We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How Hard Could It Be? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
FatherWilliam57
View Profile
New user
Beaver, PA
73 Posts

Profile of FatherWilliam57
What about this for a portable performance table for parlor shows? Shouldn't be too hard to build one...

http://www.houzz.com/photos/16946273/Dis......r-tables
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
"If this be magic, let it be an art..." - Leontes
(Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3)
FatherWilliam57
View Profile
New user
Beaver, PA
73 Posts

Of course, this wouldn't be terribly difficult either...

http://www.candyconceptsinc.com/Four-Pan......996.html
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
389 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Nice find, FatherWilliam. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Silverthorne
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Thank you for finding this Father, I think it is a great table, farily easy to build, and the fabric front gives two major benefots. One is less weight to carry around, the other is the ability to change the fabric for different venues or shows. One idea that comes to mind is a fold out front that is the reveal of a chosen card or some such.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I REALLY like that first one! Great find!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
579 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
Thanks for posting this. I love the first one. I'm with Cliffg37 about the ability to change the fabric for different venues or shows.
I will have to make one of these myself.

Emmett Smile
Christian Wilde
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Christian Wilde
Very interesting. I'm looking into ways to make table legs fold under the table. This looks somewhat easier to accomplish than a Harbin-style folding system. Maybe not so flashy but equally practical Smile
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
The first one reminds me of a Mak Magic Night Club Table with an extra section in the front.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2015, Eldon wrote:
The first one reminds me of a Mak Magic Night Club Table with an extra section in the front.

Yes. I was intrigued by the hinge down the center. That element usually looks ugly on a solid panel, but this "frame" design is made for that feature.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I have been thinking about building one of these, and I seem to have missed something. The hinges don't line up right to my eyes.

The front center line of the table folds on the hinges forward, bringing the right and left sides together.
So far so good.
But the side pieces? They look like the wings fold inside. This would not allow the the front to fully close as the picture on the web site shows.

Am I wrong?

I would put the front hinge on the outside where the fabric will cover it easily. The center folds inward and then the wings fold out to make the whole thing fairly flat.
Magic is like Science,
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
389 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
I think the center ones are lose pin hinges.
Regards,
Silverthorne
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
That would do it.
Thanks.
Magic is like Science,
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
No need for loose pin hinges, Just mount them properly so the whole table accordion folds. If you look at all the photos, you will see huge discrepancies. It also shows what appears to be a hinge once placed and then removed. I chalk all this up to the genius of some foreign assembly line worker. The rear view shows the hinges all mounted on the inside. The front view shows different. Neither configuration will work.

Mount the side panel hinges so the sides fold inward, and mount the front center hinges so the front sides fold toward each other. Also, you could mount the front center hinges by mortising them on the inside edges. This would allow you to have 2 half fronts, like two tall frames side by side. Mounting the hinges this way (like a door), would hide all but the barrel of the hinges, for a neater appearance.

Also, I would make the inner shelf a bit wider (front to back), and notch the back corners (like the front corners are now) so it locks in place a bit more securely.

You can surely build one of these for half or less of the asking price. The fun part would be finding the fabric design desired, as that will make or break the whole thing, IMO.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
There are specialty hinges that would allow for the folding as shown. They are typically used for TV hutch doors. They are available at most woodworking specialty stores and at many hardware stores. http://www.rockler.com/270deg-overlay-hinge
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
thomhaha
View Profile
Regular user
northfield IL
160 Posts

Profile of thomhaha
The Ikea Ivar shelving could easily become the frames for the first table. With Michael's excellent description, it should take an afternoon or two!
FatherWilliam57
View Profile
New user
Beaver, PA
73 Posts

Any suggestions for an appropriate wheel set and where to mount them? I am thinking four, two on the back legs and two on the "outside" legs of the front panel. Or would the center legs of the front panel need support? Thoughts?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Four should be fine. When the table is folded, there will be an even distribution of legs, so it will remain more or less upright. I see no reason to add support under the center point when it's open, unless you really plan to load it down with heavy props. All the weight will be distributed evenly among the four casters.

Because there is likely not enough surface to mount plate style casters, I'd go for stem and socket types, but I want to make sure the frame was made of good hardwood (Oak, Cherry, Maple, etc.), not something soft like pine. Also, the stiles should be of a dimension so there is plenty of room to drill for and mount the sockets... I'd think a minimum of 1"x1". Larger might be better. Check the available casters before cutting wood, if you haven't already.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
First one is a great design. You could buy the panes as cabinet doors from somewhere like IKEA if you didn't want to make all the frames. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/produc......20220954

The only drawback is the shelves aren't connected so you would need a bag or bungie to transport.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
If you zoom in on the picture you can see the corner hinges are a different style then the center hinges. They allow for the thickness of the front panel and allow it to fold over. Simpler and cheaper would be what Michael suggess.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
What do you think about the height. Where would you like the top and the shelf relative to your own body? (The one in the OP is 39" high, but we're all built a bit different.)
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How Hard Could It Be? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL