The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Piddingtons book released (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
419 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, MagicImproved wrote:
Injecting some lateral thought - Why did Lesley Piddington say to her Grandson "If I wanted to pass on the methods to you - I wouldn't be able to, it's hard to explain why, I just wouldn't be able to..."

Because some of the methods were so difficult that others wouldn't even want to attempt the effort and the methodology for some is freeflowing ala ACAAN which as we know is incredibly difficult to describe and put into print. Looking forward to reading the book.
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore
International Artists Consultant Uri Geller's Phenomenon TV Series;
PEA Bob Haines Memorial Award;
Dunninger Show Recreation;
Author of Dunninger Knows and Dunninger's Brain Busters

JosephAtmore.com
John McDonald
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, England, UK
171 Posts

Profile of John McDonald
I have ordered and am looking forward to the book. Interestingly, the author says that he wrestled with the thought that Sidney didn't want any methods published . He has been swayed to publish by the thought that whatever methods are revealed (and I doubt they would be easy) could be enhanced and improved by the magic fraternity. There is a pledge not to reveal whatever is found and the price is high enough to put off the curious. I hope I can study this book and have even more admiration for them and the story that he developed his methods in a prison camp is fascinating in itself. I love this art Smile Smile
Best wishes John
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
830 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
It is now available as a .pdf on lybrary Smile

The author is also producing a DVD :

Quote:
Using brand new modern methods - this exclusive DVD will teach you unfathomable techniques to perform thought transference demonstrations on stage and at long distance - No complicated word codes to learn, no gimmicks necessary or confederates required. Can be performed over the phone, video calling and while truly blindfolded. Distance no object. The best system ever created is here - It's time to make your mark!

I am puzzled : "brand new modern methods" means no rapport with the piddingtons ?
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, Nestor D wrote:
I am puzzled : "brand new modern methods" means no rapport with the piddingtons ?

I obviously can't say for sure, but I'd interpret it / guess that it means taking advantage of the latest technologies that weren't necessarily available to the Piddingtons. It may be possible to do that while staying in keeping with their approach.

But like I say, this is little more than wild, ill-informed speculation on my part...
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Corriveau
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Corriveau
Quote:
He then decided to start his own publishing company to contribute future subject matter he has knowledge of.

By that statement, it sounds like this "investigative reporter" might be planning to expose the sacred secrets of other magicians in the future and sell to the general public for his personal profit. I choose not support this project. I'll save my money and maybe wait for the free downloads to appear on the web soon.
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
I saw the Evesons performing at South Tyneside last year.
I really, really do not want to know how this sort of effect works.

I am guessing it takes years to build up a system, and not something you can just pick up from a book and dive straight into a performance.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, Corriveau wrote:
Quote:
He then decided to start his own publishing company to contribute future subject matter he has knowledge of.

By that statement, it sounds like this "investigative reporter" might be planning to expose the sacred secrets of other magicians in the future and sell to the general public for his personal profit. I choose not support this project. I'll save my money and maybe wait for the free downloads to appear on the web soon.

At 40 quid a copy it's going to be of absolutely NO interest to the general public. Are there lay people about who would have any interest in such a project anyway? Hart has quite clearly stated that the book is aimed at the magical fraternity, not the general public.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
So the price protects it form the general public? Really?????
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, Corriveau wrote:
Quote:

By that statement, it sounds like this "investigative reporter" might be planning to expose the sacred secrets of other magicians in the future and sell to the general public for his personal profit.

It doesn't sound like that at all. I fail to see how you can jump to that conclusion.

Also, our secrets are not 'sacred'. That is giving them far too much importance.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm afraid the Magicians Code is doomed by folks like you...........
Everything is for sale.......
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, Slim King wrote:
So the price protects it form the general public? Really?????

In as much as price protects ANY magic publication, DVD or effect from the general public.

I do not imagine that there is a huge rush of lay people waiting for the release of this book, and most certainly not at the price. By definition I would think anyone buying the book is already interested enough in the field not to be classed as a lay person.

And it's not just about price. There's plenty of $5 and $10 publications about but it takes a certain degree of interest for someone to purchase them surely?
JMcDonald
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of JMcDonald
I have this and am reading at the moment. It is fascinating mainly because of the life of Sydney during the war and the germ of the act being Bourne out of such adversity.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, JMcDonald wrote:
I have this and am reading at the moment. It is fascinating mainly because of the life of Sydney during the war and the germ of the act being Bourne out of such adversity.

How does it compare to Hanussen's act in your opinion, in that it was developed during war times in the service...???
JMcDonald
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of JMcDonald
Sorry I haven't read Doc Hillford's Hanussen Dossier. But just to say it must have been a way to get through the terrible trauma of the prison conditions.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
My copy of Piddington's Secrets arrived this week. I haven't read it completely yet, but wanted to share my first thoughts as I know some people in this thread sounded as interested as I was.

The first and most important question - does this actually answer all the questions surrounding the Piddingtons shows? Yes it does. And it introduces new information to the discussion from reliable sources.

That leads to the second question that's come up a few times in this thread - should it have been published? My feeling is probably not, and certainly not like this. Others may disagree and that's fine.

In the preface and introduction, the author shares his "rationale" for sharing what Lesley Piddington herself (as well as numerous others) never would. I fail to see any argument or reason given at all. Even reading between the lines it's hard to find any motive other than, "I wanted to share what I found out, and was encouraged to do so by certain professional magicians". I'm further confused by the fact that the author put this book out for sale in public markets, proudly exposing every secret, but then includes a strange "I promise I will not show this book to anyone or share the secrets" pledge at the start of the book. Double standards? He speaks of honour in keeping the secrets, but then tells of every method and every secret and every person involved in constructing the acts. Maybe it's just me but I don't get that.

The third question - can I use these secrets in my act? Having not read the book in its entirety, I can't be sure, but the bits I have perused contain methods that I'm pretty sure fall into two categories with regard to the people I meet here in the Café:
1. You'll know the general concepts from reading the classics.
2. For a handful of different reasons, you probably won't be able to replicate the methodologies yourself without a LOT of work.

I was willing to pay a high price for this book because I was fascinated by the history of Sidney Piddington and thought that this would be a pleasing addition to my library. I had, in the back of my mind, an assumption that I already knew how most of their work was actually done (turns out that I wasn't always right). As a history book though, this is lacking. I apologise to the author, but it's not particularly well written or edited, and from someone who introduces themselves as an investigative journalist at the start of the book, I find both the grammatical errors and the page layout quite hard to read. Call me nitpicky if you like. I prefer to call myself borderline-Aspergers! Smile

Will I enjoy finishing this book? Yes, absolutely. But I'll also hate it. When I was a kid borrowing magic books from the library, all of them said "Don't tell people how you did it", and a couple of them went on to explain why - that the excitement and entertainment is in the not knowing, and that your audience will often be disappointed or become ambivalent if you tell them how it was done. That's the case here. In my desire to look at the history of the Piddingtons, I've inadvertently spoiled some of the magic in my mind and will only continue to destroy the mystique and legend as I continue to read. That's a shame.

My feelings may change when I read the book in its entirety, so stay tuned for a sudden post of retraction in the coming weeks. For now though, it's a nice book, and it's interesting to see that these secrets were discoverable all this time, but I don't recommend people rush to buy it.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
830 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
Thank you for this review, it is helpful Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Thanks C.J. for a nice review and some actual insight instead of just speculation. So the methods and details you believe are true and real, rather than some pseudo-explanations as some suspected? Very interesting. Yes, please check back as you complete the book and have had time to reflect.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Thank you for the insightful review C.J....this is definitely a book I'm interested in.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
A great review C.J. I think its very sad that someone would make the secrets public knowledge, but that seems to be the trend these days. What happened to magicians being a secretive bunch ? These days they seem to be the complete opposite, more interested in telling friends "I know how that's done" as if that makes them appear clever.
They don't seem to realise the damage they do.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
George, what damage is being done by this release exactly?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Piddingtons book released (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL