The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Depository » » Limited Edition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
What is the history of Limited Edition decks of cards? I noticed that some decks are sold out within a few hours while other decks may last a couple years or so. It would be nice if there was a really good deck of cards such as Red Monarchs that were unlimited. Are there people out there that agree with this or not, or is it more popular to keep them on limited terms?

Is it physically possible for the US Playing Card company to keep unlimited amount of Premium quality cards or not?

I just want a really good deck of cards that I can rely on that will always be available for more than 10 years as oppose to a few hours.

Just trying to get a better idea of what the heck is going on out there? Are there too many collectors wanting to play the collectable game rather than see a good deck on sale for more than 10 years?

Many thanks,
Keith Mitchell
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
What is the point of collectable playing cards when they go on sale for just a short time before being sold out? I think people are being ripped-off! These decks or the people playing the collectable game is a sham.
colinj
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of colinj
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2015, Keith Mitchell wrote:
What is the point of collectable playing cards when they go on sale for just a short time before being sold out? I think people are being ripped-off! These decks or the people playing the collectable game is a sham.


If they were available for an unlimited amount of time they wouldn't be particularly collectable. If the cards sell out in a short time there must be something pleasing about the design (or the designer) to account for the quick sales. I think with number of decks being produced today a lot of these collectable decks wont end up being worth a lot in the long run but I don't think it can really be called a sham. More of a trend that has been enabled because of things like kickstarter.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2015, colinj wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2015, Keith Mitchell wrote:
What is the point of collectable playing cards when they go on sale for just a short time before being sold out? I think people are being ripped-off! These decks or the people playing the collectable game is a sham.


If they were available for an unlimited amount of time they wouldn't be particularly collectable. If the cards sell out in a short time there must be something pleasing about the design (or the designer) to account for the quick sales. I think with number of decks being produced today a lot of these collectable decks wont end up being worth a lot in the long run but I don't think it can really be called a sham. More of a trend that has been enabled because of things like kickstarter.


I don't agree with this at all, I really believe there can be other ways to make a deck of cards more of value in the long run.
colinj
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of colinj
Other than maybe having them signed by someone famous I don't really see how something in continuous production can increase in value. It is only ever going to be worth the standard retail price becuse anyone that want one can just go out and buy it. The only reason people can get $50 or $100 for a deck of cards is because they are no longer being sold so people are willing to pay more.

No one is going to pay $50 for a standard deck of bikes because they can go buy one for a couple of bucks at a store. If suddenly they stopped printing them or radically changed the design then the current ones would increase in value but otherwise how would they ever become more valuable?
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
What I was thinking was certain people can use the cards in secret performances to entice new club members and certain other people could buy them at one specific location. They would have to earn the right to buy them, maybe a limit of 5 decks of cards.

Kind of like joining an elite group and only they could get access to the cards.

This is just a rough idea of what could be done and am sure it could be done successfully. After all, magicians are very creative people.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
Bicycle started its own Club 808 a few years ago and only members can purchase certain decks they produce. Of course many members then sell these on the open market so the decks still make their way out to non-club buyers.
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
575 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2014, Keith Mitchell wrote:
<snip>
Is it physically possible for the US Playing Card company to keep unlimited amount of Premium quality cards or not?
<snip>


Yes. They sell them to casinos.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Depository » » Limited Edition (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL