The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
controlled
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of controlled
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a cups and balls routine that I could learn for shows or even recommend a few tricks to learn. Thanks.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Michael Ammar's Complete Cups and Balls is a great place to start. Good investment!
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
What are people's thoughts on cups and balls for children's shows? Can they get into it? What routine ideas or "takes" on it would make this classic more accessible to the little ones. Does anyone do it at their kids' shows?

I love doing my cups and balls, and would like to feel I could do this for the kids. But I don't want the syndrome where I'm doing what I like instead of what they like.

Thanks.

Jim in Los Angeles
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,

Personaly I would not bother. Most cups and balls routines (like sponge ball routines) go on way too long for adults, never mind kids.

If you really want to, though. keep it short and hit them with the climax.

Phillip
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Aged about twelve, I saw Dick Richard's from Cardiff perform at Butlin's in Ireland (a holiday camp).

He was the children's entertainer and on the Friday night he did a stage show in the Playhouse Theatre, seating appx 800.

As part of his show he did cups and balls. It must have lasted ten minutes. The balls changed colour, they grew and became multi-coloured. It was amazing. I heard later that he had won the manipulation prize at a British ring convention with this effect.

He also did the most amazing ball vanish I have ever seen. He just held it at his fingertips and it vanished. No cover. Repeatedly.

However if you are performing at a child's party I would agree with Phillip. The routine (with business) does not have to be short but what happens to the balls should be kept to a minimum.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I don't use cups and balls for kids shows, but I often use a sponge ball routine.

Phillip makes a good point, too. Don't let the routine drag. A sponge ball routine is something that impresses the parents and the kids. That is something you need to do at every kid show. Remember, keep it fast and fun!

Smile
Daniel Faith
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
There is a good routine for kids called Rub-A-Dub and was posted in the Geni Magazine some time ago. It is a rhyme patter which matches the movements. Use the little, coloured plastic cups and pom-poms. I'm learning the routine, so I can give any info re: the effect as of yet.

I agree, the routine needs to be short and sweet but packed with magic.

Aldo Columbini has a routine that uses three different coloured balls that pass through cups (first one ball passes through, then 2, then 3 all at the same time). The balls travel from your pocket, vanish completely and then a load is revealed. It is rather quick, colourful and magical. You can find it on one of his videos. I'm not near my magic stuff, so I can tell you the name.

cheers,

John
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Guardian,

About your comment about sponge ball routines being a must at kids shows. I must admit I've never done sponge balls. But it's basically billiard balls right? Could I substitute rubber golf balls instead? What's the difference between the two effects?

Thanks.

Jim in LA
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
"It is a rhyme patter which matches the movements. Use the little, coloured plastic cups and pom-poms"

OH BOY!

If you where to use rhyming patter for kids over 5 here in the UK you stand the chance of getting linched! Deservedly so in my opinion. Could it not be coverted into a rap?
that would likely go down a little better.

Phillip
Smile Smile Smile Smile
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
"OH BOY!
If you where to use rhyming patter for kids over 5 here in the UK you stand the chance of getting linched! Deservedly so in my opinion. Could it not be coverted into a RAP?"

Absolutely. Rhyme is really rap in my mind, so if you present with an upbeat tempo, I'm sure all will go over well.

Also, age is a factor. In the routine, the magic happens on the key words that rhyme.

Some of the patter is as follows:

"Rub a dub dub, 3 men in a tub,
went sailing out to sea,
the second in tub 2,
the third in tub number 3.

"Tub #2 was old,
but the captain was bold
and rain to go.

"He jumped on the deck,
fell through the wreck,
and ended up down here below."
___

Add a few hand actions and a couple of "yo's" and "homey" words and all will be fine in the rap world.

cheers,

john
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Does anyone know anything about producing a small glass filled with liquid as the final production? Is it a special glass? If so, where it can be gotten. Thanks.

Jim
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Do your cups and balls trick, I use it and have for years, and I have never had another than excited reaction to it. It's one trick that you can let them examine. They love it.

Steve
zzz

Sponge balls aren't the same as billiard balls, but they are a great trick.

Definitely get a set and a good book/video to go with them. The first time you see a kid's face when you put one sponge ball in his hand and two spongeballs are there when he opens it, all the practice will be worth it.

Steve
zzz
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
I do a cups and balls routine with small baseballs. I use a miniature bat for a wand and even a miniature glove when the child pitches the invisible balls to me.

The routine ends with a production of larger baseballs and my wand unravelled turns into a Bluejays banner. I actually sing Take me out to the ball game as I produce the giant baseballs. A routine with music, colour, audience involvement, a minimum of moves will work with any audience.

Darryl the Wizard Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Phillip Jones says, of rhyming patter for the cups and balls: "Could it not be coverted into a RAP?"

Probably, but there are a couple of points to remember.

Some time back, Greek fishermen's caps were all the rage. And then someone pointed out that there were two things necessary to wear one:

1: You had to be Greek; and 2: you had to be a fisherman.

Same with rap. If you are going to do rap patter (at least, on this side of the pond), you had better be:

1: Under 25 years old; and 2: black (yeah, yeah, I know Eminem gets away with it, but Tiger Woods plays golf, too!).

If you're 50 and white, it just isn't going to fly!

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com

Smile
treysdaddy
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of treysdaddy
I do a quick straightforward cups and balls routine where the balls appear one at a time under a cup until all three have gone under the cup. I then say it sometimes is confusing to watch the three cups and three balls, so we'll use one cup and one ball. I then go into a simple chop cup routine where the ball goes in my pocket and still appears under the cup. I put the ball in my pocket again and make a large lemon appear under the cup. It is probably only 2 minutes, but is fun and magical when the lemon appears.

Bill
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I have twin 4 year olds. They are constantly requesting that I do the cups & Balls for them. I do it for older kids and adults as well. For children, I use colorful plastic cups. The children get to pick the cups that will do the magic and I always congratulate them for picking correctly so that the magic could happen. I pretty much do the Mark Wilson routine, dressed up a touch. It is short and fun.

I also learned a combo cup routine which is more complex, but the kids don't like it as much (In fact the adults don't either now that I think about it).

The Cups & Balls have entertained people of all ages for centuries. I suspect you can get some good reactions out of them even today.

Enjoy!!

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Daryl, your routine sounds like a very good one for kids.

For the most part, though, I'd steer clear of cups and balls for kids because of what Phillip said and also because the kids will scream "I know that one!" I'd say that almost ALL magic sets include a cups and balls set. Even if they don't know how YOUR routine works, they'll continue to shout and proclaim their vast knowledge. Smile
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Cups & Balls are fine for kids as long as you don't make the trick "drone on and on". Remember the C&B are included in almost every kids magic set sold. Thus
they have all been exposed to the "gallup" move - although most won't remember, but large loads, and balls moving from cup to cup - they'll love it.

I'd do something simple like the routine from the Wilson Course.

I have also had very good response from kids doing a Benson Bowl type routine as well as a short - very short- Chop Cup.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
yankay37
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
176 Posts

Profile of yankay37
Quote:
On 2002-10-18 04:29, JamesinLA wrote:
What are people's thoughts on cups and balls for children's shows? Can they get into it? What routine ideas or "takes" on it would make this classic more accessible to the little ones.

I perform cups & balls at kids shows. I introduce it as a very small trick and ask them to come up very close. Then I tell then to put fingers on the cups and even slow down the routines. It works great.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
I do Rub-a-dub-dub, Bill Malone's version, for all ages, and they freakin' love it! It's all in your performance!

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL