then went and got a ball and started hiding it under the cups and moving it from cup to cup-easily seen, but he didn't think so! Just wondered, what age would you say is about right to start learning rather than just enjoying? I know you can do both, because that is where I am at, learning and enjoying, but for a 6 year old, would learning take away the enjoyment?
JoshTmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
265 Posts

Profile of JoshTmagic
That's awesome that he is already showing interest!
I would show him a few things and teach him a little but don't be too hard on him and don't force him to learn new things!
Just let him go at his own pace!

May be even a magic set for Christmas would be a good idea!

-JoshTmagic
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
My parents took me to a magic show when I was a kid, I don't remember it as I was too young. A shame because it was the amazing Le Grande David show. It left a big impression on me, even thought I can't remember it. Around my teens is when I got serious.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
I can't say how young I was when I took an interest in magic, but I probably started getting curious about performing magic when I was about 10 years old or so. I ordered a couple of small things from a retail catalog (I forget the name, but it was not a magic catalog), and was fascinated with it. As time and life went by, I would drop it for quite some time. I picked it up again significantly when I was 21 and stationed in San Diego. After a couple of years and a nasty divorce, I dropped it once again. Now, at 34, I am finally picking it up again, and hope to stay with it, as my life and time finally permits Smile

I have an 8 year old son that is interested in magic, and has expressed interest in the things I have shown him, so I am slowly trying to get him more acquainted with the art. I am in no hurry though, as I want him to ease into it and have a true appreciation for it. This way he doesn't become overwhelmed and decide that it is too complicated and give up before he really knows what is going on. I just started him off with a cheap little magic kit that you can get from Toys R Us...just to break the ice. He can take a look at the different tricks and tell me what he is interested in learning first. We go from there Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Jay Store
View Profile
New user
UK
30 Posts

Profile of Jay Store
It was my daughter discovering some gimmicks in a drawer at my parents house that got me back into magic about six months ago. She was four at the time but did quite a reasonable 'pins through coin' performance, and has since added a colour changing silk, and TT 'dancing lights' to her repertoire. She thinks she is very good at it. She fools her mummy! All basic tricks, commercially available in toys shops, but a great start... that I won't be pushing her in unless it's what she wants.
That said, you can guess what Father Christmas is bringing her! I think I can guess what she is planning to give me too!
Shadowstalker
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Shadowstalker
I got into magic around when I was 7 years old, because I got a magic set for christmas, I've been in and out since then.
Smile

When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable.
Teller
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I was 19 years old, my girlfriend worked in London next door to a magic shop and she brought a couple of things home. Been doing it ever since.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I really started just two years ago at age 65. My father was an amateur magician from his teens and into his twenties. Magic was in the house, and there was that secret trunk up in the attic. He performed very occasionally for local organizations but mostly dropped it when family and career took off. Two years ago, I was helping him clean out his attic prior to selling his house and... duh... there was a four foot long shelf of his books, many of them classic early editions. He gave them to me along with that secret trunk, I discovered Magic Café, and I've been preoccupied with magic every day since. I plan to start performing and to explore the local SAM assembly right after the first of the year. But mostly, it's a wonderful way for me to connect with my father, now 96. His hands are stiff, but I bought him Color Monte for Christmas, because the sleights aren't hard, and it's something he can do for his friends in his new elder community.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
At 9, I was inspired by magic in watching "The Magician" starring Bill Bixby along with Doug Henning's "The Magic Show." I was hooked after a few trips to Lou Tannens. I also had the privilege of meeting and having a great conversation with Doug Henning when I ran into him at a restaurant in Fire Island. I've always effectively used magic in corporate presentations and sales presentations. I must say the "Brick & Mortar" guys were always (and still are) a HUGE inspiration when hanging out with Barry Taylor (Barry's Magic Shop,) Denney Haney (Denny & Lee's,) and Nick Ruggiero (Collector's Workshop.)

I am proud that this a part of who I am and I have no regrets. Smile

Dan.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
My Mom died suddenly two weeks before my 13th birthday. They put me in jail, where I spent 6 months waiting for a foster home. A book cart came along regularly, and one day, I spotted Greater Magic. A whole new world opened to me. It got me through those six months and beyond!

Doug
Newsround
View Profile
New user
UK
82 Posts

Profile of Newsround
Great responses, thanks people. My Son has a set from last Christmas that he loves fooling around with, on an off and on basis, and has asked the big man in red for additions. So we have pointed the elves in the direction of a cheap toy set with included magic hat for magic rabbits disappear- I think he'll love it; if not I'm sure I will!
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of drmagico
Around age 12 doing some basic stuff from Dunninger book as I recall for a year then stopped...but started seriously learning and studying at age 21 and haven't stopped since.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Fooled around with magic book by Dunninger and a book by Blackstone on card magic at around 9 or 10. Off and on until much later. Now as a hobby and just an interest as to how effects are performed. Mostly card magic along with the shells and some mentalism.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I started at the age of 12. My mother purchased me a magic set that was on a commercial. It was a Marshall Brodien magic set.
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I was always interested in magic but didn't start until I was 63. I first learned ventriloquism and added magic little by little to make my shows more interesting and diverse. It's a great hobby.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Age 9 at the Disneyland Magic Shop.

Svengali deck. Today I was cleaning house and guess what I found?...a 31 year old Svengali deck with the Disneyland price tag on it!

Memories...and who would have thought that about 15 years later, I would end up performing magic at Disneyland...
MScapes
View Profile
New user
New Brunswick, Canada
56 Posts

Profile of MScapes
Started with a magic set at Christmas when I was around 7. Grew with the Copperfield TV specials. Reignited with the first David Blaine special where I started doing card magic at social events and bars, then about 2 years ago became an obsession after my sister bought my son a magic set for his birthday.
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
At about 7 or 8 years old. I just turned 60 this month.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
Joey_Z
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin, USA
89 Posts

Profile of Joey_Z
10 and 30 and 42...This time I think it is sticking
Hydrostevo
View Profile
New user
Stamford, England
56 Posts

Profile of Hydrostevo
Got a Paul Daniels magic set when I was 7 and I was hooked Smile. I spent the next thirty years dabbling with various bits an bobs until about two years ago a close friend suggested I stopped fiddling about and made a commitment. With the guidance of some very awesome magicians I am now more focused on a few illusions professionally performed than a ton of tricks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » At what age did you get into "magic"? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL