The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looch - The Black Project (183 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..17..20..23..26..27~28~29 [Next]
Zee
View Profile
Regular user
Leonia, NJ
195 Posts

Profile of Zee
I might place my order this Sunday or next Monday. Will it still be Pre-Order?
Heka Siosiri
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Heka Siosiri
Yes, this price thing is going out of control. I'm sure it's going to be incredible material, lots of stuff, and I will probably try to purchase this.. but, in my opinion, these prices have reached a point of insanity. In this particular case there are not even so few copies available. $450 is the price I paid for a two ways ticket to London, Derren's show ticket and one night stay in a hotel.

I hope for some unbiased reviews to be available before the 27th
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Looks really nice, and probably contains all kinds of gems, but the wife would kill me. Good luck with the project.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
919 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Looks really nice, and probably contains all kinds of gems, but the wife would kill me. Good luck with the project.

Yeah same here.. I could argue if it was 200, but 450? Not a chance! Lol.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3432 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, Zee wrote:
I might place my order this Sunday or next Monday. Will it still be Pre-Order?

Yes buddy, right up until general sale after MINDS convention

In regards to peoples concerns with pricing, I can understand why some people might think that way but let me try and get you to think about it from my point of view:

Over 10 years ago I was hired for my first paid Mentalism show. It was in York, UK and I was paid £350 to perform for 2 hours mingling at a party. The guy who booked me had never heard of me, but had faith to pay me that amount for essentially 120 minutes of performing mentalism to guests at a Christmas party. Is it therefore absurd to expect fellow mentalists to pay £260 for 10 years worth of my thoughts, hard work and experience? Back then I was a hobbyist, a young man who thought he knew everything, In this past decade I have made a huge transformation into one of the busiest, and repeatedly booked mentalists in the UK, winning several awards along the way.

I perform 2/3 events a week and am repeatedly booked time and again by my clients. In The Black Project, I share not only my current close up and stand up repertoire, but my tips on negotiating fees, approaching groups, opening effects, publicity stunts and countless real world performance stories where I learnt the real secrets of performing for people.

Back in 2008 when I first broadcast an effect called 'Influence' https://youtu.be/qteK8KPILr4 When people saw it, they went nuts, wanting to find out how it was done, well that just ONE of the chapters in The Black Project. Another chapter deals with how I fooled a room full of hard nosed Journalists & Police in a police station http://looch.co.uk/the-prediction/ The method and every subtlety I used is in there for you to take and generate as much publicity as I did, those 2 chapters in themselves are worth much more to the working mentalist than the cost of the entire book. I say this because I am proof of that claim.

This book is me at my most honest; I could not be more open in it if I tried. Yesterday was the busiest 24hrs of my life with sales and from looking at the list of owners; it’s the workers who have invested in this, and for that I am truly thankful. If you think its too much then I respect your opinion, but if you are one of the mentalists that go out and perform for paid fees then the cost of this book is minuscule compared with your return. You should have more than cleared the cost within one booking.

For those who have invested their faith and money in me, I am confident that The Black Project will take pride of place on your bookshelf or coffee table.

Thank you
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Can you issue a VAT receipt in the UK?
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, VIEW wrote:
Can you issue a VAT receipt in the UK?

There is NO VAT charged on books
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Looch you said" Is it therefore absurd to expect fellow mentalists to pay £260 for 10 years worth of my thoughts, hard work and experience?"

Well YES it's absurd! Following your twisted way of thinking, the Berglas effect book should be billed at 5000 $!!!!
David Berglas shared inside that book the holy grail of mentalism for 30 years!!!
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, Stefmagic wrote:
Looch you said" Is it therefore absurd to expect fellow mentalists to pay £260 for 10 years worth of my thoughts, hard work and experience?"

Well YES it's absurd! Following your twisted way of thinking, the Berglas effect book should be billed at 5000 $!!!!
David Berglas shared inside that book the holy grail of mentalism for 30 years!!!

Then don't purchase--that's all. Do you go to a Channel store or a Mercedes store and argue that the price is too high? If you don't want it--don't buy it. Personally I feel like someone revealing many of their most guarded methods and thoughts from a a 10 year period in a 2 volume hard back presentation is worth $450. I know you can buy 10 $40 effects off a site today and probably never use them again. Also, not sure how you can say its over priced when you don't know the material! Essentially you are saying that a book---no matter how much is included or what is included can not be $450. I disagree. Looch has a great reputation, so I have no qualms preordering.

Look forward to the release Looch!

PS--I don't know Looch, never met him, never exchanged messages, etc. Just giving my thoughts, just like Stefmagic you were giving your thoughts.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
914 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Interestingly enough, second-hand books sell for $350+. I have seen other books hit the $800. It is funny how it is 'okay' for second-hand market to sell at those outrageous prices when the first run should not. What boggles me more is that many of this expensive books have less material in them. The production of such books is 'standard'.

I do not know Looch personally but have had some of his products/lectures. Given the quality, material, and insights, it is a reasonable price to ask for a tome. Yes, it is expensive but so are many of the illusions. Heck, not long ago, an effect that was released in the 200+ range and it was only one effect. What justified the price? People here said it was a worker. People here said it was props quality. People here said it was the full scripting. Apparently, we are getting workers from a worker, we are getting quality, and we are getting much more than one effect including Influence (the method of which may or may not disappoint).

Just my 2 cents.

Looking forward to the release.
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
919 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
There is no doubt in my mind that this is worth every penny..

Looch is one of the hardest working mentalists out there. His material has never disappointed me.
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of BCE
Where is this $450 US number coming from? The exchange rate from 260 UK = $403 US? Is shipping nearly $50 US? For a coffee table-sized book?

If I may ask, and since I haven't seen this mentioned yet, how much of the material is s****/p**-****?
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, BCE wrote:
Where is this $450 US number coming from? The exchange rate from 260 UK = $403 US? Is shipping nearly $50 US? For a coffee table-sized book?

If I may ask, and since I haven't seen this mentioned yet, how much of the material is s****/p**-****?

From the portions I edited, none of it was. From my experience with him, that approach isn't really Looch's style.

Best,

Atlas
voh002
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of voh002
IMHO I mean the author is free to charge whatever he want, and we are free to choose if we want to buy it.

I recon several of the electronics mentalism gadgets cost very little to produce, but sells for a pretty high price. That is not the point. People buy it for the brilliant idea it is and how we can incorporate it into our shows.

I feel it is the same with this book. If you get A class information and effects, it is (for me) worth much more then the original price.
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of BCE
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, MagicAtlas wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, BCE wrote:

From the portions I edited, none of it was. From my experience with him, that approach isn't really Looch's style.

Best,

Atlas

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I didn't think so, but just wanted to be sure.
magicmerlz
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of magicmerlz
I've been looking forward to this for some time and have to agree that my initial reaction to the price was 'Where does it end?'. With recent releases such as Train Tracking & Michael Murrays book all creeping over the £100 mark, I was expecting this to be about £180 -£200. As it turns out it will be over £300 with postage when it goes on general release...which is a lot of money by anyone's standards for a book. However let's assume that there are at least 10 great effects in this book (I would hope there are many more for the money), then this breaks down to £30 per effect. I spend this at least once a month on general magic/mentalism effects and accessories. The initial outlay is what I think scares everybody as to spend £300 in one hit, be it on one effect or one book is discomforting.

I do think that there should at least be a contents list made available and maybe a brief explanation of the effects within. I also think that to have to pay shipping costs on top of the high purchase price is taking it a bit too far...postage should be included.

I'm still on the fence, and have actually clicked the buy button several times only to backtrack, however I wish Looch and the book every success.

Regards to all.

Matt
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Just remember that you will be learning effects, not actual superpowers when you press the buy button.
:)
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1863 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, looch wrote:
Over 10 years ago I was hired for my first paid Mentalism show. It was in York, UK and I was paid £350 to perform for 2 hours mingling at a party. The guy who booked me had never heard of me, but had faith to pay me that amount for essentially 120 minutes of performing mentalism to guests at a Christmas party.

Just out of curiosity, why did he have that faith?

This offering is no doubt worth the money. In fact, one could argue that the material contained within is no doubt priceless. It's just a matter of whether or not one can afford it.

And yes, postage from the U.K. to the U.S. is through the roof. I once was going to order a book from England that cost $50. The postage was also about $50! I passed and tracked down a copy in the U.S.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3432 Posts

Profile of Looch
I do not know, but since then I have performed for him every year since (except one) plus his daughters wedding & a charity event he organised. Sometimes a leap of faith pays off, especially when something just feels right. I can't wait for buyers to physically lay their eyes & hands on The Black Project, someone said yesterday they hoped it was a game changer. I honestly believe it is.
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Zee
View Profile
Regular user
Leonia, NJ
195 Posts

Profile of Zee
Price is high for sure. I currently have no income because I have been studying for series of tests for last couple of months and I might have still have to study until October, but I have $500 left in my pocket and that's all I have for now. I had to make decision whether I am going to get the book or spend my last pennies else where. I thought of it for few hours and I have decided to get it. I'm basically homeless for next a couple of months so it's better not fail my faith Smile

I have a couple of reasons why this price is acceptable(for me). First, many limited edition books are usually around 150 pounds or above and their page count is about 200~300, but TBP has page count of roughly 600, so that's almost double the material(not only effects and routines but also essays and stories. I love essays and stories). Furthermore, it contains two hard bound book which are beautiful crafted based on my brief observation, and it will look fantastic on my bookshelves. If layman sees it, they will think "what a sexy looking book" and if fellow magician sees it, they will say "What the XXXX! You have it?!?! Can I please borrow it?" And my answer would be "nah~ bruh". It is a great source of learning but also great luxury isn't it.

Second reason is that, it the price is high enough, then only those who are serious about Mentalism are going to purchase this book. And "exposers" and those who illegal people are most likely not to get it because even we think it is expansive so as they do. Keeping it out of reach for random people is a good side of having have price tag Smile

Zee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looch - The Black Project (183 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..17..20..23..26..27~28~29 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.63 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL