The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » French are attacked by terrorists...... (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..16~17~18 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It's no Dilbert.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Did you ever have to make up your mind?
You pick up on one and leave the other one behind
It's not often easy and not often kind
Did you ever have to make up your mind?
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
It's no Dilbert.

Feels a bit like a MAD magazine cover. The line translates (crudely) as "100 lashes if you don't laugh yourself to death".
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20193 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Some perspective in this horror.

A freedom so many take for granted such as a cartoon caused this. Rather than argument and exchanging barbs I would have hoped for something different here. Though I admit this is rooted more in hope than expectation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17517 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, Sean Giles wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, Ian McColl wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, Slim King wrote:

It's seems like a huge problem to solve....

I thought by now you would suggest every French person to carry a gun!!!

Ian ... I'll bet every one of the 12 Murdered wished they'd had a gun ... I'll bet everything I own ....In those last moments they wished they were armed.. No doubt in my mind .... and 12 good guys to 3 bad guys .. I'll bet this story would be over right now.

There were trained police guarding the building with guns and it didn't help them. Arming journalists is not the answer. It's an office, not the Ok Corral.

Three of the officers WERE NOT ARMED and left the danger are... These guys were lambs for the slaughter .. They needed a second amendment right to bear arms to protect themselves .. Would have saved their lives ... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17517 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

I think every media organization worldwide needs to publish these ... If you don't ..They win....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17517 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Here is what happens in Florida when armed men come into a business...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CJp9BPHMOo
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

These guys were lambs for the slaughter .. They needed a second amendment right to bear arms to protect themselves .. Would have saved their lives ... Smile

Yes, I'm certain that a receptionist with a handgun would have easily taken out the terrorists wearing body armour, who were armed with Kalashnikovs and rocket launchers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......aws.html

Donald Trump ridiculed for blaming Charlie Hebdo massacre on France's strict gun laws

Donald Trump has been labelled a moron on Twitter for suggesting the victims of the Charlie Hebdo massacre were denied 'a fighting chance' by France's gun laws.

Canadian Cari Ramsey from London, Ontario, wrote: '[N]one of them would have had a shot! NONE! 2 guys with AK47s surprised a room. Guns would have done nothing!'

Steve Dickinson, from Cumbria, told Trump: 'Just like the guys in the Boston Marathon hey Donald?'

Another user who identified herself only as HillyFoz replied to the tycoon: 'THEY WERE JOURNALISTS. NOT STUPID GUN TOTING RED NECKS. GO BOIL YOUR WIG'.

Moreover, gun laws in France are not so restrictive as Trump seems to believe.

In France citizens must have a licence to buy a weapon, but once one is obtained they can use it to buy handguns and even semi-automatic rifles - the kind where all you have to do is pull the trigger to fire.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Obviously a hoax video. We all know that citizens don't use guns to prevent crime.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6441 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
Here is what happens in Florida when armed men come into a business...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CJp9BPHMOo

Thank goodness for men like Mr. Williams. And thank goodness the government hasn't taken guns away from men like him.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, balducci wrote:
Quote:

These guys were lambs for the slaughter .. They needed a second amendment right to bear arms to protect themselves .. Would have saved their lives ... Smile

Yes, I'm certain that a receptionist with a handgun would have easily taken out the terrorists wearing body armour, who were armed with Kalashnikovs and rocket launchers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......aws.html

Donald Trump ridiculed for blaming Charlie Hebdo massacre on France's strict gun laws

Donald Trump has been labelled a moron on Twitter for suggesting the victims of the Charlie Hebdo massacre were denied 'a fighting chance' by France's gun laws.

Canadian Cari Ramsey from London, Ontario, wrote: '[N]one of them would have had a shot! NONE! 2 guys with AK47s surprised a room. Guns would have done nothing!'

Steve Dickinson, from Cumbria, told Trump: 'Just like the guys in the Boston Marathon hey Donald?'

Another user who identified herself only as HillyFoz replied to the tycoon: 'THEY WERE JOURNALISTS. NOT STUPID GUN TOTING RED NECKS. GO BOIL YOUR WIG'.

Moreover, gun laws in France are not so restrictive as Trump seems to believe.

In France citizens must have a licence to buy a weapon, but once one is obtained they can use it to buy handguns and even semi-automatic rifles - the kind where all you have to do is pull the trigger to fire.

If Carl Ramsey thinks so, that settles it.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Love is stronger than hate.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4791 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Put one up and see how it goes.

Defending one's right to free speech is quite different from approving what that speech says. I don't think it's necessary to propagate mindless hateful images.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, landmark wrote:
Quote:

Defending one's right to free speech is quite different from approving what that speech says. I don't think it's necessary to propagate mindless hateful images.

The two I posted were neither mindless nor hateful.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:

I just wanted to see if he'd get beheaded.

Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, Ian McColl wrote:
My hats goes off to the cartoonists, lost and living.

already they mock the ideology that caused death to their own.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/7/7508387/cart......ie-hebdo

Slim King, some people don't feel the need to kill, no matter what!!!!!!!!!!
I think some countries promote killing more than others and justify it by any means.

No- they promote it when Heads are being chopped off and kids as early as the age of 5 are being brainwashed and taught to do these horrific acts and being told that, "You will die someday for the crusade of Allah" whether it means blowing themselves up or chopping someone's head off.

Teaching any doctrine is like smoking. get them while they are young and they are hooked for life.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, Ian McColl wrote:
My favorite cartoon to date, by banksy(?)
"yesterday, today, tomorrow"
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/fake-b......n-2015-1

Agreed!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, R.S. wrote:
Http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4674864.stm
Quote:
Depicting the Prophet Muhammad

Protests have spread across the Muslim world over the publication in Europe of cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

The BBC News website looks at why the depictions have caused such offence.

What does the Koran, the holy book of Islam, say on the issue?

There is no specific, or explicit ban int he Koran on images of Allah or the Prophet Muhammad - be they carved, painted or drawn.

However, chapter 42, verse 11 of the Koran does say: "[Allah is] the originator of the heavens and the earth... [there is] nothing like a likeness of Him."

This is taken by Muslims to mean that Allah cannot be captured in an image by human hand, such is his beauty and grandeur. To attempt such a thing is seen as an insult to Allah.

The same is believed to apply to Muhammad.

Chapter 21, verses 52-54 of the Koran read: "[Abraham] said to his father and his people: 'What are these images to whose worship you cleave?' They said: 'We found our fathers worshipping them.' He said: 'Certainly you have been, you and your fathers, in manifest error.'"

From this arises the Muslim belief that images can give rise to idolatry - that is to say an image, rather than the divine being it symbolises, can become the object of worship and veneration.

What does Islamic tradition say on the matter?

Islamic tradition or Hadith, the stories of the words and actions of Muhammad and his Companions, explicitly prohibits images of Allah, Muhammad and all the major prophets of the Christian and Jewish traditions.

More widely, Islamic tradition has discouraged the figurative depiction of living creatures, especially human beings. Islamic art has therefore tended to be abstract or decorative.

Shia Islamic tradition is far less strict on this ban. Reproductions of images of the Prophet, mainly produced in the 7th Century in Persian, can be found.

Why is the insult so deeply felt by some Muslims?

Of course, there is the prohibition on images of Muhammad.

But one cartoon, showing the Prophet wearing a turban shaped as a bomb with a burning fuse, extends the caricature of Muslims as terrorists to Muhammad.

In this image, Muslims see a depiction of Islam, its prophet and Muslims in general as terrorists.

This will certainly play into a widespread perception among Muslims across the world that many in the West harbour a hostility towards - or fear of - Islam and Muslims.

Ron

What's your point?

It's informational and relevant to the topic. What aren't you getting?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4791 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

The two I posted were neither mindless nor hateful.

John, I agree I was too strong in my words. I don't think the first cover was mindless. I do think, however, that the image is a stereotypical semitic trope, big nose and all. If that kind of picture were used to illustrate a negative article about Hasidic Jews, I think the picture would not be so widely defended. Again, NOT saying that they had no right to publish it; NOT saying that the attack was not horrific. I am saying that the picture IMO is tasteless and offensive to Muslims, and as such, I have no interest in seeing it propagated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » French are attacked by terrorists...... (31 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..16~17~18 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL