The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A brief history lesson on democracy...American Style (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 4,630+ posts, only credited with
127 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Landmark, the problem is we are all considered equal, but unfortunately that doesn't achieve equality. Unless groups or stakeholders each have an equal number of participants, then the majority will get it's way. As an example, Every year the budget battle is broken into factions, such as more policeman. more teachers, building a senior center, build a new school, etc. The money always goes to the group with the most clout which in most cases equates to the most votes which in turn means the largest number of common stakeholders will always dominate the smaller groups and have their priorities addressed more frequently. Is it a democracy? Yes. Is it equality? No.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4791 Posts

Profile of landmark
I don't have a problem with one person, one vote; to me, that's democracy. I do have a problem with one dollar, one vote. To me, that's corruption.
That said, agreed that it's important that the majority doesn't abuse the minority. That's not a new problem--and there have been many proposed fixes for that e.g.

1) A bill of rights or a Constitution which enumerates the kinds of laws and rights which even the majority may not abridge;
2) Require a supermajority for passage of certain kinds of legislation;
3) Town meetings where people through discussion attempt to reach a consensus through compromise and negotiation;
4) Conscious organizing by smaller groups with other smaller groups who have shared interests.

In the US the problem is much less that the majority overrides the minority will; it is much more that Big money overrides all other wills combined.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15919 Posts

Profile of tommy
Do you get to choose the candidates there? Or does Rockefeller stick them both up?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2015, tommy wrote:
Do you get to choose the candidates there? Or does Rockefeller stick them both up?

Rockefeller is basically dead. Our candidates are chosen by the Trilateral Commission with Rockefeller propped up in the corner slobbering either white smoke or black smoke out of his pipe to let them know which candidate he approves of.

At least, that's what they told me at the last orgy I attended at Bohemian Grove. They might have lied to me, since I had cheated most of them out of their clothes using second deals in games of strip poker.

Tommy, does your hypocrisy know no bounds?
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
It's a Brave New World.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4791 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2015, tommy wrote:

Rockefeller is basically dead. Our candidates are chosen by the Trilateral Commission with Rockefeller propped up in the corner slobbering either white smoke or black smoke out of his pipe to let them know which candidate he approves of.

At least, that's what they told me at the last orgy I attended at Bohemian Grove. They might have lied to me, since I had cheated most of them out of their clothes using second deals in games of strip poker.

Tommy, does your hypocrisy know no bounds?

But surely Stone that's a very relevant question with regards to a representational democracy (i.e. a republic if you must). One of the big pitfalls is the question as to whether the representatives are truly representative. What kind of safeguards are in place to assure that that is true? Here of course is where money has the upper hand if we are not vigilant. Again, IMO, not only are we not vigilant in the US but we actively subvert the democratic process, whether you want to call it Rockefellerism, corporatism, or the two-party monopoly.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4803 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, landmark wrote:

In the US the problem is much less that the majority overrides the minority will; it is much more that Big money overrides all other wills combined.

True- it's the fact that both the Democrats and Republicans cater to lobbyists and the amount of their contributions in which case the government acts as a democracy not a republic.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Seems to me that the function of a constitution and an independent judiciary is to provide a bulwark to protect the individual from the blunt force of the state and the abuse of the majority. N'est-ce pas?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
N'est-ce pas?

Oui oui.

And I think that it works pretty well.

Maybe what makes me very strange is that I think the system works pretty well. Like Churchill said.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A brief history lesson on democracy...American Style (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL