The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help with finding a convincing book test (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jescilito
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Jescilito
I'm pretty new to magic and just recently I've been learning a little about mentalism. I've been working pretty hard on a book test which I thought was fairly good. I fooled a couple of people but it did not pass my test as my room mate immediately saw right through it. The book test I'm doing, without giving too much away, is called One Word In A Thousand. It's a gimmicked book I constructed myself with some instructions that's really clever I think, but, like I said if it wont fool my room mate then I need to learn a new one that is more solid because It's likely to get me busted elsewhere. The problem I'm having is that there are so many book tests out there and For every one there are plenty of avid salesman who tell you that It's the end all be all. As I've learned It's easy to get swindled with instructional books and dvds that don't quite meet their claims. So I held off a while before posting this and did a ton of research but I'm still at a loss. I'm not looking for anyone to spoon feed me but I'd just like to find instructions on a good convincing book test that I can make a wise investment on. The only thing I'm certain of is I would like one in which there is no obvious f*rce, I'd like something as close to a free choice as possible. The thing that I liked so much about the book test I recently learned is it can really be a free choice, any page, any word.

Also I'm not really interested in becoming a mentalist, as magic is more my thing, but I'm looking to fill in some gaps in my newly budding persona by adding some mentalism to my getup. I have a couple of psuedomentalism effects with cards that I enjoy a great deal.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
First of all, you don't "add some mentalism" to your show. Mentalism requires practice, a lot of practice. It's not something you just "add"
and second of all, we don't fool people, we entertain them. Besides, you do not need the amazing ultimate book test to "fool". Work on your persona and practice a lot.

Best,

Ever.
I shall see you on the other side.
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
744 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, Jescilito wrote:
The book test I'm doing, without giving too much away, is called One Word In A Thousand.

Maybe if you ad some zero's to the thousand part you will find a better booktest...
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
523 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
You make the book test convincing, not the method! Mentalism is about method + PRESENTATION. If you do some magic I do not think you are able to convince people, that you read their mind. You should consider that.

What do you want from a book test (which conditions)?
-

Prometheus
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
The problem with adding a book test to a magic set is that as a magician, your audience is always somewhat aware that you are tricking them. Therefore, when they see a book test, the only logical answer in their mind is "That's a trick book". Even when it's not. To work well, mentalism requires a different relationship with your audience, so that they can never be quite sure if you're doing tricks or genuinely exhibiting some sort of power or skill. And in this light, a "good" book test is judged by the presentation rather than the method.

Having said all that, it doesn't answer your question, and probably doesn't convince you to change your approach. So if your heart is set on a convincing book test that can be done with the spectator's books (and thus avoid the "trick book" argument) look for the Hoy Bold Book Test.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Jescilito
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Jescilito
Prometheus thanks for your response. As I said before my interest is in becoming a magician, not a mentalist. I work hard and practice, practice, practice. While It's true my presentation is certainly not on par with what I hope it to be someday. I am very pleased with where I am considering the short time I've been studying, 5-6 months. The book test I saw performed was the best piece of mentalism that at least I've come across. The word was freely selected, and never written down. That is what I hope to get out of a book test.

Anyway I'm not looking for the end all be all book test. My opinion is that, my room mate is pretty smart. She's my first test subject of anything I perform. All of the psuedomentalism with cards I've done has stumped her until this point. Plus it has been the most entertaining for her. She is a tough critic this is why I trust her opinion on most of my work. Forgive my political incorrectness, It's not my sole aim to fool people but as has been stated above to entertain others as well as myself. Yet try to fool as well as entertain I must.
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
523 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Whichever book test you perform, it should look like the word or phrase is freely selected and in most book tests the word is never written down. Your restrictions are too vague.

The problem by testing every new effect on one person is, that it could happen that his knowing about the art could get too big to give a good feedback, further more she is not magician and does not know what is important in a performance. I seems to mee that if you give up on a trick if she gets the methods, but maybe it is your presentation or that your technique is not that good. Test on foreign people if possible.
-

Prometheus
Jescilito
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Jescilito
CJ thanks for the response. Also thanks for understanding. It truly is not my aim to convince anyone I am psychic. I am just interested in learning some mentalism alongside magic. The mentalism I do with cards are some of the best effects I have. I enjoy it very much and I'm just looking for a solid book test that will suit my needs.
I was under the impression the Hoy test used a f*rce but I must be mistaken. I'm going to look further into it.

Pprometheus honestly I'm not throwing the book test I've been using out. I've had some fun with it. I just don't like the fact that the word has to be written down. It is difficult to describe what I want in a book test because I don't know a lot about them. I could more easily describe what I don't like about the book test I'm using. Which is just what I said, but I'm refraining from saying to much as to not break the rules of the forum by giving away a method. The book test I use you have to Write the word down, and you have to use the book as a surface to write on. For me this is just too obvious. Though I have had some fun using it I want to find something more convincing.
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
Mentalism performed alongside magic is rarely seen as mentalism by the audience, but instead is seen as mental magic. What other conditions are you looking for? You said you don't want the word written down, you don't want a force. Why? How would your ideal booktest unfold?
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2015, Jescilito wrote:
CJ thanks for the response. Also thanks for understanding. It truly is not my aim to convince anyone I am psychic. I am just interested in learning some mentalism alongside magic. The mentalism I do with cards are some of the best effects I have. I enjoy it very much and I'm just looking for a solid book test that will suit my needs.
I was under the impression the Hoy test used a f*rce but I must be mistaken. I'm going to look further into it.

You are not mistaken, however your specifications ruled out an OBVIOUS force. I don't believe Hoy to be obvious. Once again, the presentation *is* the effect in mentalism. A casual process and an interesting reveal make Hoy a worker.

Quote:
Prometheus honestly I'm not throwing the book test I've been using out. I've had some fun with it. I just don't like the fact that the word has to be written down. It is difficult to describe what I want in a book test because I don't know a lot about them. I could more easily describe what I don't like about the book test I'm using. Which is just what I said, but I'm refraining from saying to much as to not break the rules of the forum by giving away a method. The book test I use you have to Write the word down, and you have to use the book as a surface to write on. For me this is just too obvious. Though I have had some fun using it I want to find something more convincing.

I think I know which test you mean, and it's one that, with my preferences and performing style, I have never felt I could pull off convincingly. Some can make it work, but it's seems quite transparent, and I've never actually seen someone perform it live.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1828 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Suggestion to the OP: Look for Rachel Colombini's DVD Wild About Harry. The Harry Potter Book Test in there is a nice, fairly easy, very deceptive book test. It can be adapted to any book over 370 pages long. With very little thought, it can be any book over 250 pages.

-Patrick
Jescilito
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Jescilito
Thanks Mr Woolery I'll look into it.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1473 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I have yet to see a book test I've liked more than Autome.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, C.J. wrote:

Having said all that, it doesn't answer your question, and probably doesn't convince you to change your approach. So if your heart is set on a convincing book test that can be done with the spectator's books (and thus avoid the "trick book" argument) look for the Hoy Bold Book Test.

Sorry, C.J., but you are far nicer than I am. First off, I would not have ever shared that. I think that someone should have to work just a little bit harder.

Second, I believe that Hoy's Bold approach is the very definition of mentalism. And as such, this approach is not your typical 'magic tricks'. Therefore, not something you do to merely add to a magic set.

You are; however, a true gentleman by being helpful. Just wanted to share my opinion.

Best wishes, as always,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
One other thing gents:

This is Penny. You are listing googleable terms here. Probably not a good idea.

Best,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2657 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, Jescilito wrote:
I'm not looking for anyone to spoon feed me but I'd just like to find instructions on a good convincing book test that I can make a wise investment on. The only thing I'm certain of is I would like one in which there is no obvious f*rce, I'd like something as close to a free choice as possible.

PMed you.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Your girlfriend is probably the worst person to test mentalism on. She knows you are a magician and therefore assumes everything you do is a trick. The key illusion mentalists create is the perception that what they are doing might just be real.

And she's effectively immune to that illusion.

That's why it's nearly impossible to present mental effects convincingly as part of a magic act.
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
746 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
First, if you perform magic, you won't convince them. You are not looking for a convincing book test but for a fooling one (and I hope an entertaining one).

To make it convincing, just work on your presentation (most book tests can be very obvious to a logical mind if you have no solid presentation).

I send you a pm with something that will entertain rather than convince Smile
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
There is no convincing book-test for strolling magic.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10605 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, C.J. wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2015, Jescilito wrote:

You are not mistaken, however your specifications ruled out an OBVIOUS force. I don't believe Hoy to be obvious. Once again, the presentation *is* the effect in mentalism. A casual process and an interesting reveal make Hoy a worker.

Quote:
Prometheus honestly I'm not throwing the book test I've been using out. I've had some fun with it. I just don't like the fact that the word has to be written down. It is difficult to describe what I want in a book test because I don't know a lot about them. I could more easily describe what I don't like about the book test I'm using. Which is just what I said, but I'm refraining from saying to much as to not break the rules of the forum by giving away a method. The book test I use you have to Write the word down, and you have to use the book as a surface to write on. For me this is just too obvious. Though I have had some fun using it I want to find something more convincing.

I think I know which test you mean, and it's one that, with my preferences and performing style, I have never felt I could pull off convincingly. Some can make it work, but it's seems quite transparent, and I've never actually seen someone perform it live.

The method for that particular MM book test shouldn't be obvious if performed well
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help with finding a convincing book test (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL