We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo Book Update/End of December 2014 (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5542 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I agree with Charlie. No one could have done this project except you in my opinion Richard.
We know you know how to do these things right, so do it right. Your high standards suit me just fine. I'll wait.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Thanks. We're all working to make it as good as possible. Kondo and Shimomura are now proofing the final layout. They said it would take a month, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took a little longer. Lots of work to do on color-balancing all the photos and then editing the DVDs.
MasterOfUnnormal
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of MasterOfUnnormal
Would really love to order, but have to wait and see the lie of the land in June, if there are any 'ordinary' versions still for sale then. Sounds amazing.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

I'm pretty sure we'll still have books by then.
MasterOfUnnormal
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Thanks Richard.
MasterOfUnnormal
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Are you still accepting names for the credits page, and what is now the eta on final standard version, please?
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

As our advertising states, any orders that come in by April 30 will have the purchaser's name on a page at the back of the book.

ETA on the book is still late July.
kwarren
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of kwarren
Richard,

Have the Tenyo people finished the editing process?
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

Here's an update:

Kondo and Shimomura finished editing, and I put all of their corrections in.

I discovered that most of the italics in my text were lost in importing it into InDesign. So, I have had to reread the entire book again from front to back to put those back in. In the process I edited some more of the text and did a bit of rewriting. I finished that two weeks of work last night.

Simultaneously, my wife (who is the Art Director of Genii) has been redoing all the Photoshop work on the photos because we weren't happy with the way the party I originally hired did the work.

We're pretty certain the book will go to the printer at the end of May. Three months to print. Ships the end of August.

Sorry for the delay, but the book will be much better for the extra month we've spent.
ChasVH
View Profile
Special user
663 Posts

Profile of ChasVH
Thanks for the update Richard! Can't wait...

Charlie
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
837 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Hey Richard,

You should do a GENII feature on the issues involved in publishing magic books. It would be fascinating to learn from your experiences over the past 35 years.

Can't wait for the Tenyo book!

Joe Mckay
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

I really don't think people want to read about an endless parade of neurotic magicians and publishing catastrophes!
First book published was in 1977. 38 years. But I can't add, so that might be wrong.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Actually, I think that would be a very interesting feature!
snape
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of snape
Or even better, Richard, why don't you write about it in your autobiography one day.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

No autobiography, thanks. It would be very boring since most of my involves sitting in front of a computer. And before that a typewriter.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
837 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Maybe I am thinking of some other project by you. But I keep thinking I heard you say you had some kind of ingenious way to keep the Tenyo book up-to-date for any future releases.

Just wondering if you ever gave any thought to that issue? I am fine either way - it is just that my memory is usually pretty good. And I am wondering what caused me to think this.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

I don't recall saying or writing anything like that. The final "new" item in the book is the brand new "Plus One" item.

One could issue supplements every year or so with the latest items, but these would just be loose pages to go into a three-ring binder. Don't think I would do that.

When the book comes out at the end of August, the 2016 line of tricks will be released in Japan a week later, but we can't wait for that. I've kept folks waiting long enough!
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
837 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
That is cool.

With all the information in your book - I can use the 2016 line as the point at which I keep tracking exactly which tricks come to market. For awhile I have lost touch a bit as I waited to study your book and learn all the history all in one go.

Thanks for all your efforts!
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1023 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
"One could issue supplements every year or so with the latest items, but these would just be loose pages to go into a three-ring binder. Don't think I would do that."

There could be, maybe, a Volume 2, eventually Smile
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

It would have to be volume 3, since my book is in two volumes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo Book Update/End of December 2014 (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL