The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looch - The Black Project (183 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..27~28~29 [Next]
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3746 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Personally having seen the books in the flesh so to speak and watching them fly off the shelves I walked away the proud owner of copy #88.

As far as some of the points in this thread, is it the best book ever? Don't know, not read it yet but it is certainly up there with the most beautiful. New trend? I think I paid £35 for Coinmagic and around £50 for Expert coin magic somewhere in the region of 30 years ago. This represented a far larger portion of a weeks wages back then than the black project does today. I paid around £100 for the limited edition leather bound harbincadabra somewhere in the region of 30 years ago. That was over a weeks wages.

Will this book suddenly make me a great performer? No of course not, but the study of many books including this will, in the long run, provide me with more tools that I can use to make myself a better performer. Are there people out there more experienced than Looch (I'm not going to bite on the better because that is purely subjective) sure, of course there are and generally I apply the same buying decision to their work as I applied to Looch's, does their material that I'm familiar with fit me and does the content of that particular book interest me. Personally I would happily pay in this ball park for The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy 2 and much of Richard Osterlinds work. I personally think that Matt Mello's material is vastly underpriced.

Ihowever there are things I can learn from Looch that even Bob C and Richard O can't teach me because they do not have Looch's experience of working in the UK market, it's those areas of this book where I see the true value. However I bought this book for several reasons, first it is thick enough that I can stand on it to reach the top shelf of my kitchen cupboard where I keep the goodies I don't want my kids getting hold of, second I live on a hill and the hand brake is knackered on my car and it's heavy enough to use as a chock to stop my car rolling down the hill. Finally the box it comes in doubles up as a box file and my local WH Smith were out of stock and I need somewhere to keep my bills organised.

Seriously though, I like looch's material and trust him as a creator, this is two large volumes full of very good information particularly pertaining to the UK market. Steve Haresign who's quality is legendary has absolutely surpassed himself, this really is beautiful and a thing of beauty is a joy forever.

As far as the suggestion that Atlas is only promoting the book because Looch is his friend, way way off base. In my 51 years on this planet I have never met a man with more integrity than Atlas Brookings. If there were more like Atlas in the world it would be a far brighter place.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1148 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Please do give us your thoughts on the book when you can!

I find your opinion always on point and to be of the same integrity you admire.
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
Is promo over? It is summer and holidays peirod of the year, would be great to see it extended week or two more...
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2015, MagicAtlas wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2015, Stefmagic wrote:
Atlas : will you pay 400$ for Black project or will you get it for free from you friend Looch ?


Interestingly, the fact that I edited half the book for him, meant that I had READ half the book and expected that the other half would have been to the same standard, and so I offered to buy my copy. I have no qualms about paying for material that I use - just ask Laurence Hookway. He sent me a copy of his excellent PIN routine and I use it and love it and so paid him for it.

Looch insisted that I receive my copy free of charge because of all the time I spent in editing the book, which was a very kind thing to do. But to answer your question, I did indeed approach him cash in hand with zero sense of entitlement or any expectations of anything but a straight forward purchase.

Best,

Atlas
It's always funny that friends or peoples working a project or even the author himself of a book, are thoses starting
a post about the new upcoming book! I like your honesty Atlas about the fact that you'll get the book for free.

It's always easy to praised a book when you don't have to put your hands in your pocket! Even if you asked for paying it, fact is that you DON'T.

It's what always happened in the past, people praising and hyping books are most of the time the one receiving the book for free! That kind of the deal, you commented positively on the Café and on others forums and in return, the book will be mailed!

But again Atlas, you proved your a first class guy by saying you get the book for free... most of the guys out there won't do that!

Fact is that I owned most of the material out there from Looch, I can't say that I'm impressed that much from his material to throw
blindly 400$ for a book! If you told me that Derren Brown worked on a book project for 10 years about his pet material and performanc tips, then I'll throw easily 400$!

I didn't saw Looch improved that much his performance skill or acting as a "mentalist" from his first DVD "your thoughts are mine" to his recent Penguin lecture. In other hand, Marc Spelmann improved a lot from his first DVD Chapters to his recent performances.

This book might be really good, I won't be able to say because I'll never pay that much money for a single book, even if I'm able to buy 10 times that price!
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2015, Stefmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2015, MagicAtlas wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2015, Stefmagic wrote:
Atlas : will you pay 400$ for Black project or will you get it for free from you friend Looch ?


Interestingly, the fact that I edited half the book for him, meant that I had READ half the book and expected that the other half would have been to the same standard, and so I offered to buy my copy. I have no qualms about paying for material that I use - just ask Laurence Hookway. He sent me a copy of his excellent PIN routine and I use it and love it and so paid him for it.

Looch insisted that I receive my copy free of charge because of all the time I spent in editing the book, which was a very kind thing to do. But to answer your question, I did indeed approach him cash in hand with zero sense of entitlement or any expectations of anything but a straight forward purchase.

Best,

Atlas
It's always funny that friends or peoples working a project or even the author himself of a book, are thoses starting
a post about the new upcoming book! I like your honesty Atlas about the fact that you'll get the book for free.

It's always easy to praised a book when you don't have to put your hands in your pocket! Even if you asked for paying it, fact is that you DON'T.

It's what always happened in the past, people praising and hyping books are most of the time the one receiving the book for free! That kind of the deal, you commented positively on the Café and on others forums and in return, the book will be mailed!

But again Atlas, you proved your a first class guy by saying you get the book for free... most of the guys out there won't do that!

Fact is that I owned most of the material out there from Looch, I can't say that I'm impressed that much from his material to throw
blindly 400$ for a book! If you told me that Derren Brown worked on a book project for 10 years about his pet material and performanc tips, then I'll throw easily 400$!

I didn't saw Looch improved that much his performance skill or acting as a "mentalist" from his first DVD "your thoughts are mine" to his recent Penguin lecture. In other hand, Marc Spelmann improved a lot from his first DVD Chapters to his recent performances.

This book might be really good, I won't be able to say because I'll never pay that much money for a single book, even if I'm able to buy 10 times that price!


Stef--I don't understand your point. You say "if you told me that Derren Brown worked on a book for 10 years...then I'll easily throw $400". A few sentences later you say "I'll never pay that much money for a single book"???
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Brehaut

I'll never pay that much money for a single book...except for Derren Brown!
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3746 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I consider Looch a friend however I'm not as close a friend as Atlas, however I did not get the book for free. I walked away from 2Minds with my wallet completely empty and a big smile on my face. As far as comments about acting skill and performance ability, personally I enjoy watching Looch but I didn't buy this book based on Looch as a performer, I based it on Looch as a creator. Derren was mentioned, I love Derren as a performer by much of Derrens released material simply doesn't suit me. I can honestly say that I will use far more from the Black Project than I will from Pure Effect although of course Pure Effect is a great book and I gain value from it in a different way than I will from Looch's book.

As a mentalist I am at best an average performer, but as a thinker I know that I can tweak the crap out of many effects and plug the holes that others sometimes miss. When my book is released anyone that bases their buying decision by comparing my performance ability to Derrens or Marc Spellman's will miss out on some lovely material. Likewise it will be my friends who are probably the most enthusiastic in promoting it because it was those friends that pushed me to put that material into print in the first place.

Let's talk about friendships for a moment, most of my friends in Mentalism were, until quite recently, complete strangers. This is a very friendly industry on the whole, all it takes for a stranger to become a friend is a beer at a convention or a chance meeting. Many of these friendships are born out of mutual respect. I am very lucky to have made some wonderful friendships through mentalism. Michael Murray lives 300 miles from me and without an initial contact in order to share some ideas followed by meeting at camp mental I'd never got to know him and now I love him like a brother regardless of mentalism. The same is true of all of the friends I've made through mentalism. However if one released a turkey I would call it a turkey or I would say nothing at all. I will never give a dishonest opinion about anybodies work whether they are friend or foe and would trust Atlas implicitly and unreservedly.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1687 Posts

Profile of celebrity
They say that you can't judge a book by its cover, TBP proves otherwise. The sheer beauty of these books is only paralleled by the quality of its contents.

They are incredible!!!!
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Gumar Oz DuBar
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2015, looch wrote:
Everything can be used by US guys Smile


Your response is much appreciated.
I write and edit text.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2281 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
I already ordered it, but would like to know for those that picked it up at 2MINDS, how are you liking it so far, after a day of having it.

Thanks Michael for your input.

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3865 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
When and how will people who pre-ordered the 2 book set be notified of how to access Hanger-18?

Thank you.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
JMAuthentics
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, UK
10 Posts

Profile of JMAuthentics
Echoing the words of other posters, I can't wait to get mine!
elcycib
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of elcycib
I have been in the motor trade and selling industry for over 22 years, and can honestly say that the chapter of TBP on negotiation is one of the best pieces of literature on this subject I have ever read. I know Looch is a lover of cars and must have been on the opposite side of the negotiation table on many occasions. The information contained in this chapter alone will serve you well in all aspects of your life, not just in mentalism. This is a business book and is written by someone who clearly knows his stuff. If you were to attend a seminar to gain this info, it would cost you much, much more than the price of this wonderful book.

Oh and by the way, the effects are of the highest quality, as is the beautiful design, printing, and binding, care of Mr Smith and Mr Haresign!!

Very rarely is something as beautiful on the inside as it is on the outside, THE BLACK PROJECT IS!!!

Thank you for sharing Looch.

Cheers
Richie Carrigan
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1320 Posts

Profile of bond19
The book is incredibly well put together and will sit on my shelf with other esteemed tombs. I'm actually looking forward to when I'm 75 with pipe in hand staring proudly at my eccentric collection of magic and mentalism books. And TBP will look lovely nestled amongst them!

But seriously, for me £250 for Looch's 10 years of graft, honing his skills in the UK market, refining his material and then served up in one the most impressively produced two volume book sets I've yet seen. Count me as a satisfied and happy buyer (and no, I am not friends with Looch so I have nothing to gain here). I have met him and he does seem like a down to earth chap.

Best of luck with your sales. I will enjoy and no doubt benefit from the routines, stories, philosophies and solid business / marketing advise you have included in your past 10 years work..

Chris
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
937 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Uncompromisingly high production values and the content is absolutely top notch. This hasn't just been thrown together by someone trying to make a quick profit from the mentalist market - it's clearly a labour of love and something Looch will look back on when he's old and grey and proudly declare "I did that."

So pleased I bought these lovely books!

Jamie
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Paul Fitzgerald
View Profile
Regular user
Panama City, Panama
125 Posts

Profile of Paul Fitzgerald
Consider this please before making your decision on TBP

1. The previous quality of material released by Looch over the last 10 years including SAD, Area Booktest, LPI, Hamburg notes and so on...........

2. The reliability of Looch to deliver on time, without any fuss and to reply quickly to emails answering questions, clarifications and not just orders.

3. The success this guy has had in the markets he operates from weddings to corporates, close-up to stage.

4. The knowledge and real-life experiences performing mentalism and managing his business that he is willing to share.

5. The support Looch has from many respected professionals globally, from Bob Cassidy to Michael Murray and so on...

6. For Ten years work the guy is asking for an outlay of something like two british pounds for each month 250/120 months...seriously that is crazy

7. The quality of the book's production values are second to none courtesy of Steve Haresign.

8. I've only had the book a few days and will provide a more detailed review at a later date on content, however this is a mentalist that has been around and contributed to our community for over 10 years, and not someone who has disappeared after a single release... I know it's a hefty one-off outlay but if you're serious about mentalism and performing we have to try our best to support TBP and mentalists such as Looch, Atlas, Michael Murray, Kennedy otherwise they will focus on performance only and their creativity will be lost to this community.

Best of Luck Looch with TBP.

Cheers,
Paul.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, jbadman wrote:
Uncompromisingly high production values and the content is absolutely top notch. This hasn't just been thrown together by someone trying to make a quick profit from the mentalist market - it's clearly a labour of love and something Looch will look back on when he's old and grey and proudly declare "I did that."

So pleased I bought these lovely books!

Jamie



Well said !
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5670 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
With few nice opinion/ reviews coming in 'The Black Project' looks quite promising and could be worth the high price tag.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
I have only read 30 pages so far and I'm really enjoying it. The book itself is a thing of beauty and there are a few fun surprises along the way. Again, the quality of the book and the material it's made out of is awesome. Im really looking forward to reading the rest
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3418 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2015, magicinsight wrote:
When and how will people who pre-ordered the 2 book set be notified of how to access Hanger-18?

Thank you.
Michael


Once Skunkworks is open to personel, an email will be sent. Wont be too long now

Smile
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looch - The Black Project (183 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..27~28~29 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL