The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help with finding a convincing book test (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10597 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2015, Martin Pulman wrote:
There is no convincing book-test for strolling magic.

I could say I heartily agree with you Martin but I would be fibbing.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
256 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
Hoy's Book Test is always my first choice. One of my two or three favorite effects of any.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5132 Posts

Profile of Amirá
This book is kind of convincing

In a serious note... No effect will be "convincing" itself. If you are not interested in Mentalism, with all positive intention, don't do a book test. Maybe use a book to let a selected card to travel magically to a name page on a book, but don't try to do a psychic effect if you are not interested in studying this art.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
MrPoponi
View Profile
New user
Brazil
80 Posts

Profile of MrPoponi
About Book Tests I think :

If is possible free choice of the spectator to choose to select a word, without !@#$*, better.
If spectator does not need anything to write, since the word only in your brain, also better. However, "for stage", this option is more risky because spectator can lie, forget the word, misread, read another Word... can compromise the performance. I think is very hard to happen (really, never happened to me), but possible.
But also, as has been said here, the more important that the method is the presentation.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
One additional thought...

The premise of a free choice is a canard. As a mentalist your job is to make it appear as a free or random choice. That is part of our job description.

Get it?

Best to all,

Scott
p.s. I may have to take a hiatus from here. Too much time and I'm becoming quite persnickety.
'Curiouser and curiouser."
mixman
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Colorado
294 Posts

Profile of mixman
You might try Cody Fisher's comedy book test. I feel it fits into a magician's repertoire better than most other book tests. Personally, I agree with Ben Blau.
Maven's "Autome" is very effective. I bumped it up a notch by having half dozen or so paperback books available for the spectator to freely choose from.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10597 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Or Shawn Farquhar's superb Sheer luck
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2015, Casper TFG wrote:
The following post was submitted to a different thread by mistake. Sorry for the dupication if you've read it twice.

This may be going off-topic somewhat, but with more and more magicians using commercially available mental effects in their programs, there is the growing chance that the same audience may just see the same mental effect done by a magician which is done by a mentalist perhaps a week later. Of course, if a mentalist shies away from using commercial mental effects in his/her program, it would render the point I would like to make rather moot.

This is not a magician versus mentalist issue because the same point could be applied to two mentalists. For example, if one week the audience saw a mentalist using a rather uncommon looking blackboard and then the next week saw a different mentalist or magician using the same uncommon looking blackboard, I would tend to think that it would make some audience members say to themselves...hmm. Personally, as a mentalist, I would find it "creepy." Perhaps this is reason enough to strive for uniqueness. Without a doubt, this is why I've never had the desire to be anyone's clone nor use commercially available effects.

Very few people have ever seen a mentalist live, let alone a different one every week.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I don't know Bob. If you go to weddings and functions in the UK you'll see quite a few these days. Well, people performing mental effects, I should say- if not actual mentalists. It's quite the growth industry.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

That's probably because of all the Derren Brown imitators. That situation doesn't exist in the US.
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
May I instead ask why you would want to incorperate a book test in a magic gig? Do you really think it will fit after you've performed cups and balls?

To me it would just be like adding sugar cubes on a pizza. It would both look wierd and taste even more so.

Kind regards.
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
Casper TFG
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Casper TFG
"Very few people have ever seen a mentalist live, let alone a different one every week. -- Bob Cassidy"

I didn't say "a different mentalist/magician EVERY week."

Perhaps you haven't experienced it but that doesn't mean other people haven't experienced it. Surely, you don't speak for everyone, do you? I, for one, have experienced it several times. And as far as I'm concerned, once is too many. I have over 7,000 shows before paid audiences under my belt so it doesn't surprise me that I've experienced it several times. And as I've said, once is too many for me.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2015, Casper TFG wrote:
"Very few people have ever seen a mentalist live, let alone a different one every week. -- Bob Cassidy"

I didn't say "a different mentalist/magician EVERY week."

Perhaps you haven't experienced it but that doesn't mean other people haven't experienced it. Surely, you don't speak for everyone, do you? I, for one, have experienced it several times. And as far as I'm concerned, once is too many. I have over 7,000 shows before paid audiences under my belt so it doesn't surprise me that I've experienced it several times. And as I've said, once is too many for me.

Not cool. Apparently having 7,000 shows under your belt didn't teach you how to act like an adult.

As far as I'm concerned (and many others as well), Mr. Cassidy is extremely generous in sharing his time, knowledge and experience here.

In return, I believe, he is entitled to our utmost respect.

My feeling is that if you can't express yourself in a more congenial manner, perhaps it better to say nothing at all.

Sincerely,

Scott
Casper TFG
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Casper TFG
"Not cool. Apparently having 7,000 shows under your belt didn't teach you how to act like an adult." -- Scott Soloff

My statement wasn't meant to be disrespectful. The amount of shows was to indicate the odds of it happening are not exactly zippo under those conditions. And I stand by my point, one person's experience does not hold true for everyone. Thank you for your feedback.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2015, Scott Soloff wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, C.J. wrote:

Having said all that, it doesn't answer your question, and probably doesn't convince you to change your approach. So if your heart is set on a convincing book test that can be done with the spectator's books (and thus avoid the "trick book" argument) look for the Hoy Bold Book Test.

Sorry, C.J., but you are far nicer than I am. First off, I would not have ever shared that. I think that someone should have to work just a little bit harder.

Second, I believe that Hoy's Bold approach is the very definition of mentalism. And as such, this approach is not your typical 'magic tricks'. Therefore, not something you do to merely add to a magic set.

You are; however, a true gentleman by being helpful. Just wanted to share my opinion.

Best wishes, as always,

Scott

Aikes! The very thing I have pulled others up on in the past is the very thing I am now guilty of. You are right Scott, and I apologise to all. As the discussion has progressed I see that my interpretation of the OP wasn't quite spot on. And Scott, you are very correct to say that this is a situation where the questioner needs to work a little harder.

This is my sort-of-ashamed-of-myself-but-not-going-to-get-myself-down-too-much face: Smile
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
You should be ashamed Mr. "Scupltor"!

Smile
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2015, John Linden wrote:

I wouldn't be too hard on C.J. He was only trying to be helpful.

Best,

Scott

Smile [/quote]
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2015, John Linden wrote:

Bahahaha! Smile

Don't worry Scott, he doesn't mean anything harm. It's a throwback joke.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
JarJarJared
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of JarJarJared
First of all, all mentalism in pseudomentalism.

Anyway, PAs and BAs are convincing if scripted well. Many book tests use them because they are the only way that almost any book test could even function.

Surprisingly, Brian Brushwood actually had a very direct and concealed method. However his gimmicks were limited addition and I'm almost positive there aren't any left. But if you have constructed your own book previously I'm sure you could create one yourself.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Wrong. By definition, mentalism is a performing art which simulates mind reading. "Pseudo-mentalism" would be doing the real thing and passing it off as traditional mentalism. (Something I have to do in order to keep the skeptics off my back. Smile)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help with finding a convincing book test (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL