The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » At last, able to find the time to do things! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4791 Posts

Profile of landmark
" 'Leap second' will give you a (very) little more time in 2015

If you were hoping to find a little more time for yourself or your loved ones in the new year, you are in luck: 2015 is going to be exactly one second longer than 2014.

"It's not like the leap day, which everyone knows about years in advance," said John Lowe, who works at the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Boulder, Colo. "It's not predictable. Nobody knows when the next one will be."

The extra second will be tacked on to the final minute of June 30. On that day, the official atomic clocks that keep Universal Coordinated Time will mark the time as 23h 59m 59s, followed by the leap second 23h 59m 60s. July 1 will continue as usual, beginning with 0h 0m 0s."

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-le......lat-pick
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Thanks for this. I was watching a doco last week which said...the magnitude 9 quake that struck off Japan may have shaved about 1.8 millionths of a second off the calendar... and I wanted to know more.

thanks.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1116 Posts

Profile of imgic
At last...the time I need to perfect my classic pass!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4791 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
At last...the time I need to perfect my classic pass!

I'm working on my seconds...
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1820 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Great! Now I can catch up with painting and repairing all those things that need fixing around the house.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » At last, able to find the time to do things! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL