The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » World Cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I'm an American living in Germany. Either way Friday should be a blast!
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Yep, Scotland will Samba Smile

I've given up trying to predict the outcome of the matches now. For all I know the final could be between Senegal and South Korea, and judging by their recent games, both would deserve to be there.
volant
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin
59 Posts

Profile of volant
It is pretty cool USA has made it this far. I am pretty sure they haven't gotten this far before(same with Senegal). Brazil doesn't seem to be playing as great as they used too.

Two funny quotes by local sports casters(Milwaukee, WI, USA)

"Soccer, it's becoming one of the worlds most popular sports..."

"It's been called the superbowl of soccer, but I don't think it is that popular..." In reference to the World cup.
By the time you read this, you've already read it.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
One of the most popular quotes concerning American sports is: "The nerve of those Americans, having a world championship in basketball and not inviting any other nations." same can be said for football(American) and baseball. The only other country we let play in any of these "world" championships is Canada since they have a few franchised professional teams.
The Bear
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
71 Posts

Profile of The Bear
As an Englishman, I'm torn. It's traditional for us to support whoever is playing against Germany, but I just can't abide the thought of the USA going and winning the World Cup. Can you imagine how smug they would be, winning at a game they don't even watch, which the rest of the world is obsessed with?

They can't even call it by its proper name, football. You know, that game where you use your FOOT to kick the BALL, as opposed to American football, where they use their HANDS and seldom the feet.

Oh well, that's enough of my insults against the world's most powerful nation (except in Soccer).
There are two types of people in the world. Those that divide the world into two types of people, and those that don't.
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
Now that football players have become tradeable world-assets I give you this gem of an upshot from the recent Korea-Italy game, hot off the european presses.

Ahn Jung-hwan the South Korean who scored the goal against Italy, was sacked yesterday by his Italian club Perugia.

Luciano Gaucci, president of Perugia, accused South Korean Ahn Jung-hwan of insulting Italy and biting the hand that fed him, according to the Italian press yesterday.

The 26-year-old, who is married to a former Miss Korea, has become his country's answer to David Beckham after the co-hosts beat Italy 2-1 at Daejeon on Tuesday.

Mr Gaucci told the Italian media that Ahn "will never again set foot in Perugia", describing him as the "ruin of Italian soccer. "When he came to us he was quiet, he did not even have money to buy a sandwich," the director of the Serie A club said. "He has become rich without supplying any exceptional performances.

"I have given orders for him not to return to the club. I am angry. He has only stood out in the World Cup when he has faced Italy.

"This behaviour is an offence for a country that two years ago opened the doors to him. I will not renew him (his contract), he does not deserve it."

Ahn, who has been on loan from the Korean league club Busan since the start of the 2000/2001 season, refused to respond directly to reports that he had lost his job.

His contract in Italy runs out on June 30.

However, he said he felt positive about his future club career. "I haven't given up the dream of becoming a world-class star and I am always on the ground looking forward to that day," he said.

Ahn claimed his experience at Perugia last season, when he played 15 games and scored only once, had helped prepare him for the tournament.

"Although we won on my goal, I think I should thank Italy," he said. "I didn't play much, (but) I've learned a lot and had tough times during my two years in Italy. I think that has helped me play good matches in this World Cup."

-June 20th
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Quote:
On 2002-06-20 09:31, The Bear wrote:

I just can't abide the thought of the USA going and winning the World Cup. Can you imagine how smug they would be, winning at a game they don't even watch, which the rest of the world is obsessed with?

They can't even call it by its proper name, football. You know, that game where you use your FOOT to kick the BALL, as opposed to American football, where they use their HANDS and seldom the feet.

I am a very patriotic person, a combat decorated former Marine. I could not agree with you more. I myself am not a big fan of Soccer. I would like the U.S. players to do their very best. I just have a hard time becoming a bandwagon fan.
He who laughs, lasts.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Well, Brazil have just beaten England 2-1 and look good to win the cup now. I thought England would've tried a bit harder, especially playing against 10 men for thirty minutes.
J_C
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
59 Posts

Profile of J_C
It was a laugh as I think everyone (including myself) believed we were going to do it. Brazil were just the better team on this occasion.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
I think the expectation among England fans came from the fact that they defeated Argentina. But when you think about it, Argentina were not a particularly impressive side - they relied far too heavily on Batistuta, a player who is past his peak.

Argentina were talked up as potential winners of the cup, but only in England - the Argentina media didn't think they would win. I mean, Claudio Cannigia, who doesn't even get a regular game for Glasgow Rangers, was in the squad and would have played if he wasn't injured.

It was a shame for England, as I think the expectation affected their performance against Brazil.
J_C
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
59 Posts

Profile of J_C
It was that Peter Snow guy who built our hopes up. If anyone watched him on bbc1 a few days ago he kept going on that - "Statistically speaking, if England get the first goal, then you might as well switch off the TV as they're bound to win."
I bet Mr Snow is ducking for cover now!

I agree with your points about Argentina though, M_L.
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
Englands MVP had to be Felipe Ramos Rizo who took Ronaldinho out of the game by a questionable red card decision. Had that not occurred we would surely have seen a total annihilation of the England team. And where was the England coach all this time? What on earth did he instruct his team to do at half-time?

Just the day before, England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson had said. "If you give Brazil the time and space, they are very good. Their attacking is excellent and they have got a lot of individual skill. But maybe they are not as good at defending as they are at attacking." Duh - words to chew on as he heads home.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
FYI
Germany 1
USA 0
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » World Cup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL