The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Two year old shoots mom (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
The Violence Policy Center (a very anti-gun organization), based on the National Crime Victimization Survey conducted by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the most accurate source available, per the VPC.

Then it is clearly not "hundreds of thousands" as you stated earlier. (Assuming that the VPC data is accurate.) The total of your "conservative estimate" would be 65,000.

Compare that to the number of firearms deaths by concealed carry licensees deemed non-justifiable by the same source.

Ummm, 679?

http://www.vpc.org/ccwkillers.htm
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
On the one hand, we have people brainwashing Mom against ever having a gun and on the other hand, we have people brainwashing Mom to be for always having a gun. Then when Mom is shot dead by her two year old child, we have both of them blaming Mom. My advice is to ignore both of them. It seems to me, there are times when Mom might be wise to have gun but going when going out Christmas shopping with the children is not one of them. That is because there is no real need for it then and also when a Mom is out shopping with her children it only natural to keep her children close to her and if she has a gun it is bound to come into reach of the children, as it did in this case. That ex per troll cop is also funny.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
At least a double tragedy was avoided. Rather a Christmas miracle that no one else was injured. And that the toddler was not gunned down by security.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Will probably pleas for mercy on the grounds that he lost his mother, and catch a liberal judge and do no time at all.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
The very simple question confronting the world community is whether measures can be devised to protect the small and the weak from such tactics.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Does anyone know the type of gun involved in this tragic incident? By type I mean make and model. Was it a pistol or revolver, a gun that has a safety and or a hammer, striker fired etc. This information could explain a lot.

If a pistol what condition (hope people know what the work "condition" means in gun nomenclature) was the pistol in? If a revolver was it cocked?

Just a reference to condition:

Condition 4: Chamber empty, empty magazine, hammer down.
Condition 3: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition 1: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition 0: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
The Violence Policy Center (a very anti-gun organization), based on the National Crime Victimization Survey conducted by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the most accurate source available, per the VPC.

Then it is clearly not "hundreds of thousands" as you stated earlier. (Assuming that the VPC data is accurate.) The total of your "conservative estimate" would be 65,000.

Compare that to the number of firearms deaths by concealed carry licensees deemed non-justifiable by the same source.

Ummm, 679?

http://www.vpc.org/ccwkillers.htm

Try to keep up. As Lobo made clear, he wasn't talking about annual numbers. But if you must, now add in numbers of non-justifiable gun homicides committed with legally owned guns regardless of ccw status.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
While it is still not known what type of gun was used in this case, gun experts, like Ball, said many newer firearms no longer feature outward safety measures. Instead, most safety mechanisms are now on the insides of guns.

"If you draw the gun out, you don't have to fumble with the safety before the gun will work for you," Ball explained.

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/2014/12/31......1098373/

Tommy
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2014, tommy wrote:
The very simple question confronting the world community is whether measures can be devised to protect the small and the weak from such tactics.

world community??? it's a domestic matter isn't it??
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2015, acesover wrote:
Does anyone know the type of gun involved in this tragic incident? By type I mean make and model. Was it a pistol or revolver, a gun that has a safety and or a hammer, striker fired etc. This information could explain a lot.

If a pistol what condition (hope people know what the work "condition" means in gun nomenclature) was the pistol in? If a revolver was it cocked?

Condition 1: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition 0: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

Some answers here:

"[D]espite the precautions, somehow the toddler managed to extricate the gun and fire a chambered round. It’s against the law in Idaho to carry a loaded concealed gun."

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/201......cautions

"Rutledge was shopping with four kids, when her two-year-old son reached into her purse, accessed her concealed 9mm Smith and Wesson M+P Shield semi-automatic handgun"

http://www.krem.com/story/news/local/koo......1058855/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
I never said it, it was JFK. Smile

Tommy
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Http://www.kxly.com/news/north-idaho-new......30482132

“She knew what she was doing, she was raised around guns, she had taken classes on gun safety, it wasn't like it was just thrown in her purse,” Quote from article above.

I wonder if the xmas present will be regifted now.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2015, Ian McColl wrote:
Http://www.kxly.com/news/north-idaho-new......30482132

“She knew what she was doing, she was raised around guns, she had taken classes on gun safety, it wasn't like it was just thrown in her purse,” Quote from article above.

I wonder if the xmas present will be regifted now.

I guess the two year old should have taken the same classes.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2015, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2015, acesover wrote:

Some answers here:

"[D]espite the precautions, somehow the toddler managed to extricate the gun and fire a chambered round. It’s against the law in Idaho to carry a loaded concealed gun."

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/201......cautions

"Rutledge was shopping with four kids, when her two-year-old son reached into her purse, accessed her concealed 9mm Smith and Wesson M+P Shield semi-automatic handgun"

http://www.krem.com/story/news/local/koo......1058855/

The Smith & Wesson Shield comes in two versions as far as safeties are concerned. It comes with an external safety and no external safety and is a hammerless striker fired pistol. The trigger pull on one of these weapons is around 6 + pounds. Surprised a 2 year old could grasp the weapon in such a way as to discharge it because of the size of their hands. Perhaps possibly the gun's trigger caught on something in the purse and was discharged as the child pulled on the gun. I do not believe the child could hold the gun in a normal way and discharge it. Whatever the case it is tragic.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4791 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2014, balducci wrote:
At least a double tragedy was avoided. Rather a Christmas miracle that no one else was injured. And that the toddler was not gunned down by security.

No danger of that; Walmart only guns you down if you're holding a toy gun.
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Idaho Gun Laws:
http://www.idaho.gov/laws_rules/firearm.html
It is not against the law to carry a loaded weapon, Idaho is an open carry State.
John
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Unless she stole the gun, she was part of the well regulated militia. And as part of that well regulated militia, I'm sure she was very regulated and well trained in firearm use and storage. Just goes to show that even the most well regulated among us screw up now and then. Unfortunately nothing can be done in America to make any legal changes with regard to the militia and the well regulation of it.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2015, Wizzard wrote:

Idaho Gun Laws:
http://www.idaho.gov/laws_rules/firearm.html
It is not against the law to carry a loaded weapon, Idaho is an open carry State.
John

The Christian Science Monitor claim was that it is against the law in Idaho to carry a loaded CONCEALED weapon.

Your link says "if you are going to conceal it, the firearm must be disassembled or unloaded" though from the context it seems that is possibly only when in a motor vehicle.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes, the Idaho law states only that the gun must be unloaded or diassembled if it is concealed inside a motor vehicle. The Christian Science Monitor clearly interpreted it incorrectly.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
Trying to look after and control little children when out Christmas shopping is no easy task it self. Women seem much better at it than men as they can multitask. My three were like Houdini. The shops and goods are designed to grab ones attention. Similar to misdirection in a way you mind can take off the kids at various time as walk around and so on. Put a gun into the mix and you have recipe for accidents. So why take a gun in the first place when going shopping with the kids at Wal-Mart in broad daylight? It seems to me that Americans live in grand levels of fear in more ways than one. What was she thinking that caused her to think she needed a gun to go to shops with the kids? Is it Indian territory? No! It’s just Wal-Mart. Mind you I don’t know, perhaps you do get scalped there.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Two year old shoots mom (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL