The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Your favorite and best purchases over the last ten years (47 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Best Stage Trick; Custom "teleportation device" by Nick Wenger.

Close Up: Tom Bartlett's "Deacon Dan" Shells

Book: Frank Garcia's "All in a Nutshell"
guyjr
View Profile
New user
Don't mind me and my
57 Posts

Profile of guyjr
Mikame's Sucker Block Box. I had gotten a sucker block box when I was a wee lad (my first "real" magic trick), and felt totally let down in how it worked. The Mikame one, on the other hand, absolutely blew me away in the genius way he makes the actual cube disappear as it goes into the box, so it's definitely on my top ten all-time favorite list.
ruzifa
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of ruzifa
I/O by Promystic, Greg Wilson's Freakey, Messado Rings, Telefoto, iForce, Andy Nyman's The Code... John LeClair's IT Hook Up... And recently... Adam Wilber's Pyro... I mean... This innovative take on flash paper and cotton is a gem... The basic effect where you put your hand above a candle or lighter then shoots a fireball... Feels like a Marvel Magician in itself... I mean heck... Being a Magician makes me feel like a superhero... Reading minds, telekinesis... Illusion and deception... Smile
scenic effects
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin - USA
77 Posts

Profile of scenic effects
Inferno - Josh Jay
Invisible Paint & Bigger Wands Creative Magic
Twisted Sisters - John Bannon
Tenyo Elite Fortune Sticks
seanksutton
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of seanksutton
Not in any order:
1.) Invisible Deck
2.) Messado Rings
3.) Mesika Elastic Thread for Loops
4.) ACE by Richard Sanders
5.) Strong Magic
Sh9bum9
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Sh9bum9
Effects I'm still doing over the years:
Professor's Nightmare
2 ones to a two dollar bill. Always there and ready to do in your wallet
Wonderland Bill. Another easy to carry effect.
Cinema Verite
Decisions determine destiny. Thomas S. Monson
R. Steiner
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of R. Steiner
Cuss Cards from Alchemy Moon
Hedge Tarote from Alchemy Moon
Doppleganger from Prof BC (sold from Lebanon Circle in the UK)
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Given I'm a hobbyist who hadn't even being magic for ten years (not close) this is quite tricky. But in all honestly the following have really helped me (though I'm not sure everyone would benefit as I have):

Gerry Griffin's Complete Card Course and some cards (Phoenix)
Science Friction (I know, I know ...)
Sander's Turbostick
The Magic Café website

I'm sure I'll add more to the list when I've mastered all the stuff I want to, but this is the 'gold' for me at this time.
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Imagination Coins
Cassidy Wallet
Sansmind Prospect
Ring Flight Revolution
Swami Writer
Smokey Magic 2
Hondo88
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Hondo88
Industrial Revelation, W.O.W, and a fire wallet.
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
In no particular order:

Nest of Wallets by Nick Einhorn.

Coinvexed Third Generation by David Penn.

Super Slim Mullica Wallet.

Pocket Space Plus.

Titanus Finger.

Art of Astonishment by Paul Harris.

Isabella Star by Peter Turner.

On the Loose by Bill Malone.

Invisible Deck.

So many more I cant think but will come to me at 1am when I need to get to my scratcher.

Greig Smile
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
Trinity System by Subdivided Studios.
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Mystery box and Deep Astonishment........oh and any book by Simon Aronson. I just love Fate, particularly now it is slightly 'modded' for a normal deck use.
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
Doc,

I can't start naming things I love or else the list may never end, and worse yet, I'll leave something off and feel bad about it later. What I will do is tell you two things (really three) that I've purchased and got a surprisingly amount of milage out of. So much that I would consider them at the top of the list of "best purchases" because I really got my money's worth.

The first (and second) is Mr. Dean Dill's Revelation. I sure miss the man already, what a loss. If you've seen this effect it is setup in a three ringed binder. Knock your socks off kind of effect. The binder is very bland when you get it and he suggests that you add some tabs like you would do if it were a real notebook and stick some papers in there and so forth. What I did was make a binder with a bunch of parapsycology kind of stuff in it. Downloaded articles and study material. Then I got Depicting Thoughts from Para Labs ( got mine from Tannen's but I don't see it there anymore). So I do a few effects using the Para Lab cards and that usually goes over real big then end with Revelation which hits them between the eyes. You have to keep the second part clean for it to work best. Put all the cards away and go to a clean sheet of paper in the notebook and make sure you have that envelope in plain sight the whole time. Anyway both of them have been good to me, but combined it has possibly been my best purchase. The notebook is getting beat up and used which makes it even better.

The second thing (or third if you're keeping count) is Mr. Jamie D. Grant's Revelation. Hey I just realized they have the same name! What are the chances of that? It is totally different. Used in a completely different situation. Where the first is long, could be formal, and an effect which builds for some time, Mr. Grant's Revelation is more of a walk around pocket thing. I hate to call it a thing. It's not a prop or anything like that. It's something that makes people smile and scratch their heads. People always want to snatch it out of your hand, which I encourage you to let them. Actually I dump it into their hand, but other people grab at it. I wish I could describe it better because it deserves it. It's not something you will make your reputation on but the topic is best purchases and when I think about if I my money was well spent, it sure was. That thing doesn't owe me anything. It is not something that will live it's life in a drawer if you recognize it's potential. By the way I like using a knife with it instead of dropping a coin through it. But that's a preference thing.

Already long winded, so I'll stop here. Sorry about leaving off two dozen well deserved tricks.

Respectfully,

Phil
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I haven't done this hobby more than 10 years but here is my list:

Industrial Revelation
Showdown Wallet
World's Greatest Magician - Card To Wallet
World's Greatest Magician - Ambitious Card
Strange Traveler

Card Dodgery book by J.K. Hartman

Brainstorm DVD Set by Guastaferro
Magic comes through perception. -HS
harriss11
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of harriss11
Personally it has to be in no particular order:

Invisible deck
In a flash
Spreadwave 2.0
The Raven
Industrial Revelation
The Informant
Twilight Angels
Tool
Tarantula
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
You know, I'm going to break the rules just a bit and list one of my all-time favorites that I purchased when I was a kid.

The Magic Coin Box (vanished coin appears inside 2 banded boxes and a banded felt bag). Sorry for the deviation, but I got more mileage out of that when I was younger than any other effect. It was the very first trick I thought of when I saw the topic title Smile

Thank you, Adams!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
A felt bag. That WAS a long time ago. When I demonstrated in a magic shop it was plastic bag that did not work very well at all.

I do remember when I was a kid and my sister got that trick at Disney World it had a felt bag.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Reading this thread again I have to add a classic that I forgot about.

Snowstorm in China.

I would close all my kid shows with this. The gasps I get, along with the excited giggling and kids trying to catch the "snow" when the snow starts falling on them, make it seem like I'm doing real magic.

Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2015, med_doc7 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2015, daffydoug wrote:
Since I posted, several more have come into my mind...

Feel free to share those as well if you'd like. I think it is useful for everyone.

How is it useful?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Your favorite and best purchases over the last ten years (47 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL