We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » S.A.M. or I.B.M. or no club at all...? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RookieMage
View Profile
New user
Rookies only have
58 Posts

Profile of RookieMage
I am curious to hear from my fellow Caféterians whether they can recommend joining a magic club/fraternity like S.A.M. or I.B.M. (or no club at all), and which one is more recommended than the other (or if no club at all is what you do, why?).
Joey_Z
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin, USA
89 Posts

Profile of Joey_Z
For me it is none...if there was an active group closer than 2 hours, I would likely be writing a different answer.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Rookie!

I've belonged to I Bother Magicians for 65 years as of April 1, and Some Are Magicians for, I rhink, 40 years as of August 1. They both have a monthly magazine (ooops, IBM has a "journal") As a new member, I read every word! Now, I skim the table of contents, earmark the articles that sound interesting, and try to read them within about a week. The rest of the material, I skim. For years, I carefully saved them until the walls got too thick. I sold them at an auction. I do xerox the pages of anything that I think is worth filing.

Some local Rings and Assemblies are very active. Some have monthly meetings because the meeting is on their calendar. Some have a good cross section of young, intermediate, and older members (amateur, part time professional, and full time professional).

Most groups welcome new people as guests. I would suggest that you visit a meeting, or two, or even three! You'll "know" if joining will be fun and beneficial. You're in Seattle. There was a ring there, the last time I toured the schools in Washington in the early '90s. I don't remember if there is/was an Assembly.

In either case, you may join the national, and get the magazine. Whether you join a ring or assembly is elective. You may find a mentor'

SAM is the older organization, IBM came along later.

I hope that helps. Frankly, at 83, I don't need to belong! --It has become a "habit" to send a check!

Yr's, 'til the deck is shuffled!

Dick
Sneaky, underhanded, devious and surreptitious itinerant mountebanc
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1419 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
I am a current member of the Canadian Association of Magicians, SAM, the Fraser Valley Magic Circle and the Academy of Magical Arts (Magic Castle) in California. They all have their individual perks and many of them have local rings/assemblies. Belonging to an organization means you will be kept up to date on the latest news as well as the new toys.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Yes, join. Attend a few meetings and then decide one or both. Some clubs are stronger in a local area. Local membership is what matters and you won't know that without attending a few meetings.

There is no substitute to an experienced magician that is willing to help you with your skills. You find them at club meetings

Hudson.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5929 Posts

Profile of motown
In addition to what has already been said, you can also enjoy the lecture experience put on by clubs.

Of the two clubs, I've always preferred the magazine put out by the IBM.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I would say join, I was a member of the magic circle when I lived in the UK and always enjoyed it. I only wish there was a club where I live now but there isn't, its great to get with like minded folk and chat.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » S.A.M. or I.B.M. or no club at all...? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL