The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » French are attacked by terrorists...... (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..16~17~18 [Next]
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I guess Quakers don't believe in killing to save their own lives or the lives of their spouses and children.

instead of guessing you, should google it!! Do they???
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I thought the Quakers were waging a war against cholesterol?

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, Ian McColl wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I guess Quakers don't believe in killing to save their own lives or the lives of their spouses and children.

instead of guessing you, should google it!! Do they???

Do you believe that all killing is immoral?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
I cannot post my views as last time I did they vanished.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
I feel for the families. Especially the family who undoubtedly saw their loved one gunned down on the sidewalk- the policeman- who ironically happened to be Muslim according to the latest news I heard. He will probably be celebrated as a martyr by the fanatics, but only mourned for by his family. You just never know when you step out of the house when you might not come back.

All over cartoons.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quakers' views differ in regard to self-defense:

http://www.fgcquaker.org/explore/faqs-ab......actifism
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
My favorite cartoon to date, by banksy(?)
"yesterday, today, tomorrow"
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/fake-b......n-2015-1
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4674864.stm
Quote:
Depicting the Prophet Muhammad

Protests have spread across the Muslim world over the publication in Europe of cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

The BBC News website looks at why the depictions have caused such offence.

What does the Koran, the holy book of Islam, say on the issue?

There is no specific, or explicit ban int he Koran on images of Allah or the Prophet Muhammad - be they carved, painted or drawn.

However, chapter 42, verse 11 of the Koran does say: "[Allah is] the originator of the heavens and the earth... [there is] nothing like a likeness of Him."

This is taken by Muslims to mean that Allah cannot be captured in an image by human hand, such is his beauty and grandeur. To attempt such a thing is seen as an insult to Allah.

The same is believed to apply to Muhammad.

Chapter 21, verses 52-54 of the Koran read: "[Abraham] said to his father and his people: 'What are these images to whose worship you cleave?' They said: 'We found our fathers worshipping them.' He said: 'Certainly you have been, you and your fathers, in manifest error.'"

From this arises the Muslim belief that images can give rise to idolatry - that is to say an image, rather than the divine being it symbolises, can become the object of worship and veneration.

What does Islamic tradition say on the matter?

Islamic tradition or Hadith, the stories of the words and actions of Muhammad and his Companions, explicitly prohibits images of Allah, Muhammad and all the major prophets of the Christian and Jewish traditions.

More widely, Islamic tradition has discouraged the figurative depiction of living creatures, especially human beings. Islamic art has therefore tended to be abstract or decorative.

Shia Islamic tradition is far less strict on this ban. Reproductions of images of the Prophet, mainly produced in the 7th Century in Persian, can be found.

Why is the insult so deeply felt by some Muslims?

Of course, there is the prohibition on images of Muhammad.

But one cartoon, showing the Prophet wearing a turban shaped as a bomb with a burning fuse, extends the caricature of Muslims as terrorists to Muhammad.

In this image, Muslims see a depiction of Islam, its prophet and Muslims in general as terrorists.

This will certainly play into a widespread perception among Muslims across the world that many in the West harbour a hostility towards - or fear of - Islam and Muslims.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6441 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, R.S. wrote:
Http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4674864.stm
Quote:
Depicting the Prophet Muhammad

Protests have spread across the Muslim world over the publication in Europe of cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

The BBC News website looks at why the depictions have caused such offence.

What does the Koran, the holy book of Islam, say on the issue?

There is no specific, or explicit ban int he Koran on images of Allah or the Prophet Muhammad - be they carved, painted or drawn.

However, chapter 42, verse 11 of the Koran does say: "[Allah is] the originator of the heavens and the earth... [there is] nothing like a likeness of Him."

This is taken by Muslims to mean that Allah cannot be captured in an image by human hand, such is his beauty and grandeur. To attempt such a thing is seen as an insult to Allah.

The same is believed to apply to Muhammad.

Chapter 21, verses 52-54 of the Koran read: "[Abraham] said to his father and his people: 'What are these images to whose worship you cleave?' They said: 'We found our fathers worshipping them.' He said: 'Certainly you have been, you and your fathers, in manifest error.'"

From this arises the Muslim belief that images can give rise to idolatry - that is to say an image, rather than the divine being it symbolises, can become the object of worship and veneration.

What does Islamic tradition say on the matter?

Islamic tradition or Hadith, the stories of the words and actions of Muhammad and his Companions, explicitly prohibits images of Allah, Muhammad and all the major prophets of the Christian and Jewish traditions.

More widely, Islamic tradition has discouraged the figurative depiction of living creatures, especially human beings. Islamic art has therefore tended to be abstract or decorative.

Shia Islamic tradition is far less strict on this ban. Reproductions of images of the Prophet, mainly produced in the 7th Century in Persian, can be found.

Why is the insult so deeply felt by some Muslims?

Of course, there is the prohibition on images of Muhammad.

But one cartoon, showing the Prophet wearing a turban shaped as a bomb with a burning fuse, extends the caricature of Muslims as terrorists to Muhammad.

In this image, Muslims see a depiction of Islam, its prophet and Muslims in general as terrorists.

This will certainly play into a widespread perception among Muslims across the world that many in the West harbour a hostility towards - or fear of - Islam and Muslims.

Ron

What's your point?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4791 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quakers' views differ in regard to self-defense:

http://www.fgcquaker.org/explore/faqs-ab......actifism

IIRC, Richard M. Nixon was born a Quaker, though I don't know if he considered himself a practicing one.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4803 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
My hats goes off to the cartoonists, lost and living.

already they mock the ideology that caused death to their own.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/7/7508387/cart......ie-hebdo

Slim King, some people don't feel the need to kill, no matter what!!!!!!!!!!
I think some countries promote killing more than others and justify it by any means.

No- they promote it when Heads are being chopped off and kids as early as the age of 5 are being brainwashed and taught to do these horrific acts and being told that, "You will die someday for the crusade of Allah" whether it means blowing themselves up or chopping someone's head off.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4803 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
I feel for the families. Especially the family who undoubtedly saw their loved one gunned down on the sidewalk- the policeman- who ironically happened to be Muslim according to the latest news I heard. He will probably be celebrated as a martyr by the fanatics, but only mourned for by his family. You just never know when you step out of the house when you might not come back.

All over cartoons.

Exactly Theodore- he was shouting something to the effect, "We have avenged Allah" or something to that nature. Basically, we KNOW they were RADICAL EXTREMIST Muslims that want to KILL all people who do not believe in their Allah! I personally do not believe all Muslims are this way, it's just a shame and on-going tragedy that a fraction cannot let people live and worship who they want to. If their god is so loving- I don't think forcing people to believe through the use of violence, killing and beheading is a positive way to convince others.

RNK
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, Ian McColl wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, Slim King wrote:

It's seems like a huge problem to solve....

I thought by now you would suggest every French person to carry a gun!!!

Ian ... I'll bet every one of the 12 Murdered wished they'd had a gun ... I'll bet everything I own ....In those last moments they wished they were armed.. No doubt in my mind .... and 12 good guys to 3 bad guys .. I'll bet this story would be over right now.

There were trained police guarding the building with guns and it didn't help them. Arming journalists is not the answer. It's an office, not the Ok Corral.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
I cannot post my views as last time I did they vanished.

I think if you typed "Yes" or "No," you'd be safe.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes or No.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, Sean Giles wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, Ian McColl wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, Slim King wrote:

It's seems like a huge problem to solve....

I thought by now you would suggest every French person to carry a gun!!!

Ian ... I'll bet every one of the 12 Murdered wished they'd had a gun ... I'll bet everything I own ....In those last moments they wished they were armed.. No doubt in my mind .... and 12 good guys to 3 bad guys .. I'll bet this story would be over right now.

There were trained police guarding the building with guns and it didn't help them. Arming journalists is not the answer. It's an office, not the Ok Corral.

The element of surprise is powerful. That doesn't mean the ones inside wouldn't have been better off armed.

Being defenseless isn't the answer.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
I wonder how safe it is to show the cartoons here.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, tommy wrote:
I wonder how safe it is to show the cartoons here.

Dennis the Menace is probably OK; Calvin and Hobbes, less so.

As with most things, there's a spectrum.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
The Magic Café was never a place where the spirit of liberty - and thus of resistance - breathed freely.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Put one up and see how it goes.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » French are attacked by terrorists...... (31 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..16~17~18 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL