The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Fisrt time very timid busk attemp..impression and request for help (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Hi,

I will make the story very short...it's a painful story Smile

I will come to my strong impression but having a very small attempt with a small sample size please correct me if I'm wrong.

1:The main factor to make people stop is curiosity to make them look and than voice to make them stop.
2:Effect transition could be a pain.

Just in order to let things clear I did not make any money and I was able to perform just the first trick...and once.
It was a short attempt due to time limit...

...and the main goal of the day was to overcome the fear and try it.

I have no table and no cartel.

I have come to the conclusion...that could be wrong...that working with a table and doing Cups and Balls could be the best approach to get experience for a total beginner like me.

Here is why:
1:How to make them stop? Curiosity first right? What's best than a table with a cartel with written on "oldest job (job cancelled) trick in the world" and with on top cups and balls? and a wand in the hand...I can use voice to stop...sounds of the cups...some cups and balls gags/flourish...
2:How to make them stay? Having only one solid routine with beginning middle and ultra strong ending time tested that offer a lot of potential audience engagement (depending of me of course) look a good idea...It seems practical to engage audience, interact and develop personality with that king of a routine.
3:How to make them pay? After they had fun good funny hat line a ultra strong surprise ending.

My little supposed show (never done to strangers from start to finish) now have 2 main problems...one is that I'm weak to make them stop to begin with...
I thought to use Kozmo strategy...It works of course but...I end doing the coin stuff (my routine not his own) only to people that walk very near to me and look interested...moreover even if it potentially works most of the time I could face rejection...that's a little stressful strategy for me..

The structure of my ipotetical act was:
1:One coin routine (I love It because is mine) ending with a ring production
2:Ring and string
3:Professor nightmare
4:Rope throught neck.

Do you suggest that I insist trying without a table with that structure or your experience suggest too that doing just a table Cups and Balls (and eventually adding something at the beginning) is a way better idea?
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
I have another option in mind...but has different challenges...

Always without a table...starting with something like manipulation or balloon swallowing and than a coin on the ground to get people closer...basically Jimmytalksalot strategy...but I will have to 2 problems there...first learning a good manipulation routine and than finding a strong finale without a table...I don't think rope through body part is not even close to cups and balls and bill in lemon routine require to much set up...
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Having a large, visual 'prop' helps generate curiosity.
That large prop can be a table, a sign (cartel), a unicycle, and/ or a well-defined costume.
People will notice you if you look and sound different than the rest of your environment.
Let's take this one step at a time.
Figure out what you're going to do to get their curiosity (bring a large sign), then go out there and do it again.
Try these two methods of stopping them, and figure out which one works best for you:
1) Talk to groups of people as they walk by and tell them that you're doing a show, etc.
2) Don't talk to people; DON'T EVEN LOOK AT THEM. Just set up your props, or do some manipulations, or something that engages their CURIOSITY.
Go out there and do that (with YOUR show) and then report back.
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Hi Riffraff,

point 1 sucks big time and point 2 works...

Still my main points remains...I'm reading about busking tables...but I yet have to find someone easy to travel with...or a way to make it on the spot...
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
You don't NEED a table to attract a crowd.
Don't compromise your original vision to become a generic clone. We don't need any more cup and ball workers.
(There are almost as many cup and ball workers on the street as there are pretend buskers on the internet.)
Figure out how to make YOUR show work. You won't figure it out on the computer. You have to go out there again.
Based on your very limited experience you can't say that point 1 sucks. Every pitch is different and every performer is different.
I've seen plenty of performers succeed big time with point 1.
If you want to be good, if you want a show that you can be proud of, if you want to be a performer then take my original advice and go out there with a sign and try it again.
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
I would prefer to do without table...but I have to:

1:At least use a sign
2:Change Opener
3:Structure the show in a way to facilitate transition and give more a unit structure...a theme...

However is also true that a beginner should first copy to have less hard start...than after experience start modelling the act in more original way...

And by the way I have never seen a street act with a better finale than chop cup or cups and balls...it has heavy structural advantages...

If I find a way to have a travelling light easy to carry table I'll go cups and balls..
I'll buy "Four Of A Kind DVD Set for the Sidewalk Performer" in order inspiration and ideas to work without a table..
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
About this: "If you want to be good, if you want a show that you can be proud of, if you want to be a performer then take my original advice and go out there with a sign and try it again."

At the moment it is not the priority to be great, or original, or proud of myself...at the moment the priority is being able to do a little sidewalk show and grow from there...
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
I remember being embarrassed to do the cups on the street because my hometown already had a guy who did that. Times have changed, in oh so many ways.

Cellini would say that color, motion and sound are the keys to getting people to stop and watch, but it can seem a bit overly-simplistic if you don't already have a strategy.

My first time out, it took me three hours to get anyone to stop, and all they did was try to break my balls when they finally did. The only thing that saved me was that I was already good at magic. I sucked at busking, though. I think I made a whole three dollars before finally giving up for the day.

You went out and tried it. That's a start. It's a good start, because at least you did it. Now do it 10,000 more times, and you'll be fine.

Some would say that it doesn't matter which effects you perform, but I believe that to be both true and false, depending on a lot of things that are specific to the individual.

Passing a rope through your body requires a strong engagement of the audience, or they'll walk away before you're halfway through. You need fun and cooperative spectator volunteers for that.

I'd say use eye-candy at first, because they can simply watch you do it, and when you're just starting out it's harder to really engage people and get them to interact with you without being jerks. As you get more experience, and notice they're starting to like you more, try engaging them more, and doing more audience participation.

Even people who won't give strangers the time of day will stop sometimes and watch something cool, and even toss a buck in the hat. But it takes time to learn how to really engage them without them feeling uncomfortable or forced into it sometimes.

There's no worse feeling than being new to this and being in the middle of something and having them walk away. It's really discouraging, and you want to keep it happy for yourself, and stay enthusiastic.

Experience will be your best teacher, and you're already starting to get some. Just keep doing it, don't let anything discourage you from going out and doing it again, and always look towards improving.

That's the best advice I can really give you. I've been busking for the better part of 20 years, and that's how it worked out for me. Your mileage may vary.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1247 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Get yourself a good pick a card and find it trick.

Get a small table. I use an InStand http://www.instand.com/CR3/cr3.shtml

Go back out there. Stop a person or two and ask them if they want to see a card trick. (Teens and teen couples are the easiest to stop. They seem to have lots of free time.)

Have them pick a card and sign it. Now go into the rest of the trick BUT, as you see more people interested the trick, interrupt what you're doing, call them over, tell them what just happened, did the card out of the deck and have THEM sign the card too.

Explain that you are going to do something amazing in a few seconds. As they are signing the card talk to them. Ask where they are from. Comment on that. Comment on where you are from. Go back to the first person and ask them where THEY are from. Keep the conversation lively. Imagine you're interviewing these people for TV, not just having a chat with them at a backyard picnic.

Oh look, more people are coming over and you just shuffled the card back into the deck. Recap the trick. You had a card selected by this person. They signed it and you had this person sign it to. As you're doing that run thru the cards and find the signed card and as you do tell them that you're going to find their card in an amazing way. Here's the card, but that's not the amazing way. Have the third person sign it too. Have them put the card back into the deck.

At this point you have a selected card with 3 signatures on it. By the end of the trick, you should have at least 3 people still watching you, even in you, because they have a vested interest in the trick...their signature on the card.

If you see more interested people, call them in, reassuring them you don't need any more volunteers. This puts people at ease. Recap the selection process and then do the end of the card trick.

If you can make that work, you'll learn how to stop people, talk to people, gain interest in what you do, and how to keep a steady dialogue going with the crowds so that you maintain interest.

It might take a while, but you'll learn fast.

By the way, what you do after that card trick is up to you. You should have a nice little crowd by then.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Hi Evildan,

I think that trying to stop people asking them if they want to see a card trick is not a good strategy.

the tip for that table is very good if I choose to use a table just for stage presence and put on it a deck of card.

Another problem with cards is that sometimes with cold hands doing TL and pass could be a problem...

Using a table with a cartel a doing card trick could be a great experience especially for getting used to engage people but does not seem to me a good way to stop people neither a good tool to do a finale (if you are thinking of TOD I think it's strong but require huge showmanship to keep the ball rolling also considering the fact that does not have a punch line, if you are thinking of card to mouth that's great but for a finale too?, if you are thinking of Homing card plus it's wonderful and in fact I thought of it thinking of a complete card act but no matter how good you are palming 50 cards is a little bit flashy if recorded on IPhone and analyzed second for second).

If you are thinking for example of Gazzo opening with cards I have seen him spending like 9 minutes before actually doing a trick with them just engaging people...that's his opening...and he has a table with cups on top to have stage presence and build expetactions...
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1467 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
DEADMONEY, first I like to say that you did very well in trying out and be there on the street. that is the spirit. and even after that experience you still want to go back and do better. very good.

second, you are to much hung up on the "I need a table". it is NOT the Table IT IS YOU. the hardest thing to learn is to be free and don't bee afraid. this is a proces that you have to go trough. sorry everyone has to. feel comfortable and not be afraid of what people might think or how they would react. you are there to have fun. if they don't want that YOU ARE THERE TO HAVE FUN!!!!

here is my cowboy magic show. I end with lasso's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2436dG8m2w
i do now a medieval magic show. in that I close with or the eggbag - or thumb tie - or fisch sticks (my china sticks) or 3 linking rings
you can close with every trick if you understand the street. go and see on youtube NON magic street shows.

here an easy routine to start with. a misers dream with spongeballs. take a paperbag and a spongsball 3" and porduce that ball from thin air. put it in the paperbag the produce another one and another one. produce the behind a child ear. make two balls and do the classic ball in hand to your hand. or have abig ball in the paperbag and after productions turn over paperbag and show the very big ball.

BE FREE AND NOT AFRAID AND HAVE FUN.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1247 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
DeadMoney - what I told you to do is exactly what I do to build my crowd. I usually do a sidewalk or a half circle show. It works either way. It also works when I'm strolling at festivals. I have a card selected, signed by a number of people and it winds up overturned in the deck. I then tear the card in pieces giving each person the part with their name.

Not sure what type of show you are trying to do. But if you don't think it will work for you, it won't.

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't...you're right." - Not sure who said this.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Remember that a strategy like that described by EVILDAN isn't bad, it just might not be as good or comfortable for you at first.

What works for some people might not work for you, but it doesn't mean it isn't any good.

And if you try it a few times, you might find it grows on you.

When you're just starting out (heck, for the duration of your career), you should always be willing to try new things, especially if you feel resistance within yourself towards them at first. Sometimes we break through and things work for us that we never thought would work. Sometimes things just don't work for us. It's all part of the process.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Be brave, take heart, and as Lenny Bruce would say, try anything at least twice.

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Thank you all for the help.

It's not that I want the table...is that I want cups and balls because its structure could easily solve all the "problems" I have.

I have also an all rope act in the back of my head but it requires a lot of time to develop and I don't even know if I could bring it to life.

It's just I'm a little tired of having headache when with a table I could focus mainly on one time tested routine and have fun and grow experience from there.
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, EVILDAN wrote:
DeadMoney - what I told you to do is exactly what I do to build my crowd. I usually do a sidewalk or a half circle show. It works either way. It also works when I'm strolling at festivals. I have a card selected, signed by a number of people and it winds up overturned in the deck. I then tear the card in pieces giving each person the part with their name.

Not sure what type of show you are trying to do. But if you don't think it will work for you, it won't.

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't...you're right." - Not sure who said this.

From what I read from your other posts on the café, you end with cups and balls using a table, do you?
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

I will warn against absorbing yourself in a complex routine while starting out. I used to focus so hard on the cups that anyone walking past saw only the top of my head, and not my face. It's really easy to sink into introversion in front of people, and retreat into the comfortable routine of a complex thing like the cups and balls.

Not saying you should avoid the effect, just saying to beware of using it as a crutch. Always be aware of the audience, and always engage them. Never forget that. Be fearless and look at the people, or they will walk all over you.

If you don't keep looking up at them, they'll treat you like a TV set and not a person. That's why busking often works so much better with things like in-the-hands card tricks and so forth. It's harder to fall into the trap of staring downward all the time if you work at chest level, up and off the table.

DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
I love cups and balls because they offer a lot of potential for audience interaction...they amplify the personality of the performer...
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

It's your potential. And it's up to you to amplify your personality. It isn't in things, it's in you.

If you enjoy performing the effect, and it helps you engage and come out of the box, then hey, no problem. But just remember it all really comes from you, not the effects you perform.

I've done stunning cup routines and people walked by without even bothering to look. And I've goofed off with a silver dollar or a hanky, and wound up with 300 people crowding around to watch.

Whatever works for you works. But it's not the tricks, it's the guy doing them. If you're having fun, they'll have fun, as long as you're having fun together.

EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1247 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
If I'm performing myself, I end with cups and balls or ch*p cup.
If my wife and I are performing, cups and balls will be in the middle. We end with our whip act.
by EVILDAN....
PM me for more info.
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
I will offer two simple suggestions.

1. Never ask if someone wants to see something. Say "Watch"
2. Start thinking about who you are out there. Your character. This will evolve but start thinking about this in relation to the tricks you do.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Fisrt time very timid busk attemp..impression and request for help (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL