We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help needed with book choice (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Raymagic11
View Profile
New user
Holland
63 Posts

Profile of Raymagic11
Hello,

Its Christmas time and I am trying to decide on a book to buy. I have these three on my short list:

- Unreal, bruce bernstein
- Bairn by Ken Dyne
- The Magic Way by Juan Tamariz
- Annotated magic of Slydini
- The approach by Jamie d. grant

I mainly perform close-up, but I also want to focus a bit more on mentalism and want to incorporate some mental effects into my close-up set.
What I'd prefer is a book that contains a lot of effects, encourages me to practice and think about my magic, and contains practical material
(ie usable around close-up/strolling tables). Also, I want to get more experience doing magic, as I still have relatively little effects mastered combined with limited
performance experience. Considering this, could any one maybe give me a recommendation of which of these three is the best?
Of course other book suggestion would be very welcome.

I already own and have read:

- Amateur magicians handbook
- Tarbell vol 1 & 2
- Card College 1&2
- Books of Wonder
- 13 steps, practical mental effects
- Magic of Michael Ammar
- strong magic

Thanks for any help in pointing me in the right direction! Smile
"A magician has the skill to conceal the skill"
- Paul Wilson
"Magic is driven by emotion and conflict"
- Tommy Wonder
Shadowstalker
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Shadowstalker
I would recommend getting all the volumes of Card C0llege if possible.
Smile

When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable.
Teller
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8466 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Stay away from any Harry Lorayne books!!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1419 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2014, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Stay away from any Harry Lorayne books!!!

Harry, you always make me laugh with his quote. I personally love your material. I started many years ago with "Close up Card Magic" and I've never looked back. All the best to you during this seasnon.

Rau
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1419 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
That should be Ray. My fingers haven't caught up to my brain yet.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1314 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Maximum Entertainment-Ken Weber

This should be required reading for EVERY magician/entertainer!

Mark
Pepsi Twist
View Profile
New user
Bexhill UK
69 Posts

Profile of Pepsi Twist
I assume you know, but The Approach doesn't contain any tricks. It's purely about becoming a professional magician, and is very good for that. I'm afraid Unreal is the only other one I have on your list, I'm reading it now in fact! It sure does have a LOT of stuff packed in it, I feel like I've read more than a books worth and I'm only halfway through. And it's pretty much all close up stuff (though can be adapted easily of course). So sorry I can't help you with the others, but Unreal is very good, especially for the price.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6749 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2014, Raymagic11 wrote:
I mainly perform close-up, but I also want to focus a bit more on mentalism and want to incorporate some mental effects into my close-up set.
What I'd prefer is a book that contains a lot of effects, encourages me to practice and think about my magic, and contains practical material...

I can't think of a better start than Corinda's Thirteen Steps to Mentalism. Then, the first volume of THE ARTFUL MENTALISM OF BOB CASSIDY has already been acclaimed as one of the best books on mentalism ever written, and in the follow-up second volume, Bob Cassidy has collected ten more of his e-books and created yet another must-have masterclass in mentalism!

Ray, the chapter Fundamentals is a most valuable chapter. I have the original 88-page eBook. Astounding info! To start you off, you should get all the info you need here:

http://www.lybrary.com/the-thirtynine-st......-10.html

Hope this helps! Smile

Doug
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
I don't have it but I would recomend good ol Juan! just because I love his style, and He has a way with engaging his audience that everyone should learn.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8466 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
And to you, Ray!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
The only book on your wish list that I have read is The Magic Way. I'd highly recommend it. There aren't a lot of effects, but the deconstruction of the routines and the explanations of the psychology behond the structure is priceless.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
722 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Unreal is awesome and the routine "Eat at Joe's" is a reputation maker and perfect for promo pics.
GreenKnight33
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of GreenKnight33
I would also second the advice or Remillard in terms of JUST the list you have in the OP. I got the Magic Way earlier at Thanksgiving time. I've gone through it once and knew it would be a book I'd need to go through many more times. If you're into the Oil and Water routine, he goes through several variations, including his great one where the change happens in the spectator's own hands.

GreenKnight
civins
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
114 Posts

Profile of civins
Get 'the magic way ' .
Anything by Tamariz is genius.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
You would be well served by going with Magic Way. By far this would be the best choice.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Arabian tricker
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Arabian tricker
My vote go to - The approach by Jamie d. grant as you have enough books for learning tricks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help needed with book choice (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL