The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Scryer Project (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
I have finally received The Scryer Project and watch both the DVD, how to say, the prodcut is not bad but off course with all such proclaims I would have expected much much more and I have had a delusion for my high expectations.

The DVD is not bad as I have said but for me it is overpriced for what it is... lots props needed, it seem at a certain point that it is a sort of good way to present some props, and one of the things that I was interested more was not really explained and it is connected to a pre-show work!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18325 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I would disagree with "lots of props", one costs around £10, the other used with business cards cost a couple of quid for a pack of ten...i ordered both last night..

Maybe I forgot something though?!
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2014, IAIN wrote:
I would disagree with "lots of props", one costs around £10, the other used with business cards cost a couple of quid for a pack of ten...i ordered both last night..

Maybe I forgot something though?!


With that you have just confirmed that you need a lot of props... I didn't say that these things are expensive or cheap, but only that you need to buy other things to perform what is shown in the DVDs.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18325 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Blimey...

For me, "lots of props" would mean maybe four or five different things to use...
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Exactly, what you do not have to buy, you have to build... so have you count them?
Then consider also the contest: how much effects are shown in the DVDs and how many of them require something to be performed?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18325 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You have your opinion, I have mine..if I said any more, well..its too much energy for something that is going to devolve into semantics at best...

Good luck to you...
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2014, IAIN wrote:
You have your opinion, I have mine..if I said any more, well..its too much energy for something that is going to devolve into semantics at best...

Good luck to you...


On that point I completely agree with you!

Good luck to you...
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9572 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Are there any good stage effects in this DVD set?
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Not for stage, one on one or close-up.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18325 Posts

Profile of IAIN
All of the ones Paul demo's were for five people around a big table...
Mental_Mike
View Profile
Special user
Canada
724 Posts

Profile of Mental_Mike
Paul also did "Last one standing" on stage.
I thought the set was pretty great so far. I've watched all presentations and haven't gone through the explanations yet. I really liked (and will probably use) the presentations for the first two effects performed by Andrew Gerard.
The effects on the second disc with Paul Romhany were hit and miss with me. The spinner effect was pretty good and may be something I'd do. Scryer's Svengali is a great trick but I'm pretty sure I've seen the same effect elsewhere before...
The cupids arrow effect was really great! I've seen similar ideas and I'm sure you can come up with your own ideas.
I was also happy to see Richard Websters Psychometry A-Z, since I'm interested in doing a bit of readings...

Nice production with some great presentation for somewhat basic methods. It is a little overpriced for what you get. A few more effects would have been great for the $99.95 price tag, but overall I am happy with this set and will keep it around.
Joaquin
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
I am disappointed with this DVD set. They basically only explained why they performed the effects in a certain way and/or talked about their presentation . Nothing is mentioned about the method. You pretty much need to own the books to learn each complete effect.

If you do not have any of Scryer books then I do not recommend buying this DVD. All you are getting is a DVD with performances and the explanation of their performance.

I understand that presentation is the most important part of an effect but I believe that I am also paying for the method so I can learn the whole package and then adjust it to my own style.

It is like buying a car with no engine. Yea nice color and body style but you need to buy the motor so you can run it
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9572 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Really, no methods in the DVD? This is surprising. So you're really just paying to see their performance and thoughts?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18325 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Um...mine had explanations...everything was explained as far as I remember...apart from AG's own personal p**-s*** method...
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2015, Joaquin wrote:
I am disappointed with this DVD set. They basically only explained why they performed the effects in a certain way and/or talked about their presentation . Nothing is mentioned about the method. You pretty much need to own the books to learn each complete effect.

If you do not have any of Scryer books then I do not recommend buying this DVD. All you are getting is a DVD with performances and the explanation of their performance.

I understand that presentation is the most important part of an effect but I believe that I am also paying for the method so I can learn the whole package and then adjust it to my own style.

It is like buying a car with no engine. Yea nice color and body style but you need to buy the motor so you can run it


I'm not sure where this came from. All effects save one (listed as a bonus performance only piece) were explained.

The only effect that might fall into that category was the very first one by Andrew, but it was covered again by Paul and explained using the same materials Andrew used, as well as playing cards to ensure the method was communicated.

Tony
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1096 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2015, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2015, Joaquin wrote:
I am disappointed with this DVD set. They basically only explained why they performed the effects in a certain way and/or talked about their presentation . Nothing is mentioned about the method. You pretty much need to own the books to learn each complete effect.

If you do not have any of Scryer books then I do not recommend buying this DVD. All you are getting is a DVD with performances and the explanation of their performance.

I understand that presentation is the most important part of an effect but I believe that I am also paying for the method so I can learn the whole package and then adjust it to my own style.

It is like buying a car with no engine. Yea nice color and body style but you need to buy the motor so you can run it


I'm not sure where this came from. All effects save one (listed as a bonus performance only piece) were explained.

The only effect that might fall into that category was the very first one by Andrew, but it was covered again by Paul and explained using the same materials Andrew used, as well as playing cards to ensure the method was communicated.

Tony


That's not quite true. The version of out of the world taught is not the one performed and would not work with all the of the news articles the same as suggested on the dvd. Also the cremation effect as performed contained a name reveal that was not even mentioned in the "explanation". I too was very dissapointed in the product. I wasn't going to buy it based on the high price and the lukewarm reviews here - but my local magic store had it and I implulse bought it hoping I would at least learn something about this all so important presentation element of mentalism. Well I fell asleep during the first dvd. Even with most of the presentation cut out of the OOTW it was painful to watch "read the article - feel the emotions" pause while she reads the article. Ok now read another one - pause - yawn - etc. I watched the second dvd the next night and maybe this kind of living room show passes for entertainment in Canada - but I haven't been to any parties in the states where this would have flown. If this is what is meant by its all about presentation and simple methods I'm going back to cards. I would have rated this 10% for a normal priced set of dvds. With the high price I give it -10%.
Lakewood, Ohio
Joaquin
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
The title of the DVD should be

" Tips on how we perform and present some of Scryer Effects". Note: You must own the books before you watch this DVD.

Sorry but for me was a bad purchase
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
This is far from my favorite purchase, but lets be fair and honest. All the effects except the one labled as a demo were explained. But it is true that one element that Andrew added to Cremation (the revelation of a name) was not taught (he did talk around his method, so it was pretty easy to put it together). This element was an addition that Andrew added to the routine. The Scryer portion of the routine was taught.

Maybe you fell asleep during the explanations and walk through of OOTW, but all 3 explanations work with the news articles. In addition to Andrew using them, Paul reexplained what they were and ran through the process with them in hand before he moved onto the cards

In Cremation, Andrew did say that he used his own method personal method for the name and was not going to reveal that, but said the literature is full of methods for that. I agree that they should have included s method for completness, but what he said is very true. (But if you listened to what Andrew said, he essentially gave away how he did this...)

I enjoyed the Andrew portions of the set, they were one on one, and more personal. I especially liked the touches he added and some of the points he made. His discussion (essentially with himself) on designing and planning the material was a highlight of the set for me.

I also enjoyed Richard's portion.

As for the effect selection, only one struck my fancy, the first one., by Andrew. His second one was very good as well, but came across to me as a mixture of mentallism and magic. I've used the effect it is based on for bizarre performances, but never in psychic or mentalism work. But the tip he gives on this is very good and is something I will add to my own work on the effect.

I did not care for the material Paul presented, but that may be because of the way it was filmed, one camera showed what I consider a balanced and proportional image, the other created visual distortions making people and items closer to the camera appear larger than they should as well as warped (it was like the second camera was a pc/web camera). Added to this the constant cutting between cameras and the low volume, I was taken out of the performance and felt like a outsider watching Party games taking place in a fish tank. I will have to re watch this material and see of I can rework it to something more my style. The principles of the effects were all very sound

The final effect of Paul's section is a stage effect. I've done versions of this as a chair test, table work, and over the phone, so I know it is solid, flexible and based on a very solid principle.

Tony
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
Did Andrew Gerard teach the steps to The Process clearly on this set?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
He discussed some of it, but it is not a replacement for his Process DVD.
But he did go into detail of his "process" for developing the routines he performed and taught on the DVD.

Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Scryer Project (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL