The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Scryer Project (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
916 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Just as a note - AG is performing the effects the way HE INTERPRETED them;
in many ways NONE of us should want to do it the way he does it. We should watch his performance and take from it that which resonates inside us and make it our own (the presentations). It's not a case of right or wrong; if you don't like bringing up dead relatives in a routine; then learn from the performance on the DVD and move it in a positive direction for your performances.

"The Scryer Project" effects by Neil Scryer interpreted by a few other performers.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18324 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2015, Sean Giles wrote:
Andrew, thanks for taking the time... Nothing wrong with invoking emotion. I do think it's wrong to introduce dead relatives for a magic trick though. My daughter just lost her mother and the thought that a magician might be crass enough to use that information to bring out emotion in a magic trick is beyond me.

Tony, respectfully I think the fact that they were actors is irrelevant. It's a teaching video and the people that buy it won't be performing for actors.

mate - sorry you've had that to deal with...

i don't think though, that anyone would want to do what you're suggesting though...it would always be done clearly and with the person's permission and definitely not sprung on them...(especially as the technique would involve explaining it a little0..
i get that you don't like it - just that its not quite as you are implying in my opinion...
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Thanks for your comment Iain,

We all see things differently, most likely through the prism of our own experience, no matter how much we try to be objective. It's just my opinion and how I see it. Completely meaningless to the rest of the world but important to me. Mostly... Smile

I loath being judgemental. But sometimes I am.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18324 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Of course Sean, and I agree with you IF the person performing just launched into it with someone, and didn't tell them what the piece was about...but, much like the derren stage thing, with the name on the disc in the wool and box, it was done with permission...

But that is only how I see it, personally...i totally get your view too...it could be swung round to a guardian angel style thing, not my cup of tea, but I could see it working for others...
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
959 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Sean I understand your perspective and respect it.

In mentalism there is a very common plot/test of "living or dead" and I think in the framing and with the spectators permission and compliance it has a place in the performance.

Again, I was not there as a magician, doing a trick. I was performing this routine as a mentalist/Psychic would, nothing to do with magic.

I did go out of my way to mention in the explanation that the ethics of performing this way is an entirely different topic, and something everyone will have to decide for themselves....I still have not seen the dvd myself, but hopefully a copy is on its way to me so I can see the rest of the content.

good thoughts to all,

AG
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Scryer Project (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL