The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making electronic flashes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
I just got a flash from a disposable camera. Anyone have any idea how I can modify it into a electronic flash?

Thanks.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22579 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Limhanchung,

Yes, send a check to John Cornelius, the FISM winner. He has this product on the market for years. It is called FISM FLASH, it also has a toe switch as well has other ways to set it off.

Already been invented, but as they say great minds think alike.

Bill
Aroy
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Aroy
If you so decide to open up the innards of the camera, be extremely careful in handling the unit.

The capacitor stores a high electrical charge and can give you a nasty jolt.

ROY
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Limhanchung

AROY is right, Capacitors can pack a nasty wallop.
"Probably" not enough to Kill you in a small flash attachment, but it could definitely do you some damage.

If you are in, or can get to, a large city in Malaysia, they will undoubtedly have an electronics market area. Go there and explain what you want. Someone there will sell you one for, probably alot, less than you can make it for.

Plus you don't have to worry about it exploding on you if you wire it wrong.

Steve
Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22579 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Limhanchung,

You live in the center of the electronic capital of the World and you are asking us.

Just call an electronics company, ask to talk to an engineer. I did this once here in America, the engineer was very helpful. I told him I was a magician and wanted an experts advice.

Have your questions ready. You may strike up a partnership.

Bill
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Check the Café archives I think we discussed this about a year ago. There were some science web sites that told you how to modify a disposable camera flash safely.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I do like the polapulse batteries form the old polaroid film packs!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
189 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
Roy is right...the capacitor can give you a nasty bolt of electricity...I have been there!!!

Scott
mnmagic
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mnmagic
Last I checked John Cornelius was no long manufactuing the FISM flash and when he was he had stopped including toe switches.

Shawn
Brad Hall
View Profile
New user
Tulsa, Ok
40 Posts

Profile of Brad Hall
I second the warning about incorrect wiring. I got the positive/negative backwards on a fairly small capacitor. First I heard a "psssss", so naturally I took a closer look at the circuit board and....BOOM! The next thing I knew that sucker blew off the board like a torpedo, hitting me right between the eyes. Fortunately, I only sustained minor damage, mostly to my ego. My wife still likes to kid me about the red circle between my eyebrows.... I'll never live it down... be careful.
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Just came to tell you guys I just got a nasty jolt from the camera. Ouch!
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
HeHeHe,
I did it too, it shocked the $#^+ out of me! It got me on the belly while I had it tucked in my waistband. that's the dangers of experimenting!

I finally got the Fism and it is a lot brighter than the disposible camera flashes.

Tim
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
269 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
Make Your Own Fism Flash Magic Trick Revealed! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7JGz6_wEsU

At about 4:40 he tells you how to discharge the capacitor.

I suppose you might be able to move the bulb off the circuit board.

Thom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making electronic flashes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL