The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Learning to cold read (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ish70
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Ish70
Hello all!

I'm an amateur magician looking to expand my knowledge. Where are some good starting points for learning basic mentalidm and cold reading techniques?

Thanks in advance.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Welcome to the Café. Yours is a common question, and the best answer anyone here can give is for you to use the Café's Search Function.

There are many many topics and threads on this, and the various threads will give you much good information. Reading the many answers will give you more information than the few suggestions that may pop up here.

Happy hunting, and again, welcome to the Café.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Ish70,

Take a look at Bob Cassidy's "The Thirty-Nine Steps to Mentalism:"
http://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html

You mentioned that you're an amateur magician, so you'll feel right at home when you find that Bob has "The Amateur Magician’s Handbook" on the list.

Best of luck,
Truman
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
My first cold reading books were Richard Webster's Quick and Effective Cold Reading, Psychometry A-Z, and Ron Martin's Palm Reader's Notebook.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2015, The_MetalMaster wrote:
My first cold reading books were Richard Webster's Quick and Effective Cold Reading, Psychometry A-Z, and Ron Martin's Palm Reader's Notebook.

"Spoon feeding in the long run teaches us nothing but the shape of the spoon."
'Curiouser and curiouser."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
You might also read the sticky topic at the top of this forum and then take a moment to introduce yourself.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
"The Amateur Magician's Handbook" is far more professional in its content and advice than a great number of books in our profession. A person could easily get by only with the information in that book. Not only would you get by but you would be ahead of many and have a foundation that would support you for a very long time to come. Don't be fooled by the title.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I've often said that if the book was just called "The Magicians Handbook," it would have long ago been accepted as one of the greatest books on the subject ever written. As it is, it was part of a series of "amateur" handbooks that were published by Thomas Crowell in the late 1940's, hence its unfortunate title.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2155 Posts

Profile of ddyment
A free resource that many have found useful is my own collection of cold reading resources.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
For cold reading, the Herb Dewey books, the Full Facts Book of Cold Reading, The Dance, and Quick and Effective Cold Reading will round out everything you need.
Ish70
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Ish70
@mastermindreader:
yeah, I noticed that AFTER I posted here. Sorry... I'd promise not to do it again, but I've learned that I don't always learn after the first mistake! Smile

To all of you: Thank you very much for your responses. Lots of good things to sift through and learn. I greatly appreciate it.

Now to the introduction:

I am a 44 year-old Chaplain at an alcohol and drug rehabilitation center in Oklahoma. I've been doing tricks for about 3 years and magic for about 2... I recently joined the Fellowship of Christian Magicians. I love card magic, sponge magic and I'm getting into mentalism.

My favorite performers are Harry Anderson, Penn & Teller, and Daniel Garcia. I'm looking forward to growing and learning.

Thanks for your input and support!
Phren
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Phren
I would just like to add Kenton Kneppers Completly Cold. A system that really set the base for my cold reading on which I'm curently expanding. Other than that, I read all horoscopes everyday in the train to gather 'wisdom'
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Here's a novel idea: Learn how to genuinely read people. No tricks, gimmicks or stock lines (although an oracle is an attractive method to communicate your 'reading'.

As a young man (in my twenties), I would sit in a public spot; have my companion select anyone in the room and then attempt to deduce everything that I could about that person (including their profession).

I would purposely avoid anything that would be obvious to a casual observer; i.e., wedding bands, certain rings, class ties, etc. Instead, I was looking for how the person carried themselves, the way in which they related to others, general physical; emotional and mental condition, etc.

When all was said and done, I got up, approached the person, apologized for disturbing them and explained what I was doing. I politely asked permission to share my deductions.

Gotta tell ya... Over time I became fairly good. Turns out that I can do a fairly good reading.

Anyway, that's how I approach 'readings'.

Best to all,

Scott
p.s. I also invested some time into learning the Oriental version of palm reading and facial diagnosis. Both very helpful for in depth readings.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Oh, I nearly forgot. A very fruitful and accurate tool to add depth to your readings is to look at the person sitting before you and mentally select someone that they remind you of.

Using the person that you are familiar with as a template, do the reading (in part) on the person that you already know.

While it is true that each of is unique, the amount of commonalities that we share is staggering.

Something to think about.

Best,

Scott
Phren
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Phren
I agree with Scott about trying to really read people. First its fun and it also trains you to look at people and listen too them. Some cold readers I've met just love to hear themselves talk but a great deal of cold reading is also about letting them speak, verbally and non verbally.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2574 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Pretend you're Sherlock Holmes, and do it for real, in your mind. You can practice this on the bus, tube. No one will know you're doing it. Just practice disassembling people from their attire, posture, etc. You won't necessarily be 'right' or even know if you are. But it will help get your brain in gear so you know what to actually say to people.

Now, when they actually tell you if your observations are right or wrong and you actually get a conversation going - what you do with that information is another matter entirely, but at least by being able to talk (and justify, however ridiculous your assumptions, what you're on about) you'll be halfway there.

Most people read so much about cold reading that they're stuck for words when it comes to it.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I've found Joshua Quinn's Acension to be a great way to practice readings with a"safety net". It's a brilliant effect, and allows you room to expand your readings so that you can try out different ideas knowing that regardless of how accurate you are, you always are assured to be correct with the core effect.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Anything that helps you get there is helpful. I just feel some paths are more fruitful than others.

Best,

Scott Smile
JarJarJared
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of JarJarJared
Also figure out which way you are going to go. In my opinion there are really to main options:

-Unscripted personality readings with classic techniques (The stuff that most fraudulent psychics and mediums use. That doesn't mean you should be a fraud, obviously. Just use the techniques).

-KK and PT's readings that make use of clever worded PAs and BAs.

A prefer the latter because of its "no miss" ideology.

Another nice "safety net" effect is Dan Huffman's Gidrah.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
An accomplished reader requires no safety net!

Best wishes,

Scott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Learning to cold read (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL