The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Need some reviews (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fozziebearx
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of fozziebearx
Hello, I was looking to purchase a book recently (just ONE book and no more), something that could keep me busy for a long time. I had a few books in mind, they were Apocalypse Vol. 1-5, The Collected Almanac, The Magic of Micheal Ammar, Tricks by David Ben, or Constant Fooling by David Regal. I am only looking for one book but I chose these becasue they will probably keep me busy for quite some time. Also if you know of another book I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your help!
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1804 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Fozziebearx,
It would help if we knew what your interest's in magic are. Also you may want to start with basic books such as , the Mark Wilson Course in Magic or Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book, both are excellent.However if you want to specialize in cards, coins, silks, mental etc. etc. there are many books on just that subject.Maybe even the Tarbell Course.
My philosophy is "The more magic books the better" Works for me..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
fozziebearx
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of fozziebearx
Oh ya, sorry I forgot to tell you guys that, I am what I believe an intermediete card magician (mostly) I just started work with coins. Um also lets see I have the basic books and I have numerous intermediete videos. I also wanted to say that another reason I was looking at these books is because I wanted a book based on tricks and routines (like the above mentioned books) and not a book which teaches just sleights and some tricks (like RRTCM)
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I recommend The Magic of Michael Ammar - it's an excellent resource that covers a broad spectrum of tricks, and also has some thought-provoking essays on the psychology of magic and some very helpful, practical tips on issues relevant to magicians. It is one of the first books I bought, and still one of the best!
danielchua
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
119 Posts

Profile of danielchua
There's one DVD which is quite good..Pass with Care by Peter Cassford
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Since your direct question hasn't been directly answered yet, I will give it a shot. Richards Almanac and Apocolypse both have numerous effects from a plethora of different people. Michael Ammars book is strictly his stuff. If you are looking for great commercial stuff, look no further than Constant Fooling. If you ,however, want more bang for the buck, Apocolypse is the way to go.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
Also, Apocalypse just has four volumes. Smile
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
For practical stuff, go with the John Bannon books - one of them is still sold by L&L. you cant go wrong with those.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
The Collected Almanac gets my vote, followed by Constant Fooling.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
The Cassford DVD is horrible. For one, the pass he teaches is not not properly. For proper execution see Wakeman. Second, he says you need to relax when you perform the pass, yet he closes his eyes, stands on his tip toes, and holds his breath. Third, his tips are self evident and any person with any experience trying to do the pass will know them. Fourth, there are so many other, better video resources available for the pass including Kaufman's tape.

Stay away from the Cassford DVD, you will spend more time eliminating bad habits after "learning" from him than you would if you just tried to figure out the pass on your own.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Need some reviews (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL