The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looch - The Black Project (183 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..27~28~29 [Next]
magicmerlz
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of magicmerlz
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, Zee wrote:
Price is high for sure. I currently have no income because I have been studying for series of tests for last couple of months and I might have still have to study until October, but I have $500 left in my pocket and that's all I have for now. I had to make decision whether I am going to get the book or spend my last pennies else where. I thought of it for few hours and I have decided to get it. I'm basically homeless for next a couple of months so it's better not fail my faith Smile

I have a couple of reasons why this price is acceptable(for me). First, many limited edition books are usually around 150 pounds or above and their page count is about 200~300, but TBP has page count of roughly 600, so that's almost double the material(not only effects and routines but also essays and stories. I love essays and stories). Furthermore, it contains two hard bound book which are beautiful crafted based on my brief observation, and it will look fantastic on my bookshelves. If layman sees it, they will think "what a sexy looking book" and if fellow magician sees it, they will say "What the XXXX! You have it?!?! Can I please borrow it?" And my answer would be "nah~ bruh". It is a great source of learning but also great luxury isn't it.

Second reason is that, it the price is high enough, then only those who are serious about Mentalism are going to purchase this book. And "exposers" and those who illegal people are most likely not to get it because even we think it is expansive so as they do. Keeping it out of reach for random people is a good side of having have price tag Smile

Zee



Unfortunately the high price is no deterrent to illegal downloaders. I recently emailed another high profile mentalist on the Café who also released a high priced limited edition book (that I own) with the unfortunate news that his book is now advertised for sale on foreign websites. Despite the limited release and screening of potential purchasers the book is now available to all. As much as it pains me to say it, the same will probably be true of this release.
Zee
View Profile
Regular user
Leonia, NJ
195 Posts

Profile of Zee
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, magicmerlz wrote:
Despite the limited release and screening of potential purchasers the book is now available to all. As much as it pains me to say it, the same will probably be true of this release.



Well... I don't care what those people do with it, I am going to get it anyways Smile

I just placed my order and I think I might not be able to fall asleep until the day I get my hands on the book because of excitement!!!
boboswitch
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of boboswitch
I am not a professional mentalist. Actually, I do something altogether else for a living. I am, like most of us, able to recognize excellence even when it is not necessarily in our field of expertise and experience. I do have enough interest and have spent enough time as a hobbyist to travel to see Looch live at his Penguin lecture - I attended with my daughter. Certainly the taped version of the lecture is fantastic, but I want to try to convey what a rush and what energy was in the P3 Theater before, during, and after Looch gave his lecture. I saw first-hand what impact "face-time" with Looch can have on an audience and how that impact gave way to awe. The live studio audience was virtually stunned. Then, if such "giving" and "transparency" during the lecture was not enough, Looch spent considerable time after the lecture answering many questions. One of those questions came from my daughter and Looch took the time to demonstrate the technique from one of the lecture routines until my daughter herself got it -- essentially what amounted to a short lesson with Looch. That night inspired my daughter -- past topics of mentalism. She still frequently talks about attending that lecture. So, value to me for getting a look at the Black Project which is also, essentially, a direct lesson with Looch? Priceless. My copy is reserved and I know that my daughter will be eager to read it as well to continue the inspiration from the one-on-one coaching -- which is essentially what I anticipate the entirety of the Black Project will be.

Frank
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2015, Zee wrote:
Price is high for sure. I CURRENTLY HAVE NO INCOME because I have been studying for series of tests for last couple of months and I might have still have to study until October, but I HAVE $500 LEFT IN MY POCKET AND THAT'S ALL I HAVE FOR NOW. I had to make decision whether I am going to get the book or spend my last pennies else where. I thought of it for few hours and I have decided to get it. I'M BASICALLY HOMELESS FOR NEXT A MONTHS so it's better not fail my faith Smile


Offtopic,

Iff this is the truth, Looch would be a gentleman by sending your money back.
If you make these kind of decisions with your last money you should seek help....

Iff this is a lie, why?


Ontopic,

Sorry Looch had put some money aside for purchasing The Black Project but never thought It would be this expensive.
As a hobbyist this is to much for me.
Nevertheless I believe this will be great and wish you all the best with selling this great project.
Looking forward to your next book.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1048 Posts

Profile of sbays
I like Looch and his material.

That said, I do not support this current trend of 500 dollar books period. I do not care what it contains or who wrote it. Yes I believe creators have the right to charge what they like, just like we have the right to buy it or not. But the whole limited edition, keep out of the hands of the merely curious blah blah blah, those are all just sales jargon to create the impulse buy. Marketing 101. We all want what we can't have type of thing.

I compare these works to the material released by Cassidy, Corinda, Annemann, and I have yet to see one deliver the goods as well as these have for a fraction of the cost. But this is just my personal values I am placing on this. If you feel good about dumping 500 dollars for a book, more power to you. I don't, never have and never will. (most likely)

Good luck to Looch on his project.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3756 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I personally am of the opinion that a lot of books are underpriced particularly the works of Bob Cassidy. Now that I am writing a book myself and I realise the work (and even costs) that go into it that opinion has not changed. My book has already been a year in the making and it is still not finished and it has a fraction of the material that The Black Project contains although I hope the quality of the content will be on a par. The artist then needs to be paid for the artwork and layout and the proof readers will need some reward even if it is only a free copy of the book (which I will still have to pay for and pay shipping). Sure costs could be kept down by sticking it through LuLu but only Steve Haresign could deliver the kind of pure quality that the content deserves. By the time it's out and all the copies have been sold the return on effort will be measured in pennies per hour and whilst it is shaping up to be a great book it is no Black Project. I can only imagine the hours, months, years, toil and love that have gone into this book

Unfortunately my finances have had a bit of a nose dive lately so the Black Project will probably be out of my reach unless they pick up before it sells out. But as with most of Steve's work this really is a thing of beauty based on the pictures and knowing the quality of Steve's work I'm sure the pictures don't do the real thing justice. Everything I have purchased of Looch's has been solid, practical and workable and so I have absolute confidence in the quality of the material inside. If I'm lucky enough to get my hands on one before they have all gone I have no doubt that I will use a lot of material from the book. In the short term hopefully Looch will let me hug a copy at the launch event next week.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Charge whatever the market will bear - and know your target market

The people who can't afford it might not be the target group

There are those I see here on the Café shelling out similar for less

Once someone buys it guess you can determine its worth

I have berglas m&m I bought when it came out fir $200 and I'll never sell it unless under fire circumstances

Best of luck looch - I'm sure the material is solid!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think that just because some hobbyists may not be able to afford means absolutely nothing. If you cant afford it right now, save up if you want it.

Looch should charge what he feels it is worth. People should have zero say in price. This isn't Bandcamp.

There's stuff out there I cant afford or find - I don't go on about it. I find it weird to be honest when others do.
I've asked to be banned
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1148 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Agreed.

It sucks that's it out of mosts' price ranges but why does that matter? No one has a right to this material.

This is from a big fan who is trying to convince myself every day to buy this. Best of luck looch.
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
919 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
I'm going to try my hardest to save up and sell what I can to get this.. I really hope it doesn't sell out by the time I get it!

I know I would get so much useful information out of it. Especially since I'm looking to enter the more professional side of mentalism..
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2015, DynaMix wrote:
Agreed.

It sucks that's it out of mosts' price ranges but why does that matter? No one has a right to this material.

This is from a big fan who is trying to convince myself every day to buy this. Best of luck looch.


Agreed...no one does have the RIGHT to his material, but everyone has a right to state his or her opinion about the cost of an item. The value of something is a personal issue. Looch can charge whatever he likes for his work...and people can complain too Smile And just because someone complains or does not agree with the price of an item, does not necessarily mean that the item is out of his or her price range, it might simply mean that they do not agree that the material is worth the asking price.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1048 Posts

Profile of sbays
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2015, tmoca wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2015, DynaMix wrote:
Agreed.

It sucks that's it out of mosts' price ranges but why does that matter? No one has a right to this material.

This is from a big fan who is trying to convince myself every day to buy this. Best of luck looch.


Agreed...no one does have the RIGHT to his material, but everyone has a right to state his or her opinion about the cost of an item. The value of something is a personal issue. Looch can charge whatever he likes for his work...and people can complain too Smile And just because someone complains or does not agree with the price of an item, does not necessarily mean that the item is out of his or her price range, it might simply mean that they do not agree that the material is worth the asking price.


Exactly right. It always gives me a chortle when some retorts with the generic "you can't afford it" bit. I can. That's not the point. I just won't spend 500 for a book. That's all. It doesn't mean I have a right to the info. If I wanted it, I'd buy it. But I am not supporting this trend. If he sells them all then good for him.

That is all.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
919 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
I have no issue with the high price trend, I have an issue with the limited trend..

If you really want to help other mentalists/magicians and are providing all of this wonderful useful info to help push a hobbyist to a pro (or whatever the case may be), then why make it high priced AND limited.

That means by the time I save up for it, it may be gone. And anyone who hears about it later on won't be able to obtain this knowledge. That just really upsets me.. I'll never release anything limited because of this reason.
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
437 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
Ever since I was introduced to Looch on Penguin,I became a fan instantly. My order is in. I'm looking forward to the books!

-Alex
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1864 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2015, TheDirectionalist wrote: ... why make it high priced AND limited?


I have to agree. By making the release of something limited, future would-be performers are deprived of access to the information contained therein. They will be forced to track down available copies, which, because they are limited, will be even more expensive than the original high price.

You know that there will be a number of people who will buy a copy or two or three or more, not for the information, but just to be able to sell them in the future for what will no doubt be a very high price indeed, all because it is a limited run.
Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
422 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
Just to add a little factoid: I think it was around 1918 give or take - I don't have the book in front of me at the moment- Dunninger released his "Hundred Dollar Manuscript". That's in the range of $1,600 today.
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore
International Artists Consultant Uri Geller's Phenomenon TV Series;
PEA Bob Haines Memorial Award;
Dunninger Show Recreation;
Author of Dunninger Knows and Dunninger's Brain Busters

JosephAtmore.com
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1148 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2015, tmoca wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2015, DynaMix wrote:
Agreed.

It sucks that's it out of mosts' price ranges but why does that matter? No one has a right to this material.

This is from a big fan who is trying to convince myself every day to buy this. Best of luck looch.


Agreed...no one does have the RIGHT to his material, but everyone has a right to state his or her opinion about the cost of an item. The value of something is a personal issue. Looch can charge whatever he likes for his work...and people can complain too Smile And just because someone complains or does not agree with the price of an item, does not necessarily mean that the item is out of his or her price range, it might simply mean that they do not agree that the material is worth the asking price.


Oh yeah no doubt. I definitely agree with your point.

I was just pointing out that unfortunately there's not much we can do about it - and some people may feel that we are entitled to the same chance or ability to access the same material. Unfortunately it just doesn't work that way. I say this as someone who also saved up for this but probably won't end up buying it since it was priced much higher than I expected.
Kuzushi
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Kuzushi
What everyone needs to realize is that when an author limits the number of books for sale, he is limiting what he can make on the book long term. The price of exclusivity IS higher prices. A magician or mentalist who sells his book indefinitely has the chance to sell hundreds, if not thousands, of copies for years to come. A limited edition entails a fixed number of sales with a HARD CAP on the amount of money that can be made. Sure best selling authors in other fields -- like Stephen King etc. --- can sell their works for significantly cheaper. They make their large returns from sheer volume of sales. However, if such authors were to spend years writing a book and were to only release a few hundred copies, you'd better believe that the price for their work would be significantly higher. I'm sure Looch will have no problem selling all of his copies of The Black Project. In fact, I am sure demand will exceed supply. The price is fair based on this demand and quite frankley it helps seperate the wheat from the chaff.
Ulrich
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Ulrich
I find it very amusing to watch people talking about the same thing on and on.

If you want the book, buy it, if you don't want it or you find the price too high, don't buy it.

Sometimes I don't understand Café.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2015, Ulrich wrote:
I find it very amusing to watch people talking about the same thing on and on.

If you want the book, buy it, if you don't want it or you find the price too high, don't buy it.

Sometimes I don't understand Café.


There would be no Café, it there wasn't discussion of things like this. People agree and disagree. That is main part of all forums based around any topic. Quite frankly, I don't understand why people don't get that and complain about the very essence/function of a forum.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looch - The Black Project (183 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..27~28~29 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL