We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Awesome card trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cesaroski
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of cesaroski
Hello gentlemen, I am new to this community and have joined because I need help solving a particular problem (though I have read loads of stuff on this forum in the past). So I am reading the royal road to card magic and also watching the dvd's , and reading it I realize that a lot of tricks I see on tv or on the internet can be easily done with few techniques. So last night I was watching for the first time david blaine's real or magic show and at 1:37 of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imk3tmgqwRw where the card goes from his hand in the middle of the deck trick is incredible. If someone could tell me a place where that trick is explained it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Cesaroski
Jay Store
View Profile
New user
UK
31 Posts

Profile of Jay Store
And ladies too, one supposes, but never mind.

Welcome Cesaroski! I rather think that David Blaine makes it quite clear in the programme that 'it looks simple, but it's actually me working for a long time to figure out how to do this stuff. And it's practice. It's hours and hours and hours of practice.' I think you are in the right place - reading the Royal Road - to start developing your skills and you have the right ambition to perform sleights and moves as apparently effortlessly as seen in the hands of great card magicians. The flourishes that David is demonstrating in the first few moments of the show are awesome, but you need to start with simpler ones and work on your skills at a much lower level.

For what it's worth, and I know it's not quite what you asked, but I thoroughly recommend the Card College series as instructional manuals.

Jay
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Knowing how is one thing. Performing smoothly, confidently, with an engaging and entertaining character is quite another.

Many of the tricks you see a professional do on videos can often be "reverse engineered" by someone familiar with a wide range of sleights and techniques. And while it is good to have a certain routine in mind as a "target" to work towards, we should also keep in mind that many pros put their own "spin" on things using techniques that are not publicly available.

If cards are what you want to do, keep up the work and the pieces will slowly fall into place.

Welcome to the Café! We're glad to have another on board to share this journey.

Ed
cesaroski
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of cesaroski
Thanks a lot for the tips, you guys are right, first I should really master the techniques in the royal road. You see the problem with card college is that the techniques are not shown on video and are difficult to understand, whilst on video are easier to imitate.
Joey_Z
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin, USA
89 Posts

Profile of Joey_Z
Not to sidetrack into the video versus print debate, but Mr Giobbi offers excellent detailed instructions in his books with so many double check moments pointed out that I would never describe it as "hard to understand". Yes, there are items that need to be read multiple times and worked through slowly but we could hardly expect otherwise for anything that takes effort to learn. On the other hand, he now offers a dvd set for volumes one and two - I have not seen them and they are pricey but they may be just what you are looking for.
Jay Store
View Profile
New user
UK
31 Posts

Profile of Jay Store
I would speculate - and I confess that I am a book learner, albeit that I enjoy video presentations in support of learning from books - that Card College 1 & 2 on DVD may be even more useful as a support to the text than Royal Road on DVD. In the case of Card College you have the author himself offering the supporting DVD, rather than another magician who is working with Huggard & Braue's text. I'm not sure whose DVD series you are using, and I have every respect for all those who have produced them... but I haven't watched any of them, and like Joey haven't watched Card College either!
kaubell
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of kaubell
Cesaroski,
Do you mean this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul4Kc9ZOUOY
cesaroski
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of cesaroski
Yes kaubell exactly that, though he also flicks the card in the middle of the deck... thanks a lot!!!
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2015, cesaroski wrote:
Thanks a lot for the tips, you guys are right, first I should really master the techniques in the royal road. You see the problem with card college is that the techniques are not shown on video and are difficult to understand, whilst on video are easier to imitate.

PDF files are offered on Lybrary with embedded video clips at http://www.lybrary.com/card-college-1-2-p-817.html for $80. But you don't need the video instruction if you already have these volumes in your library. Just work through learning the sleights and the tricks, once you get a bank of working sleights the tricks become easier and easier to learn. Once you learn a trick you have to get good at presenting it and that takes a lot of time though.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Eichenberg
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Eichenberg
Since I'm a visual learner I really need video's to learn. I just do not like learning with books. I think this is very individual.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Awesome card trick? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL