The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Pop Haydn Teleportation Devices (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Here is an update (version 1.2) which I call the blackout version. I think the design is finally starting to come together.

I have changed the name from Teleportation Device to Teleportation Transmitter thus you will need a Teleportation Receiver. More on that later.

Switches are broken up into two areas, audio control and action control for simplicity.

It needs a Pop Haydn seal of approval. 8^)

Let me know what you think of the design and any suggestions for improvement. Also, do you think this is a marketable product? Would anyone be interested in me building one for them too?

Here is a link to the ELK-124 8 channel audio board that replaced the sound effects generator. This way you can put any audio file in the device for playback. It is a little on the expensive side at $184 but I feel is worth the investment for the benefit received.

http://www.elkproducts.com/product-catal......e-module
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

IT'S A FACT! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
CREDIS QUOD HABES ET HABES! - What you believe is real, is real!
WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN AND WHAT IS HE ALL ABOUT? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2214 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Don Stachowiak built mine and I have had no issues with it..so yes 100%
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3369 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I'm not sure I understand where you put the dollar, and how you make sure the audience sees it being destroyed. One and a quarter inches is large enough to hide the whole bill. Steampunk is just one approach. I have been living in the 21st Century for almost eleven years, and understand electronics and computers very well, and have access to the same technical components here as anyone else. Steam? For molecular deconstruction and reconstruction?
Smile

My device is much simpler. It requires no receiver, has very short range, and has to be aimed. It takes a knack.
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:
I'm not sure I understand where you put the dollar, and how you make sure the audience sees it being destroyed. One and a quarter inches is large enough to hide the whole bill. Steampunk is just one approach. I have been living in the 21st Century for almost eleven years, and understand electronics and computers very well, and have access to the same technical components here as anyone else. Steam? For molecular deconstruction and reconstruction?
Smile

My device is much simpler. It requires no receiver, has very short range, and has to be aimed. It takes a knack.

Humm, let's think about this from the audience standpoint:

Antenna version - They see the bill degenerate in from of them.
Firing Tube Version - They only have your word that the bill was in the fireball as it shoots across the stage although it does reappear in the lemon and egg and the end of the tube can be examined.

That being said, I'm thinking you may be right. The antenna version may be a stronger effect because it needs no reinforcement. (I've always had a tendency to over-complicate things.)

Are you back in LA or still on tour?
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

IT'S A FACT! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN AND WHAT IS HE ALL ABOUT? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3369 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Nashville. Two more lectures to go.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3369 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:
Http://w1tp.com/imperad.htm

Some great design inspirations here....
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22445 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
In my opinion, your designs are just to cluttered with all those lights, and small lettering. The audience will not see them when over 10 foot away, everything will just look like one be glob of something unrecognizable. I suggest you keep the nice meter in the center, and make one or 2 large blinking lights, maybe put a red cover over a cluster of LEDs to make one bright red light and one bright green light. Have an on and off knob or switch of some kind, and a knob or switch for to adjust the meter. Maybe something on the outside to show it electronic. Coil wire, or wires, something to draw interest. Add some brass or metal plates to make it look home made. Yes, shooting thing flash paper is just asking for an injury to happen. All it takes is just one person to complain.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3369 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Bill may be right about the fire. Whenever I have been questioned by a fire marshall, it was always a good point that the flash paper was contained by the alligator clip, and was not thrown.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
I'm going back to simple. After all (with apologies to Pop) this trick could almost be performed with a cigarette lighter with the same result.

The first device I made and posted at the head of this thread I immediately realised was flawed in few ways. The chief being it's design. Not from an aesthetic point of view but in that it has too many things that could go wrong and break. For example the plasma balll. I already broke one and had to install another, which of course wasn't the exact same shape and size as the first, and caused me a right head ache. Also the plasma ball isn't as bright as I thought, in daytime from a small distance you can barely see it working. The overall device is also too heavy and awkward to hold with one hand, which I needed personally.
So I made the second device which goes some way to alleviate those problems.. It's lighter, more robust, smaller and does exactly the same job.

I've been asked by a couple of magicians to make them one but the time and effort to make them means I couldn't for a price anyone wanted to pay.
So after some thinking and some tinkering I think I've come up with the solution. If all goes right over the next week or two (if I get enough time to tackle this) I'll have made a few pretty good looking devices for about half the price the others cost me and in a fraction of the time.
They will be simplish. The plasma plate light (as seen on my second design) is an option, sound will be any sound you would like to use, led lights will flash etc, all will be in stylish boxes with brass or silver embellishments.

The question was asked about commercial viability. I think I can get these out at a price people will pay, but time will tell.

I'll post some photos hopefully over the next week or two.

Having said all that about keeping it simple I'm also working in a Ring Grinder for a client who wants so many bells and whistles it's insane..... And will be hilarious...
Photos of that coming as well
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
I didn't realize something very important until I watched Pop's $15 download and that is, that it works better if the switches are on the back (or would that be the front?) and easily accessible wearing a thumb tip. That design element need to be taken into account. And if you haven't done so already, pay the $15, get the video downloads, and get the inside dope plus the performance rights to his signature effect. It is well worth the money.

Dale, if you are going to make these for sale, then you should include in the price the videos and performance rights as to assuming the buyer will be ethical and pay Pop. That is what I would do.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:

Dale, if you are going to make these for sale, then you should include in the price the videos and performance rights as to assuming the buyer will be ethical and pay Pop. That is what I would do.

I would have to make a deal with Pop over that, as I don't currently have the right to sell his videos or performance rights. I have broached the topic of selling devices with him and he has said he has no problem.
I would think most people who would want to buy the device would have already bought the video from him. If they don't they are missing out on some of the best teaching and advice you can get.

Then you get into people who won't be actually performing Pop's act, as one customer has indicated. His device will be used for a quite different effect.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3369 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I have no problem with people making the devices for themselves or others. If you want to do my routine, the complete performance rights are included in the purchase of the $15 download. The video covers every detail of handling and performance.

I really think that anyone attempting to do my routine would find the investment worthwhile.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3369 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:
I have no problem with people making the devices for themselves or others. If you want to do my routine, the complete performance rights are included in the purchase of the $15 download. The video covers every detail of handling and performance.
I really think that anyone attempting to do my routine would find the investment worthwhile.

As an unpaid spectator here, I agree it is well worth the meager sum he is asking for it. For God's Sake! It's no more than three trips to Starbucks for your morning coffee.... 8^)
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3369 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
An unsolicited testimonial! Smile
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3369 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2015, GS121002 wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:

As an unpaid spectator here, I agree it is well worth the meager sum he is asking for it. For God's Sake! It's no more than three trips to Starbucks for your morning coffee.... 8^)

Definitely, and it was worth it when I paid much more for the DVD (before downloads).

Gotta love the interwebs
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
I like the cigar box versions of the Photos on the link Pop posted. Cigar boxes are wood, look good and are just the right size.

I noticed infinity lights are the rage and could be a low cost alternative to a plasma light. They come in coasters, necklaces and lamp sizes. There is kind of an implied time travel in their look.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ORRS......=desktop
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2015, TheRaven wrote:
I like the cigar box versions of the Photos on the link Pop posted. Cigar boxes are wood, look good and are just the right size.

I noticed infinity lights are the rage and could be a low cost alternative to a plasma light. They come in coasters, necklaces and lamp sizes. There is kind of an implied time travel in their look.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ORRS......=desktop

Yes, cigar boxes are the way to go.

I can't open the link you provided....

Are these what you mean?

http://www.infinitylights.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Pop Haydn Teleportation Devices (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL