We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo Book Update/End of December 2014 (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1497 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2015, Wizard of Oz wrote:
It would affect the book's worth though if you wanted to resell it (but reselling it WOULD be sacrilegious)!

Exactly right.

So. I had this conversation with myself;

Ed, You can't mark or highlight THE BOOK. It's THE BOOK for goodness sake!
It would kill the resale value.
Sure it would, but why do I care, I will never sell it.
Well It's THE Deluxe Version of THE BOOK, it's just not done!!
Yeah but, I'm gonna see lot's of stuff in there I'm gonna wanna remember.
Well don't mark it up. That would be...... unholy,
Just dog ear any pages you need to remember.
Whoa, what a great idea Ed, you're a pretty smart fella. Thanks Smile
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Ed, I am pretty sure you can afford a copy of the regular edition on top of the deluxe you are getting. The deluxe edition is way too special to mark up. Just to provide you context, I mark up all of my magic books in pencil. I won't be marking up my deluxe copy.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Once you see the books I don't think you'll want to write on the pages.

Further update: assuming all goes as planned, the books will go on the boat out of China on Sept.29, which means they'll arrive in port about Oct.29, and then go to the fulfillment warehouse in Michigan within a week or two after that. These delays are driving me crazy. It's like I have a 20 pound baby in my womb that won't drop out!

If I wrote earlier that I hoped to have some copies of the new tricks to sell at the Genii convention, that isn't happening. Tenyo wouldn't let me buy more than a few copies of the new tricks.
johnsigna
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of johnsigna
Dog earring will also affect your resale value.

May I suggest Post-It notes?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5545 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2015, johnsigna wrote:
Dog earring will also affect your resale value.

May I suggest Post-It notes?

The voice of reason.

The question that led to this quote is actually a great query to ponder. Here we have an incredible limited edition book that took years to research and create. It is of course a collectible, and should be treated with respect and a bit of reverence. But...it is also an fantastic tool for the Tenyo enthusiast and collector, much like the Dr. Robert Albo books are to vintage magic prop collectors. Those tomes invite the same quandary...do you use them or protect them?

The Tenyo book is destined to be a classic...heck, it already is...but it will probably become the go-to book for Tenyo aficionados. So, I'll ask the question (and I have a feeling the answer is "no" due to supply and demand), Richard, is there a chance you may offer this publication in a more affordable form, e.g. paperback or PDF, so it can be accessed and used as a tool in addition to a collectible?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

I have no plans to ever make this book available as a pdf.

And do NOT use Post-It Notes: they leave residue on the pages! NEVER EVER use Post-It Notes in a book.
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1497 Posts

Profile of edshern
My original thought on this when I put it out there, while meant to be tongue in cheek, is something that I have actually been thinking about.
Your reading THE BOOK and see a great idea about one of your favorite tricks. Maybe a presentation idea, maybe a handling twist. Anyway, something you want to underline. I actually love to write in the margins of non fiction books. It helps connect me with the material. It helps me remember the things I really love. The more I write/highlight a book, the more I liked it. I remember when in school I used to study this way. It helps me own the material.
Hmmmm, maybe I can take pictures of my favorite parts with my smart phone and save to my Evernote app. Actually, that is a great idea and a great solution. Smile
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
837 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Just make notes in a notebook - with a page number next to whatever you write down.

Simple.

There is never any need to write inside a magic book.
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1497 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2015, Bob_Hummer wrote:
Just make notes in a notebook - with a page number next to whatever you write down.
Simple. There is never any need to write inside a magic book.

Hey Bob, I respectfully disagree. Books are meant to be used, read, studied, poured over, to agree or disagree with & learned from. So I freely highlight and make notes in all my favorite books. Why would a magic book be different than a math book, history book, or a model train book. Even with notes in them, they can still be read by the next owner, and that is only if they actually ever get sold or donated.

I think the important point here is I can see no reason not to not mark up our books!

Signed collectables excluded, but only for the reason of maintaining their resale value & no other Smile
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

Ed, I would agree with you regarding most books. But when you see the Tenyo books, when you hold them and feel the paper, the last thing you're going to want to do is make a mark on them. I think the idea of keeping a small notebook is a good one. Any electronic or digital form of note-keeping is subject to data corruption or loss at some point.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5545 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2015, Richard Kaufman wrote:
And do NOT use Post-It Notes: they leave residue on the pages! NEVER EVER use Post-It Notes in a book.

Thanks Richard. I did not know this.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1575 Posts

Profile of teevtee
While I personally will not be marking mine up I still think it's fine if one chooses to do so. To me it says that the owner has no plans to resell the book and instead used it as a real tool.

It's sort of like watches. Many Rolexes were originally created as tool watches. They were not precious luxury items. Many of those watches were beat upon and used very roughly when new. Today they are pampered by most owners but from time to time I see someone really using it for what it was designed for and I respect that.

It's in my nature to take care of things I care about so again I will not write in mine but I would totally respect those who really get in there and use it.
nukraze
View Profile
New user
NJ
72 Posts

Profile of nukraze
Richard - Any word on if the books shipped out and are on track for the late-October arrival stateside?

Thanks,
Tom
ChasVH
View Profile
Special user
663 Posts

Profile of ChasVH
Richard.... wondering the same thing myself... Not trying to "pile on" just interested in when I might expect to receive my Super Duper Deluxe Version with the best slip cover of all time! (please don't take that the wrong way... I just know how many examples you had to go through and how tough this was was for you to get the right one is all). Just take my question as being one of a very excited customer who can't wait to get my hands on his long awaited purchase.....

Thanks in advance again for all your hard work on this Richard

Charlie
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

Mid November, if things continue on the current track. Slipcases are now made. Everything is packaged up. Should go on the boat next week or the week after! Smile
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5545 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I can't believe I'm saying this, but given the date proximity, I may just take this when I receive it and hand it to my wife to put under the tree for me for Christmas. I know this is sick and disturbing. But I will feel like a kid again...losing sleep every night...just wondering if the magic set I asked Santa for will be there for me Christmas morning. And that will be one heck of a wonderful morning.
ChasVH
View Profile
Special user
663 Posts

Profile of ChasVH
Yep Wizard... should be a very nice Christmas present indeed. Timing should be just about right.

Thanks Richard for the prompt answer!

Charlie
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

You will not be able to resist once the box is in your house.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5545 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Tempt me not Krampus. I shall resist the temptation...

I hope...
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1575 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I may do the same. I tend to do a magic gift to myself every year. This would be perfect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo Book Update/End of December 2014 (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 5.42 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL